|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Concerns About Going Full Time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will want more propane capacity and lower cost. You could get 1 or more 100 pound propane tanks, find your parking space next to a pole or something that you can chain them to, then run a hose into the propane compartment of your camper. The big tanks are way cheaper per gallon to fill, and will eliminate the frequent fills. You could probably even arrange to have then filled right there at the marina by a delivery service. Just make sure you get vapor tanks, not liquid tanks. Liquid 100# LP tanks have an internal tube from the valve to the bottom of the tank so they draw the liquid off the bottom. They have external threads on the valve. Vapor tanks draw gas from the top of the tank as it evaporates off of the liquid. 100# vapor LP tanks have internal threads.

Or else you could get a propane supplier to lease you a large tank, 100 gallons or so, and keep it full for you.

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi Joel wrote:

You will want more propane capacity and lower cost. You could get 1 or more 100 pound propane tanks, find your parking space next to a pole or something that you can chain them to, then run a hose into the propane compartment of your camper. The big tanks are way cheaper per gallon to fill.

Any chain and lock is going to be easily defeated if someone wants the tank. Plus the hose can be cut for schits and giggles.
Is your propane sold by the size of tank? We're by the pound. And a pound is a pound no matter if it's a 20 or 100 pound tank.

Maybe a 420lb upright tank. Hard to steal. But needs to be professionally hooked up and still isn't azzhole vandal proof.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And plan for your weekend jaunts upstate where it could be -20.
Again, it’s doable, but for a hardy adventurous handy type of person. It’s not like getting a hotel room with a kitchen.
But you’ll get good at peein in jugs or outdoors, taking a poop in gas station restrooms and showering at the local YMCA or Health Club, if they’re even open there.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You could get 1 or more 100 pound propane tanks, find your parking space next to a pole or something that you can chain them to, then run a hose into the propane compartment of your camper.

This is what i did years ago for long stays in the mountains for work but I didn't have a truck camper then...I have two of them now...Unless your pulling a trailer,there is no way to transport them with a TC..As far as theft goes,if someone really wants anything you have,they will find a way but and I say buttttttttt..I wanna see the guy that can throw a 25 gallon(100#) tank over his shoulder and run down the road...lol

Needless to say...There heavy and hard to move around..

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not even attempt to do what you are trying to do without shore power , you will have enough challenges. Even on your days upstate very few if any campgrounds are open past October. There are other marinas in the region . Start making some calls , perhaps one that is more commercial will have more facilities . Most propane dealers will supply the larger tanks when you contract with them . Good luck

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Billius

Dublin

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It always was a problem for me, but let's not talk about it. We need to switch to another topic. What do you think about dating and especially about hookup websites? Here is the ***Link Removed*** for you. I think that it's a great way to get laid without any problems. Have you tried it yourself?

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of creative suggestions and positive trouble shooting ideas. I think I only saw one person mention it just briefly so I thought I would bring it up again and emphasize it even though I don't have any personal experience with it...

Ditch the propane heater and see if you can get a diesel based heating system like the Truman Combi D6

https://www.truma.com/int/en/products/truma-heater/combi-d6

If shore power is unavailable, heating with Diesel I think is the only practical way to make this work for a longer period of time. With the right install, you can be sipping diesel from your truck fuel tank and fill up is just a matter of filling up the truck. Lugging around propane cylinders will get old fast and for the amount of heat you need in the winter, you will be doing it often.

Other two things, definitely go for more solar. I think you said you could get up to 370 watts but if you got creative, you could probably get more. Perhaps a custom fabrication that allows for wings to be folded out that extended past the sides of the camper when parked to provide more solar square footage.

The other thing will be your batteries. They don't like the cold but I'm sure your camper has that taken into account already. If they are lead acid batteries, I would upgrade to LiFePo4. Double the capacity for the same amount of space. The other benefit is less worry about completely discharging the batteries and damaging them. Remember that heaters have electronics and fans that pull power when running. I have a very inefficient heater that pulls nearly 200 watts when running. We don't camp in the winter so it isn't used much but the few times it has been cold enough to need to run the furnace all night it runs down our single LiFePo4. Getting it charged back up in winter can be difficult hence why you will want as much solar as you can get.

As far as the dating thing, maybe I'm old school but I think there is a difference between "dating" (finding a soul mate for life) and one night stands. If your dating in search of someone to spend your life with, you don't be taking them back to the camper right away as you try to get to know that person in neutral areas. By the time they may come to your camper, hopefully you would already would have discussed your living arrangement and given the positives about why you feel it's a good fit for your life goals at this stage. If they are a keeper, she will agree and support it.

On the other hand, if your looking for just hookups and one night stands, get a hotel room. No way your going to be bringing a one night stand to a marina late at night without alarm bells going off in her head and slasher movies coming to mind as they very well should be.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Concerns About Going Full Time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.