RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ford posts videos of winter testing of their Electric F150.

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford posts videos of winter testing of their Electric F150.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I'm not against developing Electric cars and trucks but I don't think the industry is quite where it needs to be to be fully committed by 2035. Electric Cars and pickup trucks are one thing. Even that is a huge undertaking to get it accomplished without infrastructure problems in such a short period of time. But Electric Tractor Trailers for cross Country hauling, Electric Jets for Trans-Atlantic flights and electric Rockets for Space exploration is still decades away. How would the Amish people survive? They aren't going to change their religious beliefs easily. They use battery powered equipment but use generators with gas/diesel engines to replenish those batteries. The Amish are one of the fastest growing populations in America so eventually it will happen but not in the next 15 years.


Many predict the transition will take about 3 decades so that sounds about right. Are Amish opposed to solar or wind generation?

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

With Fords all-in commitment to be 100% electric by 2035, it makes me wonder how soon they and other manufacturers will start phasing out Gas and Diesel options. It won't be all electric overnight so I imagine for people that prefer to stay with Gas or Diesel, it will become increasingly difficult to find the vehicle you want the closer to 2035 it is.


By 2035 I don’t suspect anyone would want a gas vehicle over an electric. There will just be too many performance and convenience advantages to electric. The technology is changing fast and many of the big manufacturers are planing to fully convert to EV’s.

Diesel will hang in for a little longer.

All JMHO.

riah

ny

Full Member

Joined: 09/21/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well maybe if every new construction project included a requirement for installing solar, we’d be generating much more solar power; also if there was a real push for installing solar on residential rooftops with net metering that allows homeowners similar financial benefits as larger scale power companies, we could be generating significantly more power from solar. Solar has never been supported as greatly as other fossil fuels, with all their corporate breaks - and then they turn around and charge and additional fees to the customers.

pigman1 wrote:


...The key word here is COMMUTE. When you start talking about 600-700 miles a day pulling or carrying a max load you're in a whole new arena. Add that to the fact that California can't even keep the lights on TODAY..


riah

ny

Full Member

Joined: 09/21/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why wouldn’t they? What’s the difference between gas/diesel power vs solar as the “fuel/power” source?
(Plus, the Amish using those generators have already made a change in philosophy then in regard to using mechanical motors, as have the Mennonites.)

RobWNY wrote:

. How would the Amish people survive? They aren't going to change their religious beliefs easily. They use battery powered equipment but use generators with gas/diesel engines to replenish those batteries. The Amish are one of the fastest growing populations in America so eventually it will happen but not in the next 15 years.


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riah wrote:

Why wouldn’t they? What’s the difference between gas/diesel power vs solar as the “fuel/power” source?
(Plus, the Amish using those generators have already made a change in philosophy then in regard to using mechanical motors, as have the Mennonites.)

RobWNY wrote:

. How would the Amish people survive? They aren't going to change their religious beliefs easily. They use battery powered equipment but use generators with gas/diesel engines to replenish those batteries. The Amish are one of the fastest growing populations in America so eventually it will happen but not in the next 15 years.


I don’t know much about the US population dynamics but a quick google shows about 300,000 Amish live in the US. Can they really influence technology adaptation that much? No idea. First I heard of this. Do they have some kind of mass influence on other US populations?

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel engines may remain relevant for longer than people imagine. We will be developing several kinds of biofuels including fuel from algae and many others. Eventually they will be much cheaper than pulling fossil fuels out of the ground.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/23/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Diesel engines may remain relevant for longer than people imagine. We will be developing several kinds of biofuels including fuel from algae and many others. Eventually they will be much cheaper than pulling fossil fuels out of the ground.


The flaw in the idea diesel will stay but gasoline will go is when you refine a barrel of crude oil, part comes out diesel and part comes out gasoline (among other things). There is some ability to vary what comes out of the refineries but not 100% one or the other...so there will still be gasoline coming out.

If the number of gas engine vehicles drop in number, gasoline will drop in price and the market will respond by switching from diesel to gasoline.

Realistically even by 2035, 100% isn't going to happen. It might be 50-80% but as we capture the easy conversions (ie: commuter only cars), it will become more and more difficult to cover the rest.

PS: when we talk about electricity production there is good and bad with EVs. Actual production will need to increase but production facilities (power plants) may not need to expand as much. Much can be done by charging when demand is low increasing the utilization of the power plants. For most practical purposes solar/wind are just a different type of power plant...though currently causing a lot of issues to the grid. Widespread EVs can mitigate that to a large degree because they can absorb excess demand when it's a sunny/windy day. In the long run, if those vehicles can feed back power into the grid, it could even drop the baseline power plant capability needed.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

ppine wrote:

Diesel engines may remain relevant for longer than people imagine. We will be developing several kinds of biofuels including fuel from algae and many others. Eventually they will be much cheaper than pulling fossil fuels out of the ground.


The flaw in the idea diesel will stay but gasoline will go is when you refine a barrel of crude oil, part comes out diesel and part comes out gasoline (among other things). There is some ability to vary what comes out of the refineries but not 100% one or the other...so there will still be gasoline coming out.

If the number of gas engine vehicles drop in number, gasoline will drop in price and the market will respond by switching from diesel to gasoline.

Realistically even by 2035, 100% isn't going to happen. It might be 50-80% but as we capture the easy conversions (ie: commuter only cars), it will become more and more difficult to cover the rest.

PS: when we talk about electricity production there is good and bad with EVs. Actual production will need to increase but production facilities (power plants) may not need to expand as much. Much can be done by charging when demand is low increasing the utilization of the power plants. For most practical purposes solar/wind are just a different type of power plant...though currently causing a lot of issues to the grid. Widespread EVs can mitigate that to a large degree because they can absorb excess demand when it's a sunny/windy day. In the long run, if those vehicles can feed back power into the grid, it could even drop the baseline power plant capability needed.


Informative observation. Especially on that gas/diesel thing.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/25/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

ppine wrote:

Diesel engines may remain relevant for longer than people imagine. We will be developing several kinds of biofuels including fuel from algae and many others. Eventually they will be much cheaper than pulling fossil fuels out of the ground.


The flaw in the idea diesel will stay but gasoline will go is when you refine a barrel of crude oil, part comes out diesel and part comes out gasoline (among other things). There is some ability to vary what comes out of the refineries but not 100% one or the other...so there will still be gasoline coming out.

If the number of gas engine vehicles drop in number, gasoline will drop in price and the market will respond by switching from diesel to gasoline.

Realistically even by 2035, 100% isn't going to happen. It might be 50-80% but as we capture the easy conversions (ie: commuter only cars), it will become more and more difficult to cover the rest.

PS: when we talk about electricity production there is good and bad with EVs. Actual production will need to increase but production facilities (power plants) may not need to expand as much. Much can be done by charging when demand is low increasing the utilization of the power plants. For most practical purposes solar/wind are just a different type of power plant...though currently causing a lot of issues to the grid. Widespread EVs can mitigate that to a large degree because they can absorb excess demand when it's a sunny/windy day. In the long run, if those vehicles can feed back power into the grid, it could even drop the baseline power plant capability needed.


Informative observation. Especially on that gas/diesel thing.


Another thing is asphalt concrete...guess where the asphalt binder comes from ....crude oil. It's more complicated but it's basically the thick leftovers after refining the lighter more profitable items out of a barrel of crude. Probably 70-80% of road miles are asphalt concrete (plus most parking lots). If the demand for diesel & gasoline drop like a rock, how will these EVs have roads to drive on?

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2007

View Profile


Online
Posted: 12/26/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

With Fords all-in commitment to be 100% electric by 2035...
I think you need to reread Ford's EV commitment; you have embellished it significantly.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford posts videos of winter testing of their Electric F150.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.