RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which pick up to buy for towing big fifth wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Which pick up to buy for towing big fifth wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are within the trucks ratings with a SRW truck, go for it. A 39 ft 5er will have a GVWR over 14,000 lb. Probably more like 16,500 lb or more. Look at the trailer GVWR or if not listed, add the dry weight plus the cargo capacity.

Since you do not have the truck yet, look on the drivers door jamb for the sticker showing the trucks Cargo Carrying Capacity. Now use 20% of the trailers GVWR to get an estimated pin weight. Add the pin weight, plus the weight of a 5er hitch, plus any passengers, plus any cargo in the truck. This total should be less than the trucks cargo capacity. While this is not the most accurate method, it should get you safely close to what the truck can do.

Just ignore the folks telling to add air bags and go, unless they can give you some real numbers to support their claims.

Personally, I'd get a dually for that trailer. You see people every day pulling more than the truck can handle, but that does not make it right.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you have heard is correct, a dually will give you the most payload, stability, and would be my choice.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 1 ton HD SRW, the limiting factor is primarily the tires and rims. With a HD SRW 3500, the suspension, and axles are plenty sufficient for your potential load. I haven’t researched in recent years, but the older 3500 Rams had the same rear axle load rating, whether SRW or DRW. The dual tires are what increased the truck load capacity. With the dually you will gain some stability and “slightly” more rear brake surface area.!

If your 5th wheel is properly balanced, and your tires/rims are sufficient for the load, you should be fine. Assuming the rims/tires are adequate, it comes down to your preference. If the truck will be primarily for paved road use, and not an everyday driver, and minimal snow/ice....the DRW would be great. If you will be doing substantial snow/ice travel, or off road use, and/or a daily driver.....it’s hard to beat a SRW.

We tow substantially more than 16K with a SRW, with some wheel/tire upgrades. But, we don’t full time, the truck is used in snow/ice, and off road.....for our needs, the SRW is much more practical! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

What you have heard is correct, a dually will give you the most payload, stability, and would be my choice.

YEP. X2

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocamprs wrote:

Since you have the trailer, load it up and weigh it.

Should he pull it by hand to the scales or what would you suggest?

And nice double post OP.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what you really want to do. You can tow 14,000 with a SRW. We went with a SRW short bed Crew Cab as we only spend around 40ish nights at the moment. My point is this is an everyday truck when not towing. A long bed dually is like driving a bus. Yes that's probably the best tow truck but you cant wheel around town in it to well. Has a large turn radius and you need to park away from people. So when you towed and at a cg and want to go exploring, into town etc, when unhitched you'll have to deal with parking/driving issues on tight streets. This was our decision. Our F250 CC Short Bed Gasser is perfectly matched with our 37' Heritage Glen Fifth wheel. If I change the rear end I can pull 15,000 and do not see the need to spend an extra $10-$15k for a diesel. We do just fine with our setup and 4x4 on the beach with the fiver. Actually that's where we spend the most time. In the sand. So think about your use and after towing use. That will answer your question.

Happy Trails

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2011 diesel GMC dually crew cab, long box, 4x4. I haul a 35 ft 5th wheel. I towed this same trailer with a 3/4 ton diesel GMC, crew cab, 4x4 short box but never felt comfortable with that set up because I was over the GVWR. With the dually, when we boondock, I fill the fresh water tank up(60 gallons), I have an auxiliary diesel fuel tank that carries 50 gallons of fuel along with the 36 gallon tank in the truck. I also have 2 collapsible water totes, 1 is 50 gals and the other is 60gals. I usually fill one up in the bed of the truck when we are boondocking. We drive in the Rockies and boondock when we go out that way and the truck does great especially when we carry the extra water weight. I also have 2 Honda gennys plus 10 gallons of fuel that go in the back also. A 35 gal black water tote also fits in the bed, but will go in a hauler at the rear of the 5er now. The 3/4 will "pull" any trailer til the cows come home but what you want is the load capacity(GVWR)to safely haul your 5er. My truck is stable when I tow and it has the load capacity to haul everything we pack into the 5er plus what goes into the truck cabin and bed. So if you don't get the idea by now, I highly recommend the dually and in my opinion a diesel. I like GM diesels.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crabbypatty wrote:

Depends on what you really want to do. So think about your use and after towing use. That will answer your question.

Happy Trails

For optimum towing performance with a heavy large trailer the DRW always wins. It will be more stable and provide better braking.
If you have others concerns other than towing Such as:
Beach Camping, parking in a public garage, fitting into a garage, drive thrus, driving around town etc.
you will have to factor those concerns in for yourself.
In the end this is a towing platform and the advice given is based on actual towing. Towing is the common bond all other factors very amongst the group

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Memtb and I are two that look at the problem the other way around. Ask instead: "Do I need a SRW?" Mud, snow, narrow 2 tracks, or gathering deer apples in the orchards point to a SRW. You can't beat a DRW for towing.

So I use a F250 diesel SB,but my pin is 1600# and the truck is 9650# on a trip. If you feel the need for a SRW, load the 5er for a trip and get fellow camper to weigh it. Payment should be a nice dinner out on the town. Then you will know, not guess.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oops, forgot your other question. Ford, Chevy, or Ram? Buy the one with the best seat. It is all good, we are living in the Golden Age for tow vehicles.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Which pick up to buy for towing big fifth wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.