|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Remember when tv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 03:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember when television would go off the air of a night. The would play the star spangled banner then go dead air. Also remember getting up early in the morning as a kid to see the test pattern with the Indian chief head.

We didn't get color television until 1968. A 25 inch Sylvania console. When was your first color TV set? Neighbors had a new RCA color TV in 1964.

Also remember motels with a sign that stated they had color TV and air conditioning.

Loved seeing all the neon lights pulling into a town of a night, motels especially were lit up.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first color TV was 1970.

I had an eccentric uncle who had 4 TVs in his living room stacked 2 x 2. One Zenith even had a remote! One was color and we used to love to go to his house especially on New Year's day where we could watch multiple football games at the same time.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (15 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 5 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never mind that. I remember when they first came out with Black and white TV's. One of my friends was the first family on the street to get one.
It had a small round "snowy" screen
Needless to say he was the most popular kid on the street !

Guy

* This post was edited 12/25/20 09:00am by Guy Roan *

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember our first color tv in the late 60's. Was a big console with the record player in the top on one side. Think the tv was like 25".

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Remember when television would go off the air of a night. The would play the star spangled banner then go dead air. Also remember getting up early in the morning as a kid to see the test pattern with the Indian chief head.

Well, being raised in Los Angeles during the 1970's, only a handful of VHF stations were not 24 hour broadcast as they were considered "independent" -

Channels KTLA 5 (still my favorite which I watch streamline news broadcasts) KHJ 9 (now KCAL), KTTV 11, and KCOP 13....

I remember when those stations were going off the air at night, they would also display the "TELEVISION CODE" tv screen shaped icon (surprised that was not mentioned)....

The UHF channels 22 KWHY (English and Japanese), 28 KCET (PBS)-had to edit this one as I initially forgot to post it, 34 KMEX (Spanish - the only UHF channel which was 24 hours), 40 (stumped on the call sign but could never get any adequate reception), and KBSC Channel 52 was one of my all time favorites as well loaded with - cartoons - old game shows - and old variety shows, pretty much it was TV Land before there ever was a TV Land.

The "network" Channels - 2 KNXT (now KCBS), 4 KNBC and 7 KABC were mainly 24 hours on the air with one intermittent day of the week sign off at 400am to 500am timeframe for like 30 minutes to a couple hours and displayed their test pattern.

When I lived in one area of Hollywood (off Sunset and Wilton), I was within a one mile radius from the KWHY, KTTV, KBSC, and KTLA studios !!!

As far as "getting up early in the morning", that was never me - I would be awake from staying up all night to see the test patterns and opening on the air broadcasts as I was never a morning person, and STILL not one, and will never be one as I always had trouble with early hour school and early hour jobs.

Quote:

We didn't get color television until 1968. A 25 inch Sylvania console. When was your first color TV set? Neighbors had a new RCA color TV in 1964.

First color TV set my family household ever had was finally in 1981 and it was a Sears 19 inch "touch tune" without the knobs or remote control as we all pitched in together and scraped up every cent to get "it"....Sale price special offer of $199.99 (regular price $299.99) - plus 6% California sales tax which I had to pay that extra $12 "state extortion" since I was the youngest in the family.

During my tenure in Los Angeles, all of our TV's were black and white of course and either ended up with donated thrashed ones, or pawn shop TV's for $30 or less....in which that was the only way we could afford having two TV's in the household which were very essential in order to fully watch any TV back in the day....

Our household TV's were always stacked up on each other, as one TV would only have working sound and no active screen (audio), while the other TV would only have working active screen and no sound (video).

Quote:

Also remember motels with a sign that stated they had color TV and air conditioning.

Loved seeing all the neon lights pulling into a town of a night, motels especially were lit up.

This topic strikes a nerve for me as I will explain :

Upon a 4 day side trip visiting Anaheim in 2009 after a 24 year absence, my friend asked me if I driven thru the Disneyland area before stopping by as I said no, he explained to me that I need to see the area before venturing back to Las Vegas (as I was there primarily visiting for a month)....

I was told I would be sick to my stomach to see how that area is now and I would not recognize the area at all - it was that much of a change....

While Disney acquired more land to expand their park within the surrounding area, at the same time the city passed a new "transformation project" ordinance of required guidelines of landscaping makeovers and business signs to any other establishments that dared to remain in existence to comply or else....

There used to be like 50 plus motels surrounding the Disneyland area with marquee shapes and very creative designed signs that were neon and such from the 1950's and 1960's that had so much character and thrived but the majority of them motels I noticed were now gone, while other business that remained in the surrounding area were even forced to replace their character marquee signs (other than Disneyland's own signs) with the new boring ordinance guidelines that matched today's corporate brand of signage that we all see today in North America.

When I cruised thru the area upon my departure back to Las Vegas, all I seen was corporate hotels, corporate food chains, corporate businesses, and tons of palm trees not previously there before (non Southern California native palm trees at that) which had no character what so ever surrounding the entire area.

Not only I did not recognize the area, I was appalled by the landscape and the changes that now looks like anytown USA 12345.

I too miss the marquee neon signs of motels that used to be there advertising COLOR TV, AIR CONDITIONING, POOL, NO VACANCY.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everybody.

* This post was edited 12/25/20 09:23am by AKsilvereagle *

1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (176K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think our first color tv was 1972. When we moved out of a rental into a house that we built.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1954 RCA 24 inch black and white wood cabinet with legs.
Only thing I cared for was Superman. Dad liked the Detective on the other channel, when it came along. Both shows at 4:00 while we were eating supper.
10:00 the Indian Chief came on and the buzz? Everyone was in bed or going to bed.
up at 6 or earlier. Everyone went to work at 7:00, School started at 8:00, a mile walk. A little shorter for Dad. Saturday mcrnings, Disney Cartoon and Roy Rogers and, etc. Mom shooed us out of the House after breakfast..even locked the door.
Neighbors up and down the street, we played tag but mostly cowboy and Indians and war and baseball..and chase the girls and make them holler. Everyone went into the nearest neighbor for water or Koolaid. All the Adults gathered in one house usually ours and talked of the war and played games and carried on.
(;00 0r 10:00 when they could corral us we were herded inside and to bed.
Didn't care much about tv other than that and we were not addicted to it...and at Grand Ma's no such contraptions and bed was half past dark.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

Never mind that. I remember when they first came out with Black and white TV's. One of my friends was the first family on the street to get one.
Needless to say he was the most popular kid on the street !

Guy
Before I was born but Mom and Dad had one of the first B&W tvs in there apartment. Mom said people would come over and pack the living room to watch any sports being broadcast. She said it was a tiny round picture tube.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

1954 RCA 24 inch black and white wood cabinet with legs.
Only thing I cared for was Superman. Dad liked the Detective on the other channel, when it came along. Both shows at 4:00 while we were eating supper.
10:00 the Indian Chief came on and the buzz? Everyone was in bed or going to bed.
up at 6 or earlier. Everyone went to work at 7:00, School started at 8:00, a mile walk. A little shorter for Dad. Saturday mcrnings, Disney Cartoon and Roy Rogers and, etc. Mom shooed us out of the House after breakfast..even locked the door.
Neighbors up and down the street, we played tag but mostly cowboy and Indians and war and baseball..and chase the girls and make them holler. Everyone went into the nearest neighbor for water or Koolaid. All the Adults gathered in one house usually ours and talked of the war and played games and carried on.
(;00 0r 10:00 when they could corral us we were herded inside and to bed.
Didn't care much about tv other than that and we were not addicted to it...and at Grand Ma's no such contraptions and bed was half past dark.
I got chased out of the house as well and remember eating at whoever's house you happened to be at for lunch. Dad always bought cases of Cragmont soda (Safeway brand) so all the neighborhood kids and I had a endless supply of different flavors. Had to be home for supper then would go back outside. Would have to go back home when the street lights came on.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AKSilvereagle- Another thing I miss is the Mom and Pop restaurants with home cooked food instead of chain restaurant's of today. Some small Kansas towns still have home cooking but it's rare.

In Kansas we had the three networks as a kid then got PBS later on. Remember all the antennas on long poles at every house to get reception. Also remember going out and turning the pole to get the best reception while Dad would call out through the window. We were a fringe area for reception.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Remember when tv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.