RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which TT has the Best Kitchen and Why?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Which TT has the Best Kitchen and Why?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

propchef wrote:

kellem wrote:

Best thing to do is cook up a more formidable tow vehicle as you'll need one to accommodate the type of kitchen 2 chefs would be happy with.

Another myth. :-) I'm most happy in front of my Weber grill.

I'm a minimalist and can always make due. Chef Luz has a collection of gadgets that would make Willams AND Sonoma jealous.

The X5 is paid for and is staying. A larger truck is down the road but not yet.

Kitchens in YOUR (collectively) trailers? Love 'em or hate 'em? Let's hear.

Ok I'll stick with Rachel Ray, she has big counter. Lol

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind when shopping that listed dry tongue weights of TTs will always be far lower than the actual weight you'd experience when ready for camping. A 600 lb hitch weight limit suggests to me that you're looking for a dry hitch of less than 400 lbs. Seriously, I had a 23' Rockwood with a dry hitch weight listed at 380 lbs and I bent a rear leaf spring on my Mountaineer (6000/600 rating). It didn't help that the 30 gallon water tank was up front, under the bed, and I nearly filled it. But you have to remember the battery and LP tanks are up there, too. (I even had a WD hitch, btw.)

I don't know if there are any TTs that will have the kitchen features you're looking for. When I see someone who has special requirements like you do, my first suggestion is to look at creating your own travel trailer by starting with a good cargo trailer and building it out (or having it built for you). I'm actually pondering this course of action myself, because I have specific desires that RV mfrs don't meet. The only factory-built TT I'm pondering at all is the Escape, made in British Columbia, although it misses on several of my desires. They are incredibly backlogged (long waiting list) but they will do a bit of customization on some things.

The second possibility I'd suggest is to seek out a small RV mfr that will build to suit. For example, here in OK we have the maker of Idle Time trailers, https://www.allencampermfg.com/up-to-29'-travel-trailers and maybe a company like them would build in a top-quality cooktop of your choice, a larger sink, etc. Allen does have some trailers in your size range to begin with.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rear Kitchen
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

propchef wrote:

Merrykalia wrote:

I have owned and cooked in 6 different campers...popup, hybrid, travel trailer, 2 different fifth wheels and now a motorhome.

I could cook up a good meal in all of them...some, just a bit easier. The popup had a tiny fridge and 2 burners. That limited what we could do inside, so I mostly cooked outside under a canopy. The hybrid was a bit more challenging because the stove was directly across from the bathroom door. Again, most of it was done outside.

A trailer is small...no matter how big it is, compared to a residential kitchen, it's small. The use of a burner also heats up the camper quickly, even in cold weather. It also produces lots and lots of steam, which produces condensation, which can produce lots of problems down the road.

Each Thanksgiving, I fix a full holiday meal in our camper, or outside of our camper. Over the years, we have purchased some really good equipment that we carry with us...a grill, a flat-top griddle, a butane burner and a CampChef oven. These are my mobile kitchen essentials and I can use them anywhere.

My suggestion is to look at a camper that has good storage and don't buy something because it says "airstream", but look for good quality vs investment cost. Plan to set up an outside kitchen that can be used in any weather.

Good luck.

The condensation was a worry. Ventilation. I assume no outside ventilation for the cooking area? Is that standard across the industry?

The Airstream was an example because we have other considerations other than the kitchen, of course. I like the bath separated from the sleeping area, and the Bambi bath stretches across the back. It's a good size. There are other trailers I like as well, with the Lance mentioned earlier and one or two of the Outdoors RV TTs.

Most RVs have vent fans over the cooktop. They are annoyingly loud, and I prefer to just open a window. You can also have a roof vent fan going in exhaust mode that will move a significant amount of air through and clear out condensation.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the stoves have an underwelming vent fan to the outside, make sure you open it on the outside first, they have locks or plugs on them to keep them **** during travel. I dont use indution cooktops. Most campers have top vents also. Get stainless pots, not aluminum sorry about that. I like the old fashioned aluminum also. Lol. You could sui vie? ( yea spelled wrong i know) That is a possibility. Bowles, nest but i find that they also get everywhere. I use bowles that i eat in to mix. I still bet you will use the microwave , trust me. I freeze some nice lasagna, chicken parm, sauce , nuke to reheat. Beats most things you xan make like that camping. Like i said, grill, grill ,grill. You can do some diffrent out of the box stuff. A griddle is another option. I use both. I also find , i can not cook like i do at home. I try, but cant do it. So i keep it simpler. Pie irons, etc.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Rear Kitchen
[image]

What is that?

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Most of the stoves have an underwelming vent fan to the outside, make sure you open it on the outside first, they have locks or plugs on them to keep them **** during travel. I dont use indution cooktops. Most campers have top vents also. Get stainless pots, not aluminum sorry about that. I like the old fashioned aluminum also. Lol. You could sui vie? ( yea spelled wrong i know) That is a possibility. Bowles, nest but i find that they also get everywhere. I use bowles that i eat in to mix. I still bet you will use the microwave , trust me. I freeze some nice lasagna, chicken parm, sauce , nuke to reheat. Beats most things you xan make like that camping. Like i said, grill, grill ,grill. You can do some diffrent out of the box stuff. A griddle is another option. I use both. I also find , i can not cook like i do at home. I try, but cant do it. So i keep it simpler. Pie irons, etc.

Thanks! Yup, we'll certainly be grilling but not too many casserole type dishes. I love my flat top (griddle) and I'll certainly have that. I have a few different sizes.

FYI, stainless don't work with induction either and are TERRIBLE conductors of heat.

I sous vide frequently! It's a great way to do things if you have time. We have a vacuum sealer we'll be using.

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Keep in mind when shopping that listed dry tongue weights of TTs will always be far lower than the actual weight you'd experience when ready for camping. A 600 lb hitch weight limit suggests to me that you're looking for a dry hitch of less than 400 lbs. Seriously, I had a 23' Rockwood with a dry hitch weight listed at 380 lbs and I bent a rear leaf spring on my Mountaineer (6000/600 rating). It didn't help that the 30 gallon water tank was up front, under the bed, and I nearly filled it. But you have to remember the battery and LP tanks are up there, too. (I even had a WD hitch, btw.)

I don't know if there are any TTs that will have the kitchen features you're looking for. When I see someone who has special requirements like you do, my first suggestion is to look at creating your own travel trailer by starting with a good cargo trailer and building it out (or having it built for you). I'm actually pondering this course of action myself, because I have specific desires that RV mfrs don't meet. The only factory-built TT I'm pondering at all is the Escape, made in British Columbia, although it misses on several of my desires. They are incredibly backlogged (long waiting list) but they will do a bit of customization on some things.

The second possibility I'd suggest is to seek out a small RV mfr that will build to suit. For example, here in OK we have the maker of Idle Time trailers, https://www.allencampermfg.com/up-to-29'-travel-trailers and maybe a company like them would build in a top-quality cooktop of your choice, a larger sink, etc. Allen does have some trailers in your size range to begin with.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Not sure what "special requirements" I'm looking for other than a sink that is big enough for a 10 inch pan. Most every trailer I've seen has enough storage, but most have very small refrigerators but these can always be supplemented. I have a few commercial coolers from our catering days that are more than adequate. The other thing is burner BTU, where I'm really looking for feedback on how well they can heat a pan.

I like simple, but I still want functional.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditch the cast iron.

Yes, yes, yes I get it. Cast iron with the heat deal and the non reactive deal and a bunch of other stuff deals.

When you travel you fight weight and cast iron is the Mike Tyson of weight.

You need to watch the film "The Very Long Trailer" to get what I'm talking about.

Get some good non stick aluminum and call it a day and go camping. Non stick also helps a BUNCH with cleanup. Just a paper towel and a few drops of water and it clean and back in the cupboard.

Also microwaves make great storage if you don't use them. They even lock so nothing spills out while traveling.

Anyway good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

(BTW my answers would be different about the cast iron if you had a 3500 pickup but you don't. You have an X5)

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a F250 and travel with 2 cast iron skillets a extra deep 12” cast iron Dutch oven and a smaller ( not 9x13 ) cast iron casserole type pan. Yeah I don’t want to carry it all at once but it’s not going to overload the truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Which TT has the Best Kitchen and Why?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.