|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric space heaters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1,

I think the brand name was something like "tempertek" for the electric heated carpets.

Found it!

https://www.tempurtechmanufacturing.com/

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it wasnt so dang expensive the Dyson HP04 would work great in a trailer. Especially if you have animals and leave them inside while you go to work. Being able to check the temp and control the heater over you phone is awesome. For me i would use it to keep the water pipes from freezing when i have to leave for a day or two. I usually set my furnace and leave with the gas turned on. Would much rather turn the gas off and heat with electric. Havnt found any data on actual power usage. If i end up getting one i will plug it into a watt meter and see how much power it uses over the course of days and weeks. 
I was wrong about the HP02 at costco. That is the older HP01 version that does not push as much air. Hard to find specs even on the Dyson website. Im getting the best info from youtube reviews. Apparently on cool mode the air that comes out is cooler. It might have to do with how they amplify the speed of the air. I havnt watched the videos on the Dyson website yet. None of the youtube videos have mentioned how that actually works. To me that sounds great because come summertime the trailer gets into the high 90s inside. Having the ability to check the inside temp and make the fan turn on over my phone sounds like fun!!!  Even if that means only knocking it down 5 degrees. 
Cheapest ive seen is $429 on one of those tv shows. I went to their website and its up to 599 i think. Maybe 499. Hoping to score one after xmas. Or check your local offer up. I see a guy who has a about 10 in a warehouse. Might see if he will match the $429 i saw online. 

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curly2001 wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I need to look at the wiring in the trailer to make sure the boxes are decent. It even makes me think that electric blankets could cause the same problems with their current draw.
Curly

I would not waste time doing that' IF YOU KNOW HOW (I DO) then you can install special outlets as I did. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW. get someone who does to do it. In my case the manufacturer kind of screwed up (By that I mean it was easy to install 2 of the 3 added circuits and not all that hard on #3
THe location of the breaker panel was ideal.. For one I ran a short 12 ga line (about 12-18") is all cut the hole in the bedroom wall and put in the box.. Easy Peasy.

The Living room took a longer run but the path was all "pre-drilled" so I just ran the cable around the loop and there it was.

The Kitchen 2 I had to run through existing holed down into the wet bay,, pull through with my electrical fish rod (I think I used an actual fishing pole on that wire) and back up into the Living space then along existing holes to the mounting point. That was the HARD one took me about an hour.

But 12 ga wire (Rated 20 amps in wall) either 15 or 20 amp breakers (your choice I use one 20) and 15/20 amp outlets BOX mounted like they used to do everywhere... No "unibox" stuff. You can safely use a 15 amp breaker with 20 amp wires and outlets. but NOT the other way around. Why Did I go with 20 amp capable wire/outlet... I believe in safety margins or overbuilding.. The cost.. perhaps $1.00 more for the job I did. The level of Security .. Worth thousands.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used 3 portable heaters over many years of use. One was a small cube style which was noisy so I gave it away. The other 2 are regular style 1500 heaters, one has manual controls, the other is digital. Both have lasted a long time. I clean them every few years with air from my compressor. I run a 12 guage extension cord out thru a slideout seal and plug in the the campground power box so the heater is on it's own circuit. I either set the heater on the floor on a ceramic plate from an old microwave or open the stove oven door and set the heater on it. So no concern about overheating anything. On rare occasions when I need 2 heaters I plug the second one into the outlet for the microwave which are usually wired better.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I would avoid digitally controlled heaters. If the power "blips" they may turn off.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest an oil filled radiant unit and a second small cube heater to move air about. We have a small cube heater ($16) from Wal Mart. Had it five years. Really helps

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest an oil filled radiant unit and a second small cube heater to move air about. We have a small cube heater ($16) from Wal Mart. Had it five years. Really helps

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Curly2001 wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I need to look at the wiring in the trailer to make sure the boxes are decent. It even makes me think that electric blankets could cause the same problems with their current draw.
Curly

I would not waste time doing that' IF YOU KNOW HOW (I DO) then you can install special outlets as I did. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW. get someone who does to do it. In my case the manufacturer kind of screwed up (By that I mean it was easy to install 2 of the 3 added circuits and not all that hard on #3
THe location of the breaker panel was ideal.. For one I ran a short 12 ga line (about 12-18") is all cut the hole in the bedroom wall and put in the box.. Easy Peasy.

The Living room took a longer run but the path was all "pre-drilled" so I just ran the cable around the loop and there it was.

The Kitchen 2 I had to run through existing holed down into the wet bay,, pull through with my electrical fish rod (I think I used an actual fishing pole on that wire) and back up into the Living space then along existing holes to the mounting point. That was the HARD one took me about an hour.

But 12 ga wire (Rated 20 amps in wall) either 15 or 20 amp breakers (your choice I use one 20) and 15/20 amp outlets BOX mounted like they used to do everywhere... No "unibox" stuff. You can safely use a 15 amp breaker with 20 amp wires and outlets. but NOT the other way around. Why Did I go with 20 amp capable wire/outlet... I believe in safety margins or overbuilding.. The cost.. perhaps $1.00 more for the job I did. The level of Security .. Worth thousands.

Remove the front cover, if you see the following and no electrical work box then you have backstab outlets like the pix I posted..

[image]

[image]

Those two Phillips screws are the clamps holding the outlet to the paneling.

There is another older version (I can't find a pix of right now) which has no removable face plate and you will see those two Phillips head screws offset, those are also the same backstab outlets I posted.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a radiator style rated 1200 watts to limit amps to about 10 so as not to max out the circuit.
Brand is Delonghi purchased at Costco at least 10 years ago.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

2oldman wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Also, heated mattress pads work much better than heated blankets,
They do, as heat rises. My heater keeps my feet nice and toasty on the next to lowest setting even on the coldest nights. I'm not talking pianotuna cold, but 40° or lower.

40 degrees is cold we get down to the mid-tees at times. We also use heated mattress pad. Pianotuna’s heated carpet sounds interesting, warm feet!!

Tuna is Canadian. If I'm not mistaken, he's taking -40 degrees C.....not 40 deg. F....... [emoticon]

I believe "Saskatchewan" in the the local native language means "Who's the idiot that thought this Popsicle stand was a good place to settle"

* This post was edited 12/19/20 10:20pm by Bert the Welder *

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric space heaters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.