RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which pick up to buy for towing big fifth wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Which pick up to buy for towing big fifth wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
loverving45

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,
I have a 39’ fifth wheel 4 slides, , 14000 pound, and am about to buy a pick up to tow it. Everyone tells me to buy regular pickup , not a dually. They say the regular single rear wheel is enough for towing this fifth wheel and no need for dually. I’ve heard that dually is a must have for such big trailers due to the steadiness it provides. My question is for those of you who own similar size of rig, do you suggest me buying a dually or a single rear wheel? Also, which if the companies is the best for this purpose, ram, gmc or Ford? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are not giving enough information. What fifth wheel, is 14K dry wt, gross wt, or GVWR? Any of the new SRWs will handle a fully loaded 14K FW.

Jerry

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't double-post (same post in two sub-forums).

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loverving45 wrote:

Hello,
I have a 39’ fifth wheel 4 slides, , 14000 pound, and am about to buy a pick up to tow it. Everyone tells me to buy regular pickup , not a dually. They say the regular single rear wheel is enough for towing this fifth wheel and no need for dually. I’ve heard that dually is a must have for such big trailers due to the steadiness it provides. My question is for those of you who own similar size of rig, do you suggest me buying a dually or a single rear wheel? Also, which if the companies is the best for this purpose, ram, gmc or Ford? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you

Minimum, dually wheels, 3500 Diesel or larger, exhaust brake. Which brand of truck is like asking should you marry a blond or red head lady[emoticon] I like Dodges, my 3rd. one[emoticon]

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just not enough difference between the three manufacturers of one tons to make one the best.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny how when if someone asks this question about a 1/2 ton towing something around #6000 or so all you full float guys say you need to get a 1 ton truck "since you can't have too much truck..."

But, when you have the chance to get "too much truck" for what sounds like a pretty big rig, it's totally fine to not get "too much truck...", ha, ha...

I've towed all sorts of rigs over the decades and a dually was always in there as well as the others..

So, in the end, get what you feel comfortable with for what you are towing and if it's not enough, or too much, adjust accordingly.. [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simply put.....look at the payload capacity of said truck. A one ton, at least, is a No brainer.
My buddy who just retired put the cart before the horse and bought a 3/4 ton pickup....plenty of towing ability but when he wanted to get a decent size fifth wheel, the payload of a 3/4 ton just would not work!

Yes, I know everyone does it with a 3/4 ton, but it's not the right way to do it. That buddy ended up with a long trailer....

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towing a heavy truck is all about tires, most the tires are not made to heavy loads. thus,, add more tires.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well there is a lot to be said about towing with a DRW, personally with our 32’ 5er running close to 13,000# and. 2,800# pin with the 1,400# of hitch, in bed tool box and DW and I we would have been within a couple hundred pounds of GVWR.
So much of it has to do with pin weight and what you carry in your truck.
To the many that I tow 16,000# with a SB SRW don’t know what they don’t know. They are likely well over weight, and as I have stated before The best feature of a 5er is it’s worst, that is their natural stability.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you have the trailer, load it up and weigh it. Then compare the pin weight to the cargo capacity of the truck. Be sure to add all cargo and people that will be in the truck with the weight of the pin.
We could run a 350/3500 SRW truck with what we load out, but it would be close. No way we could load to the full 14.4 trailer GVW. The DRW truck makes that or a larger trailer no problem.
Ram, Ford, or GM take your pick.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Which pick up to buy for towing big fifth wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.