|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Concerns About Going Full Time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar is not going to do you much good in NY in the Winter. The sun is too low and the days too short. You don't want to run a generator for hours to keep up with the furnace.

I would go back to the marina owner and discuss getting an electric hook up. Worst case you could park near the office at night and move in the morning. Using an electric space heater even just at night would be a big help and your batteries would be charged if you needed to run the furnace during the day. Under no circumstances would I trust any unvented heater, even if it is catalytic.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/20 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it!!! 10 years ago when I got my current Lance 815, I use to go out boondocking in 0* temps. This camper is NOT built for cold weather camping but I managed just fine for a couple of nights. Make sure you have a good 0* sleeping bag to use as a beadspread. Then turn the furnace to it's lowest setting which is about 52*. Will still be more than warm enough to keep you water from freezing and save a lot of propane.

Make sure you leave a roof vent cracked just a smidge and the pass trhough window. If you feel a draft at either location, probably opened them up to much. This is to create a very slight draft to remove the moisture from your breathing. If cooking things that generate moisture, you will need to open things up a bit more. Moisture is going to be you biggest headache, but with some tuning the above will take care of most of the problems.

In the windows you don't plan on looking out, put in some refectix or foam board. Same goes for the vents you don't plan on using.

Lastly, get a battery montoring system that provides amp/hr status along with draw/input. THis will give you the best idea of your battery status providng a better idea how long you need to run the generator and when. Also, make sure the battery is protected from the cold as that will sap a lot of the power. On my camper, I put a piece of 1/2 foam in the door that blocked most of the venting, but still provides a little.

Good luck and congrats on trying to save money. Even if you only manage to do it for a year, hopefully that will cover your investment in the camper and truck.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moonlitsouls wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

I'm going to weigh in on the dating thing, as a female (probably older than you, but not dead).

If I liked someone, and knew the reasons behind the move, I would not be put off by the truck camper thing. MANY people in NYC and other HCOL areas are living in house share situations, boats, etc. I don't think your setup is any more strange than that.

You do want to make sure your TC is tidy and organized and smells good.

lol the smell good part got me. oh its smells good alright

As in, not like dirty socks or dirty toilet. [emoticon]

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 12:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given his reply i would say its more of a diesel smell. 

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 01:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like you'd be a good candidate for converting a TC heating system from propane to a webasto diesel heater.

Definitely check to see if there's any 120v plug. that be a big help. Remember to get a big enough gauge extension cord for the length of run. I'm a zero expert in solar, but as someone pointed out, lots of cloudy days in winter are gonna screw your charging.

Wave 8 is quite big. Maybe the next size down. And look into what the manufacturers spec for fresh air in/outtake is required for safe operation.

Leave a giant dog dish outside the camper plus a 3/4" rope, tied to the jack leg, with as big a clasp on the end as you can find. [emoticon]

Go with 1" rigid foam board insulation that's foil on one side for the windows and vents and skylights in the ceiling. You want a tight fit. (not on the open ones if you're using a cat heater....)

If you're leaving the camper on the truck and it's going to be parked there most of the time, you could stuff the voids in the truck bed with insulation to help keep the tanks warm. Just don't stuff it too tight as that's not how it works best. If the TC is off the truck most of the time, you could adhere 1-2" foam board around the camper base to keep the heat in.

I think it's going to be a good deal of trial and error to get what works.

Please keep us posted on your adventures! I think it could be a great read and informative for many people. Maybe even Sticky worthy.

Best of luck!!!

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

moonlitsouls wrote:

notsobigjoe wrote:

My comments are mostly about the situation of FTing in a TCer and not directed at you personally. Take it or leave it...

My wife travels all the time for work and I go camping. Mostly about a week or two. I know there are many full timers and god bless them but I'm ready to go home after about a week. But, I'm not really set up to full time it in my 1181. I have seen TCer's that are ready to full time like the mammoth as they can be ordered with home amenities like a washer/dryer unit and things like that. Even though the mammoth is huge for a truck camper it's still pretty small to live in. Your going to be working and playing in your situation that means two sets of cloths, shoes, snow boots, food for at least three meals a day x 7 days, washing and drying cloths at a laundromat, dumping, fresh water, electric etc.. have all just become a new routine so you can live in your TCer. Now you will have to provide yourself with all these amenities instead of just paying for them. That's big! Propane use in a northeastern winter is going to be twice a week filling routine and truck campers are cold even with the best insulation. When you open your door every bit of heat in that unit is going out on the ground. If your retired and living in a warmer climate I would think would shave off some of this but your not. As far as dating...LOL I can't say, I haven't had a date in 33 years. I genuinely wish you good luck but would recommend a stationary TT set up in a camp ground permanently. They're all over the place on Craigslist. Keep us posted!
Joe

appreciate you, what are these stationary TT setups? it sounds like i want that. i am sure something like that is super expensive if its anywhere close to NYC

I think notsobigjoe has been nipping on the Christmas Egg nog already!
Stationary TT is code for mobile home, but even cheaper....and NOT mobile! Rather odd suggestion actually.
The rest of the stuff, yeah live n learn, you'll burn some propane. IDK about 2x a week or 6 bottles a week. Maybe if it's 0 degrees out.
The rest, again, i dont understand him. By myself, I packed for a month (no laundry, so yes about 30pr of underwear and socks) + ALL food, and the camper was not as full as the family going for a week.

No, sorry so vague. I was talking about something like this. Obviously not in NY but for description purposes only.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/rvs/d/midway-permanent-campsite-on-tn/7249383414.html

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

LOL it never gets that cold here, you're thinking upstate NY by the Canadian border! We had a cold snap this week with the snow, and it will be 19* tonight, but heading into the weekend and next week it will be 40's during the day and low 30's at night. That's about where winters having been at the last 10 years.

We did have an "arctic blast" where it got down to the -5 range for a day or two, but those are anomalies.

Yeah but you still have to plan for those "anomalies.

Down into the teens just takes a little planning.

Admittedly a bigger and needing more heat but we've been thru a couple of those -5F snaps in a well insulated 28ft 5th wheel...a 30# propane tank per day with 2 - 1500w space heaters running 24/7...and it's still only 55F inside. Even worse on the water, that is probably coming with a storm so you have to consider the wind chill effect.

Again, not saying it can't be done but it's not fun.

If he's also getting electricity from a propane generator, he's going to need more/bigger propane tanks. 100-200w of solar panels isn't going to be close to serving his need if the furnace is running non-stop.

Also what's the backup plan if your furnace goes out? A lot of RV techs take the winter off or go down south to service snowbirds.

We got caught out before driving out of the cold areas we've been in, so we could escape the really cold weather with the electric heaters supplementing (via shore power). The OP is planning to ride it out, so he needs to have a plan in mind...especially with an RV he just bought and of unknown condition.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:

No, sorry so vague. I was talking about something like this. Obviously not in NY but for description purposes only.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/rvs/d/midway-permanent-campsite-on-tn/7249383414.html

ROTFLMAO!!!! "No Rottweilers, Pitbulls or Dobermans!" But little yappy dogs are just fine!
Wonder what happens when someone shows up with an Italian Mastiff? And a black one at that.....

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess cold resilience depends on your age and background too. A 75 yr old from Florida is gonna have a different experience then a 20 yr old from Siberia!! LOL

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

LOL it never gets that cold here, you're thinking upstate NY by the Canadian border! We had a cold snap this week with the snow, and it will be 19* tonight, but heading into the weekend and next week it will be 40's during the day and low 30's at night. That's about where winters having been at the last 10 years.

We did have an "arctic blast" where it got down to the -5 range for a day or two, but those are anomalies.

Yeah but you still have to plan for those "anomalies.

Down into the teens just takes a little planning.

Admittedly a bigger and needing more heat but we've been thru a couple of those -5F snaps in a well insulated 28ft 5th wheel...a 30# propane tank per day with 2 - 1500w space heaters running 24/7...and it's still only 55F inside. Even worse on the water, that is probably coming with a storm so you have to consider the wind chill effect.

Again, not saying it can't be done but it's not fun.

If he's also getting electricity from a propane generator, he's going to need more/bigger propane tanks. 100-200w of solar panels isn't going to be close to serving his need if the furnace is running non-stop.

Also what's the backup plan if your furnace goes out? A lot of RV techs take the winter off or go down south to service snowbirds.

We got caught out before driving out of the cold areas we've been in, so we could escape the really cold weather with the electric heaters supplementing (via shore power). The OP is planning to ride it out, so he needs to have a plan in mind...especially with an RV he just bought and of unknown condition.

Burbman is correct, Born and raised in Queens village it really doesn't get that cold in NYC but very icy all the time in winter.

Valhalla, I agree totally! It can be done but away from a dedicated campground with electric heat, water/sewer on demand It's going to be a full time job. It is just a camper. Once the little plastic lines freeze they are totally useless and must be replaced. Propane is not a realistic option outside of a weekly delivery to a 100 pound tank. PITA besides the cost is going to be alot of dollars for the propane alone. The water heater is 6 gallons it's going to run until he shuts it off, will he have to drain it, I don't know. It's gonna be full time work. Anyway it will also be an adventure!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Concerns About Going Full Time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.