RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been a long time, but we carried an '70 Franklin 11' TC on our 69 Dodge reg cab power wagon. The truck was wrecked and we replaced the frame/body with a 76 Dodge Club cab truck. All the suspension, axles, and driveline were moved from the 69 to the 76. So the only difference was the wheelbase and a couple hundred pounds of the truck. The first time we carried the TC on a trip, my father was surprised at how much better the longer wheel base carried the camper. There was a lot less porposing when going down the road and over railroad tracks. The '69 wasn't bad in the least bit, but the extra 18" in wheel base was a very noticeable difference.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Works great for me.
Regular cabs with 8' beds are soo much more maneuverable in parking lots and making u-turns.

If I bought a new truck today it would be just what I have.
And I have zero interest in a dually.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know Spectra that you drive mostly in the parks, but making a line on the picture, from where driver head is and under the front cabover- it makes about 30 degrees.
Meaning when you are at street light hanging 15' high, you need to back up about 50' to see it. That is safety concern.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Yes, a shorter wheelbase truck will carry a TC as well as a longer wheelbase truck. It will have the affect of moving weight closer to the front wheels. How much weight that actually makes it to the front wheels depends on the TC.

Anybody that has spent any time in the trucking industry will tell you that a longer wheelbase will let you have a higher GVW, without overloading the rear axles.

Kayteg1 wrote:

I know Spectra that you drive mostly in the parks, but making a line on the picture, from where driver head is and under the front cabover- it makes about 30 degrees.
Meaning when you are at street light hanging 15' high, you need to back up about 50' to see it. That is safety concern.

Back in the '50s you could buy a plastic prism to mount on the dash if you had a low sun-visor. Had one on the dash of my '67 Pete. If you got so it was past the visor edge light line you could tell the color.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Back in the '50s you could buy a plastic prism to mount on the dash if you had a low sun-visor. Had one on the dash of my '67 Pete. If you got so it was past the visor edge light line you could tell the color.

Those were the years when we did not use seat belts neither?

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Its not a safety concern at all. I drive all over and actually seldom in parks.

I don't know why everyone always thinks I can't see a street light unless I stop way back, its just not so.

Been down this path here before and its a non issue.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Anybody that has spent any time in the trucking industry will tell you that a longer wheelbase will let you have a higher GVW, without overloading the rear axles.

We aren’t talking about big rigs. We are also not talking about GVW or a rig with a trailer.

* This post was edited 12/25/20 09:53am by jimh425 *

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Its not a safety concern at all. I drive all over and actually seldom in parks.

I don't know why everyone always thinks I can't see a street light unless I stop way back, its just not so.

Been down this path here before and its a non issue.

Everyone doesn’t, it’s just Kaytegs Christmas cheer! That we are blessed with year ‘round!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Those were the years when we did not use seat belts neither?

Don't think the seat belts have much to do with seeing the traffic light. Of course, decades, and millions off miles, low visor never was issue. Little cars hiding under that long nose...

jimh425 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

We aren’t talking about big rigs. We are also not talking about GVW or a rig with a trailer.

I'm not well educated, can you explain how the geometry is different big truck/little truck? And Gross Vehicle Weight ratio to front axle weight was part of your statement, and trailer was not part of mine.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I'm not well educated, can you explain how the geometry is different big truck/little truck? And Gross Vehicle Weight ratio to front axle weight was part of your statement, and trailer was not part of mine.

Big trucks normally have at least 3 axles.

GVW is the Gross Vehicle Weight. In other words, the weight of the truck. If you mean to say longer trucks are heavier, I agree with that. Is that what you meant?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.