|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reminiscing Part 2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

When seat belts first became standard, I didn’t like them and thought they were too restrictive. Of course, I always wear seat/shoulder belt now and don’t feel it’s restrictive at all. Plus, it’s the law.

Late '80s the local LEO started to stop CMVs if the driver wasn't wearing belt. My old Pete only had lap belt, so could not be seen from ground. In theory, should not be issue. Stop, show belt, be on your way. In practice, once stopped, safety inspect truck until find a fine. Had about a dozen tee shirts with wide stripe from left shoulder to right waist.

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although I started a similar topic posted years ago, I will re-elaborate my first of vehicles :

Vehicle driven for driver license test :

1968 Ford Thunderbird (4 door suicide) - family owned vehicle
429 V8 - C6 trans

Test official was so impressed with the luxurious features and the sheer power she wanted the car, and told me to turn on the radio after having to parallel park in busy traffic as she gave me a 98 out of 100 score and became a licensed driver at 16.

June 1981 - Hollywood DMV - Los Angeles CA

First vehicle owned :

1969 Pontiac Custom S (Tempest) - $50 purchase price
350 V8 - Powerglide 2 speed trans

Purchased tune up parts, spark plugs, wires, a $50 Shell lifetime battery, lifter free additive, and fresh gas in order to get it running....then the pet goat ate the entire vinyl off the rooftop and made it look like a Baja California car, but blended right in every bad neighborhood I commuted in....

Second vehicle owned :

1974 Plymouth Road Runner - $150 purchase price
318 V8 - 3 speed standard (floor shift)

Rear diff was shot (4.11 posi) but had a rebuildable 383 V8 onhand that I was going to use for this gem of a car, however due to not being economically viable finding a cheap deal for a rear diff at any junk yard, had to trade my 383 V8 for a rear diff assembly off a 1972 Coronet station wagon that would work and did a straight trade and pay $35 for a custom driveline that had to be cut to length and balanced...

The only drawback was - it had 3.26 gearing and the car accelerated slow like a tractor, however the benefits were idling with no throttle at 15 mph on trails in high 3rd gear without ever locking up, and got great gas mileage on the freeways with feather throttle at 60 mph, very economical to drive around.

Third vehicle owned :

1970 Ford Thunderbird (2 door) - $325 purchase price
429 V8 - C6 trans

People thought I was crazy buying this "ugly car" that had no driver side window with a shot transmission (that I made it last over 8000 miles) but I knew what I had, first vehicle purchased in Alaska....

When I announced I was going to drive this car to Los Angeles and back in 1985, over 90% of everyone I told said to me I would never make it with that car on a one way trip, let alone a round trip....

Six round trips later from Fairbanks AK to Los Angeles CA and back between 1985 and 1991 (and then some), plus 41 round trips to Anchorage and back (400 plus miles each way) - this car has seen a lot of long distance travel (even crossed the Arctic Circle).

I still own the car to this very day after 36 years and 4 months from the first day I bought it, 113,000 rebuilt miles on the engine and 151,000 miles on the rebuilt transmission - it's only a summer commute rig.

This is one of the main factors where the AKsilvereagle name comes from.

1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (171K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AKSilvereagle- I had a 69 T-bird 2 door with the 429 and C-6 transmission. Wish I would have kept it, was in very good shape and no rust. I paid $1750. for mine and sold it for $1750.

Also had a 72 Ford F-250 camper special with a 390 in it. It was one tough truck.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading these comments reminds me of two other cars I've owned:

1. 1968 Firebird. OHC 6 cyl engine, 3 on the floor tranny. Was totaled when a car broadsided me in So Carolina. Driver was ex county sheriff, who was killed, and put me in the hospital together with a passenger friend. I was knocked unconscious and have no remembrance of the accident at all. I had a photo of my car post accident. The car had rolled over into a ditch and the roof was smashed down almost completely flush with the body. My passenger had to tell me later what happened . My injuries were some broken ribs and broken left collarbone.

Humorous experience when I first regained consciousness: When I opened my eyes there was this priest at the foot of my bed in black clothing and large silver cross around his neck looking at me. I thought I had died! [emoticon]

2. I replaced my first Firebird with another, a Firebird 400 with V-8, 4 on the floor, hood tachometer, mag wheels, etc. The hood tach lit up at night and passing vehicles would slow down to look at this novel thing. It was a chick magnet and passing girls were taking notice of me, which I didn't mind at all. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember some of the additives that were available then? I remember pouring into my engine cans of "motor honey" oil additive. Was supposed to be some sort of viscosity improver. It was as thick as real honey on a cold day and didn't seem to cause any problems in my vehicles. Of course there were numerous gasoline additives back then, but I don't remember their names.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Remember some of the additives that were available then? I remember pouring into my engine cans of "motor honey" oil additive. Was supposed to be some sort of viscosity improver. It was as thick as real honey on a cold day and didn't seem to cause any problems in my vehicles. Of course there were numerous gasoline additives back then, but I don't remember their names.

Sounds like STP. I used a lot of that when building engines and gearboxes. Had a old Ford I bought for junk. A guy told me to get it running, he would buy. Running was a piece of chicken but the rear end was howling to wake the dead. Drained the grease and shavings, dumped STP in box of sawdust, made balls that would fit thru plug hole and stuffed the housing full. He drove it all one winter.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sawdust was the miracle fix-all back in the day. Wonder when it went out of style.

I do remember when a friend was told he needed to clean his radiator out.He asked how....somehow liquid soap was mentioned. Well 1/2 a bottle,cap the radiator and drive it a bit. Must of drove a bit to far,cap blew off and suds every where.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Commercial product used rebranded as STP is called PARATONE N. It is used in compounding lubricating grease for the railroad.

Chlorinated hydrocarbons formed the base of television saturated runs-on-no-oil additives 30 years ago. Bad part was this garbage accelerated wear by a factor of ten.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I remember STP. If my memory is correct, motor honey was a separate product..
I also remember the strange looking motor oil my dad used to keep the Chevy wagon running. I distinctly remember it was a very dark greenishcolor, unlike oils you see today. (Oh, I think I mentioned that earlier). As I recall, there was also a lead additive available, for use in the fuel tank. You wouldn’t find that today! [emoticon]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tetraethyl Lead is incredibly poisonous. In the refinery entirely white hazmat suits were used with MSA airpacks to contain a leak or spill. To my knowledge the metal was never used in additives. Graphited toluene was dark and combustible.

In the mid 1960's retail gasoline was available in a highly lead dosed version. Chevron Custom Supreme and Sunoco 260 were 5.0+ gram per gallon leaded gasoline.

When I used Chevron Supreme gasoline dosed with 10% by volume ALKYLATE I turned faster ET ¼ mile dragstrip times as compared to Custom Supreme. A full tenth second quicker. That busted my bubble with high octane lead. 115/145 octane av gas had lots of alkylate.

Remember Richfield when it first changed to Arco? They tried a heavily graphited motor oil. I tried it for fuel mileage, gained nothing but badly stained hands and clothes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reminiscing Part 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.