RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Electric Hummer updates on prices, availability, etc.

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Electric Hummer updates on prices, availability, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/20/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

ORbiker wrote:

Where are you going to get ALL the electric for 300,000 electric vehicles? That's a lot of Amp Hours. KEN


It takes 27 kwh to go 100 miles in a Bev. On a 30 amp service that is 7.5 hours of consumption. On a 50 amp RV service it is 2.25 hours.

How often do you drive 100 miles in a day in your car?


I think the impact on the power grid caused by electric passenger vehicles will be phased in pretty gradually since most people drive 50 miles or less a day. Large commercial vehicles that draw 1 kwh or more per mile driven and travel 200+ miles per day might be a challenge to charge daily, especially if an outfit has 100+ vehicles to be charged.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

ORbiker wrote:

Where are you going to get ALL the electric for 300,000 electric vehicles? That's a lot of Amp Hours. KEN


It takes 27 kwh to go 100 miles in a Bev. On a 30 amp service that is 7.5 hours of consumption. On a 50 amp RV service it is 2.25 hours.

How often do you drive 100 miles in a day in your car?


I think the impact on the power grid caused by electric passenger vehicles will be phased in pretty gradually since most people drive 50 miles or less a day. Large commercial vehicles that draw 1 kwh or more per mile driven and travel 200+ miles per day might be a challenge to charge daily, especially if an outfit has 100+ vehicles to be charged.


Agreed. There will be closer coordination between the utilities and truck depots to make it all work. This must be already happening at Superchargers with 52 V3 Superchargers. I think some of them have on site storage to lighten the grid load at peak times. Some of the Superchargers along the I5 are huge.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

ORbiker wrote:

Where are you going to get ALL the electric for 300,000 electric vehicles? That's a lot of Amp Hours. KEN


It takes 27 kwh to go 100 miles in a Bev. On a 30 amp service that is 7.5 hours of consumption. On a 50 amp RV service it is 2.25 hours.

How often do you drive 100 miles in a day in your car?
Since this thread is about pickup trucks in an RV forum you need to consider the fact that a pickup will take much more energy to travel those 100 miles (they are heavier and less aerodynamic than current electric cars). If they are being used to pull a travel trailer or fifth wheel that will greatly increase the energy consumption per mile and the distance traveled will likely be greater than 100 miles.
Now you will need much more than 2.25 hours on a fifty amp RV service to charge that EV. That brings into play the fact that RV service wiring is not designed for maximum draw at each pedestal. National electrical codes allow for 7 50 amp service pedestals on a 200 amp service. That is slightly under a 60% load factor. The EV charging times you calculate use a continuous 100% load factor. Even 1 EV pickup truck charging for say 5 hours would likely overload that 200 amp service when all the other RVs on that loop are running air conditioners, microwaves, hot water heaters etc (i.e. using their allotted 60% load). And this doesn't even take into account the fact the RV attached to that EV truck will be using services as well, effectively putting 8 users on that 7 pedestal loop. There is going to be a lot of infrastructure changes needed on the local level to accommodate large Electric vehicles.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.

* This post was edited 12/24/20 10:46am by pianotuna *


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

N-Trouble

NorCal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/02/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I believe Hummer is completely sold out for initial year of production.
Maybe we will see some of these on the road by 2022.
Ramping production should be easy for GM. Love to see how fast GM can go from 10,000 / yr to 300,000 per year


“Sold out” of $100 refundable deposits. GM loves to tout they are sold out but how many of those deposits turn into actual sales??


2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

The Tesla semi consumes less than 2 kwh per mile when loaded. I can't imagine that the pick up type trucks would do worse than that, when hauling.

The NEC only requires 41% of total capacity to be provided to each pedestal, not 60%, unless the numbers have changed. They should change that imo, and that would not be easy to retro fit. It is even worse on the 30 amp side of life.

On the other hand is the scenario where the EV would be used as a power source for the campground. In point of fact, I'm not back feeding--but I do use load support all the time, "dialing down" my consumption to 24 amps, and that eases the burden on the campground.

If I were a future campground owner, I'd definitely be looking at watt meters on every site. Stick in your credit card to connect.

The building I am in was built in 1963. It had 43 apartments, each with only a 40 amp service. The main fuse for the building is only 1000 amps. It is, by today's standards extremely under powered. I was able to more up to a 70 service--but to do so I had to pay for 11 disconnects and reconnects. The building manager told me that no one else will be allowed to upgrade unless the main feed to the building is increased.

The funny part, is that because of the upgrades I did, I used the least amount of power of anyone in the building.

1000 / 43 =~ 23 amps per apartment. A ridiculously low number.

The positive part is there is a powered outlet for me to park in, and it can be switched on and off from inside my condo. 15 amp charging for a vehicle, at this stage in my life, is all I really need. There are also 3 charge points at a local hotel within my field of vision from my home. At the moment, they are free. The city has 87 charge points available, and most of them are also free.

Seasons Greetings to you all!


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

ORbiker wrote:

Where are you going to get ALL the electric for 300,000 electric vehicles? That's a lot of Amp Hours. KEN


It takes 27 kwh to go 100 miles in a Bev. On a 30 amp service that is 7.5 hours of consumption. On a 50 amp RV service it is 2.25 hours.

How often do you drive 100 miles in a day in your car?
Since this thread is about pickup trucks in an RV forum you need to consider the fact that a pickup will take much more energy to travel those 100 miles (they are heavier and less aerodynamic than current electric cars). If they are being used to pull a travel trailer or fifth wheel that will greatly increase the energy consumption per mile and the distance traveled will likely be greater than 100 miles.
Now you will need much more than 2.25 hours on a fifty amp RV service to charge that EV. That brings into play the fact that RV service wiring is not designed for maximum draw at each pedestal. National electrical codes allow for 7 50 amp service pedestals on a 200 amp service. That is slightly under a 60% load factor. The EV charging times you calculate use a continuous 100% load factor. Even 1 EV pickup truck charging for say 5 hours would likely overload that 200 amp service when all the other RVs on that loop are running air conditioners, microwaves, hot water heaters etc (i.e. using their allotted 60% load). And this doesn't even take into account the fact the RV attached to that EV truck will be using services as well, effectively putting 8 users on that 7 pedestal loop. There is going to be a lot of infrastructure changes needed on the local level to accommodate large Electric vehicles.


Well, certainly there will be infrastructure improvements. That's a given. And not just at campgrounds but at hotels as well. This is already underway. We won't stay at a hotel without an available destination charger. Hotel operators are well aware of this and are reacting accordingly. Campgrounds will do the same. Maybe add the infrastructure to support a second 50 amp service to 10 percent of the sites. 5 years later do it again.

But the reality is that the majority of EV's can adjust how much their charge current is. Those who are staying longer can simply charge at a lower rate as they don't need the speed. Power sharing is already common at many destination charger and DC fast charger sites. That's why at V2 150 KW Superchargers we use urinal rules. If someone is charging at a site don't park right beside him/her. Choose another site as the sites are paired and power shared. The first person connected gets the most power, the later arrival gets less. V3 250 KW Superchargers are not like this and are not affected much by the paired site being occupied. But there are still lots of first generation V2 Superchargers out there.

Cheers.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

The Tesla semi consumes less than 2 kwh per mile when loaded. I can't imagine that the pick up type trucks would do worse than that, when hauling.

The NEC only requires 41% of total capacity to be provided to each pedestal, not 60%, unless the numbers have changed. They should change that imo, and that would not be easy to retro fit. It is even worse on the 30 amp side of life.

On the other hand is the scenario where the EV would be used as a power source for the campground. In point of fact, I'm not back feeding--but I do use load support all the time, "dialing down" my consumption to 24 amps, and that eases the burden on the campground.

If I were a future campground owner, I'd definitely be looking at watt meters on every site. Stick in your credit card to connect.

The building I am in was built in 1963. It had 43 apartments, each with only a 40 amp service. The main fuse for the building is only 1000 amps. It is, by today's standards extremely under powered. I was able to more up to a 70 service--but to do so I had to pay for 11 disconnects and reconnects. The building manager told me that no one else will be allowed to upgrade unless the main feed to the building is increased.

The funny part, is that because of the upgrades I did, I used the least amount of power of anyone in the building.

1000 / 43 =~ 23 amps per apartment. A ridiculously low number.

The positive part is there is a powered outlet for me to park in, and it can be switched on and off from inside my condo. 15 amp charging for a vehicle, at this stage in my life, is all I really need. There are also 3 charge points at a local hotel within my field of vision from my home. At the moment, they are free. The city has 87 charge points available, and most of them are also free.

Seasons Greetings to you all!


That plug will work fine for you Don. We charged our leaf for years off of our christmas light 15 amp 120 volt soffit plug and we had a 48 km return commute for much of that time.

[image]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alas,

It will be some time before a Bev is part of my life. My existing car has only 67000 kilometers on it and I've filled the gas tank just 5 times since March 2020. Unless the car starts to nickle and dime me, I won't be "in the market".

I've also deliberately allowed the plate insurance to drop--forcing myself to walk (one whole block) to and from the grocery store, for 70 days so far since March. It saved me $4 per day, and was great exercise!

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Alas,

It will be some time before a Bev is part of my life. My existing car has only 67000 kilometers on it and I've filled the gas tank just 5 times since March 2020. Unless the car starts to nickle and dime me, I won't be "in the market".

I've also deliberately allowed the plate insurance to drop--forcing myself to walk (one whole block) to and from the grocery store, for 70 days so far since March. It saved me $4 per day, and was great exercise!


Yah I hear ya. Buy the time you get one there will be a ton more choices. Good on ya for the exercise. Keeps you young.

Cheers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Electric Hummer updates on prices, availability, etc.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.