|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> DRV height

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the most accurate measurement check both sides of trailer, and take the average. And be sure the tape is plumb when checking
And if the tape says you are close, check the slope of ground before you decide it will fit. If your high point is in front of axles, and behind TV axle, floor inside level, but the ground slopes down towards the building, the TV will be above floor height when high point gets to header.

Hobo2

Brooksville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I came up with 13-3 ,but was wondering if I could get 3 inches lower bye letting enough air out of the tires before backing under.

Hobo2

Brooksville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the great Outdoors and the one that has 13-1 height price was lowered because of the height. They want 15,000 to raise the roof.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might get 2-3 inches from tires. But don't want to leave it set with tires that soft.
Might think about building something like the converter used to pull second of a pair of semi trailers. For walking speed/short distance a plate with hole would work for 5th wheel.
Back in until close to hit, allowing for lift as unload TV. Unhook, push dolly under pin, and lower. Hook dolly to bumper hitch, lift legs, back on in. Put weight on legs before unhook.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Letting air out may work, but would get tiresome, if in/out, fairly often. Maybe you could cut out 3"s or so from header, just 3 ft wide, enough to clear AC. You could add enforcing board to header, so not to weaken.

Jerry

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would NOT want to let my tires air down enough to get 3" more clearance ... That is a fast way to possibly damage sidewall from all that weight... even if its just a short distance... J.M.O.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

handsome51 wrote:

make sure you measure from the top of the AC unit to the ground

I have a fan forward of my Bedroom AC unit that has a FantasticBreeze cover. May or may not be the highest point. Bottom line measure from the HIGHEST point.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hobo2 wrote:

I came up with 13-3 ,but was wondering if I could get 3 inches lower bye letting enough air out of the tires before backing under.

Sure you can but do you want to???

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

You might get 2-3 inches from tires. But don't want to leave it set with tires that soft.
Might think about building something like the converter used to pull second of a pair of semi trailers. For walking speed/short distance a plate with hole would work for 5th wheel.
Back in until close to hit, allowing for lift as unload TV. Unhook, push dolly under pin, and lower. Hook dolly to bumper hitch, lift legs, back on in. Put weight on legs before unhook.

Newer DRV's have a flat roof.

[image]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Newer DRV's have a flat roof.

[image]

Looking at the picture, I see things sticking up from the roof.
Most semi trailers have flat roofs, but when hooked to a tractor the front is higher than rear. I bet the same applies to 5th wheels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> DRV height
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.