RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: GFIC tripping

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > GFIC tripping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/27/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

simply plug into a non-gfi circuit. You are not plugged into a gfi circuit when on shore power in a campground.


Evidently you have not camped in Trail of Tears State Park, MO. ALL receptacles, 15, 30, and 50 amp are GFCIs. I've stayed in one other Missouri state park that also had GFCIs on all the receptacles - maybe it is all of the state parks...

It is worth taking the time to find what is causing the trip & fixing it. Bobbo's description of finding the fault is a good one, although I'd start with checking the adapters first.


Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog


ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/27/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GFIs are very sensitive. They trip all the time.
Many MHs and TTs have a 30 amp system but are plugged into a barn or garage with a 20 amp circuit.

Sometimes your rig with a GFI is plugged into a garage circuit with GFI. They fight each other and trip.

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

Senior Member

Joined: 04/29/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/27/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

simply plug into a non-gfi circuit. You are not plugged into a gfi circuit when on shore power in a campground.


It would be very unsafe to eliminate this GFCI as it’s on the outside of the barn and is used for other power tools. Don’t think I like the possibility of being electrocuted.


RVing since 1995.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 12/27/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to fix the problem. The idea to use a non-GFCI receptacle to mask the problem would be a mistake.


Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker


Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/27/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the outside outlet wet? Seems every time mine trips the outside outlets covers been open & gotten wet. They will trip when over loaded (wifes hair dryer) and they get weak after being tripped a couple times.


2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold


ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/28/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

GFIs are very sensitive. They trip all the time.
Many MHs and TTs have a 30 amp system but are plugged into a barn or garage with a 20 amp circuit.

Sometimes your rig with a GFI is plugged into a garage circuit with GFI. They fight each other and trip.


uh.... how many times has your hair dryer, electric pressure washer etcl with GFI tripped and faught with the breaker panel GFI????

IMHO pure BS. Downstream GFI's work well with an breaker panel or upstream GFI.

I've got literally dozens of downstream GFI devices used in the house and trailer along with breaker panel GFCI/AFCI on all my circuits and NEVER have had an issue with a downstream GFCI causing conflict or tripping with a breaker panel GFI or vice versa.

Same with our son in his house.

any time one or the other tripped it was a FAULT, pure and simple. They did what they were supposed to do.


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/28/20 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

ppine wrote:

GFIs are very sensitive. They trip all the time.
Many MHs and TTs have a 30 amp system but are plugged into a barn or garage with a 20 amp circuit.

Sometimes your rig with a GFI is plugged into a garage circuit with GFI. They fight each other and trip.


uh.... how many times has your hair dryer, electric pressure washer etcl with GFI tripped and faught with the breaker panel GFI????

IMHO pure BS. Downstream GFI's work well with an breaker panel or upstream GFI.

I've got literally dozens of downstream GFI devices used in the house and trailer along with breaker panel GFCI/AFCI on all my circuits and NEVER have had an issue with a downstream GFCI causing conflict or tripping with a breaker panel GFI or vice versa.

Same with our son in his house.

any time one or the other tripped it was a FAULT, pure and simple. They did what they were supposed to do.

True. GFCI's fighting each other and tripping is a myth. But it is a commonly believed myth.


Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > GFIC tripping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.