|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric space heaters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/20 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious if anyone has a good safe electric heater to use to heat a 30' fifth wheel overnight? Would like to supplement the propane furnace on colder nights.
Thanks,
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Curly2001,

The safest may be the oil filled units. Their surface temperature is lower.

The nicest heat may come from radiant units--but the bright orange glow may keep you awake at night.

All heaters are equally efficient--approaching 100%.

My favorite heat source is electric heated carpets.

I can heat totally electrically at -34 F.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/20 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Safest would be RV Comfort Systems “Cheap Heat” electric add on furnace element. We installed before going full time works great. Purchase is not too cheap, but heats basement.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always just used the basic little cube style heaters. They go to 1500 watts and 2 different fan speeds.

Don't use them with an extension cord or plug strip. Check that the tip-over cutoff works. Set them in a place where they wont' get pushed against anything cloth or plastic. They are perfectly safe.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Costco member? Im freezing as i type this and close to pulling the trigger on the Dyson HP02 thats on sale. From what ive researched its the same model as the HP04 that is sold everywhere besides costco for a higher price. 

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I yank the chicken poop original wire out of 1,650 watt heaters and replace it with 14/2 heavy zipcord. And a real plug. Electrical in my life is not allowed to heat the power cord or plug. I have found too many showing a Delta T of 70°F. Unplug and the original plug prongs will make you yipe "ouch" brand new out of the box. I do not want early morning drama.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 02:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm interested in what type of heater you guys are running that has heated/melted your extension cords? Or what gauge cords you're using?

As for the OP. I look at my best bet being on a "bigger" name in the game as being "safer". Though I have little more than faith in that thinking. Howell, Sunbeam, Noma, Panasonic. Dyson if you like paying triple for the Gucci factor.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is not the heater. most of them are safe now days (I like to avoid the ones that glow red however) Ceramics tend to be very compact. Oil filled very large. But all of them give exactly the same amount of heat for the same amount of electricity. all heaters are 100% efficient so if the maker says something like "3 times more efficient" they are lying. (The reason is in an electrical system all losses express as heat, with a heater this is the desired output so all losses are recovered).

Page 2: The Danger
Quick box or Unibox outlets use punch down connectors that are great at say 100mA or less (telephone current) but not so good when the amps hit double digits.

A 1500 watt heater is 12.5 amps I had one outlet overheat I've seen them melted down and wires broken and acing. Serious fire hazard AND I AM NOT AN RV SERVICE TECHINICIAN just what I've seen

I used assorted electric heaters. mostly hot (but not red) wire, some ceramic. for 15 years. But I also installed special circuits (3 of them) two were dedicatred circuit breaker via 12ga wire to a 15/20 amp duplex outlet (has a "T" shaped neutral slot) the third was 12-ga from a dedicated breaker to a GFCI (Kitchen 2) with a 2nd standard Duplex "Daisy" off the GFCI (Also GFCI protected)

Never smelled hot wire after that.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used a number of different electric heaters, some better than others. I found one that I really like, and it's built better than most, with a HD cord/plug, that does not get hot.

[image]

It is a Tenergy 750/1500 heater.

Jerry

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Don said, I believe the oil filled are the safest, especially if you have kids or pets around. I got this little 400 watt oil filled to use as a supplement. oil filled
We use it to avoid winterizing in borderline twmps. In my 27' Winnie it will keep the temps about 12 degrees warmer than outside on its own and then we set the furnace to 40-45 so if it gets too cold the furnace still kicks in.
And at 400 watts it's not hard on the 30 amp load limit we have in our rig.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric space heaters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.