|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reminiscing Part 2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here I go, reminiscing again, this time about my first car, a '57 Ford.
The body was all metal and there were actual steel bumpers, front and rear. Bump something at low speed with a modern car and you would probably incur some significant damage $$.

The 6 cyl engine was easy to work on. Starter, fuel pump, plugs, distributor were easy to access. I did all the work myself, though I didn't have the skills to go inside the engine.

Transmission was 3 spd column shift (3 on the tree) and there were controls for manual throttle and choke. I think it had seat belts, no shoulder belts, but don't remember. Windows were mechanical, no automatic stuff at all. Crude by today's standards, but I still miss those times.[emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine was a 49 chevy convertable. This was in the mid fifties
I had four snow tires on it, (got them free to replace the four bald regular ones).
When I stopped at a gas station, it wasn't for gas. It was to top off the brake fluid.
I installed "Bermuda Bells" on it. (any one remember them ?)

I remember one Christmas eve a bunch of us riding around with the top down, singing Christmas Carols in the middle of a snow storm

Guy

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also remember installing a wolf whistle on the engine. It worked off of the intake manifold, as I remember. A solid wire was attached to a lever on the whistle and ran through the front dash with a ring on the end. Endless fun whistling at the pretty girls. Was also fun seeing the reaction with dogs. [emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure, but don't think seat belts where factory installed in '57.
My first car was a '39 Chevy 4 door sedan. (By the time I got a car I had a pre-war BSA MC, and a '54 GMC 3/4 pickup) Was told when I bought the car could only drive on the farm until I got DL, so I overhauled engine. Plasti-gauge Babbitt bearings on crank. File the caps for fit. Adding the numbers from catalog, Save up for the parts, shipping&handling, the price of Money Order, and postage to send in the order. Then wait for JC Whitney to send me the parts.
The first night I took that car to town, got stopped by deputy. Handed him my 2 day old DL he looked at me, "You just turned 16? You have been driving around hear for years!"
If I went to town for farm business I could take 1 of the pickups. If went for fun, the bicycle, or if had gas money, sneak of on BSA. The 2 closest towns where both 6 miles, all dirt or gravel except the last couple miles of state highway.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First car was a 1968 FIAT 850 Sedan. Bought off my brother when he got married
Rolled it.....

Bought a 1967 Rambler Rebel 2 door with slant six
Gas Station...check the fuel and fill the crankcase with oil
Any long trip I carried a case of cheap oil in trunk

Finally got rid of it ----traded it in on a 1966 Dodge Coronet with 318 V8

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Not sure, but don't think seat belts where factory installed in '57...

I know for a fact that there was no lap belts factory or otherwise in the '57 Chev 2-door a close family friend of ours owned.

Being in a wreck it it, my older sister bounced her head off the windshield and to this day still suffers from problems. How she lived after that blow was a miracle. The driver got that pointed horn button in her chest, internal injuries and knocked out cold and also a long recovery. My brother and I in the back seat were unhurt. The fact that we tossed forward against the folding front seats probably contributed to the front seat occupants injuries.

Mr. Google says seat belts made mandatory in 1968/

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First car was a '51 chevy 4door sedan DELUX three speed manual with the old 250ci inline 6 cylinder. This was in '61 and just married. I worked 2 miles from home. Hard frosty mornings or ice or snow I would let it high idle with the choke out and ate breakfast while it blubbered out clouds of black smoke while the heater cleared the windows. This caused 4-5 mpgs in the winter.
First truck was a '58 3/4 ton GMC granny 4 speed and a piston slapping 258ci in line six. This was in '62 and was my first truck that I started making money with. One rough riding truck with 9 total very short..very thin..leaf springs. I think the only thing that flexed on the rear axle was the old nylon 10 ply tires (8 body plies plus two over the tread= 10 ply rated). Anyone ever used nylon tires knows all about tire bounce till they warm up and round out.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Not sure, but don't think seat belts where factory installed in '57...

I know for a fact that there was no lap belts factory or otherwise in the '57 Chev 2-door a close family friend of ours owned.

Being in a wreck it it, my older sister bounced her head off the windshield and to this day still suffers from problems. How she lived after that blow was a miracle. The driver got that pointed horn button in her chest, internal injuries and knocked out cold and also a long recovery. My brother and I in the back seat were unhurt. The fact that we tossed forward against the folding front seats probably contributed to the front seat occupants injuries.

Mr. Google says seat belts made mandatory in 1968/

'63 was a good year for Ford in my extended family. A Econoline, 3 Fairlanes and a Galaxy. The Galaxy and 1 Fairlane had lap belts. Often old timers talk about how bad it would hurt to be in say a smart car, when it was hit by a pickup. Most refuse to admit how much damage was done to the people in the big steel cars when involved in a crash. Sure, the fender on a 1950s Chevy might be stronger than the bumper of a late model Ralph Nader started a conversation that made cars much safer in impact. Plus the improvements that mean fewer impacts.

JIMNLIN wrote:

First car was a '51 chevy 4door sedan DELUX three speed manual with the old 250ci inline 6 cylinder. This was in '61 and just married. I worked 2 miles from home. Hard frosty mornings or ice or snow I would let it high idle with the choke out and ate breakfast while it blubbered out clouds of black smoke while the heater cleared the windows. This caused 4-5 mpgs in the winter.
First truck was a '58 3/4 ton GMC granny 4 speed and a piston slapping 258ci in line six. This was in '62 and was my first truck that I started making money with. One rough riding truck with 9 total very short..very thin..leaf springs. I think the only thing that flexed on the rear axle was the old nylon 10 ply tires (8 body plies plus two over the tread= 10 ply rated). Anyone ever used nylon tires knows all about tire bounce till they warm up and round out.

In '61 a 250 would of been a brand new engine, if it was on the market. ('63 IIRC) '51 would of been 235. And long about then the cars with Powerglide had a improved lubrication system

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also remember a station wagon the family owned as we were growing up in the 50's. I think it was a Chevy. The 6 cyl engine was called "the blue flame 6", and the auto tranny was only 2 speed. The engine had developed an oil leak, and my father was constantly adding oil(a curious opaque dark greenish color). I think the constant addition of fresh oil contributed to the longevity of the engine, which I recall was over 100k miles (considered high mileage back then).

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember sitting on the fender, under the hood of my 71 Chevy truck with my feet inside while I wrestled with the exhaust manifold.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reminiscing Part 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.