|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Comparing 3 Class Bs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
suzago

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am researching new-to-me Class Bs. 65 year old woman, traveling solo with a dog. Long weekends and summer trips up to 2-3 weeks at a time. Handy with tools but limited automotive experience, but I anticipate getting a Good Sam's (or other?) membership. Budget: around 25k.

Current available candidates, all in apparently good condition and in my budget, in my area are:

1) 2001 Kodiak VXL 2000 (22 ft) 40k miles

2) 1999 Chinook Premier, 20 ft, 78k miles, owner says no solar but I thought they all came solar-ready?

3) 2004 GulfStream BT Cruiser (double-slide, so not really a Class B) (25 ft) 80k miles (giant compared to the other two)

I plan on having anything checked out by a RV mechanic, and aside from asking about leaks, repairs, generator usage, what else do I really need to know? I anticipate I will have to fix and upgrade things. Appreciate any advice!

Thank you in advance!

* This post was edited 12/26/20 08:40pm by suzago *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

May I respectfully suggest looking at small class c units. There is a lot more bang for the buck and a shower that is much more easily used. They come as small as 22 feet, with 26 feet being the ideal size as far as wheel base to length ratio goes.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

May I respectfully suggest looking at small class c units. There is a lot more bang for the buck and a shower that is much more easily used. They come as small as 22 feet, with 26 feet being the ideal size as far as wheel base to length ratio goes.

The reality is that all three of the vehicles that she has listed are small Class C rigs. None are B's.

So perhaps she needs to go over to the Class C board to find people who are familiar with these rigs.

BTW Suzago, there was no solar on rigs back in '99 so you won't find anything solar ready of that age. My first rig with a solar option was the 2015. Not that a good solar company couldn't add it.

Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take off your list any that don’t meet your bathroom needs including fresh water and waste tank capacities. Water is the limiting factor with RVs. Have a pro inspect the unit but even then all those you mentioned are 20+ years old.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suzago wrote:

I anticipate I will have to fix and upgrade things. Appreciate any advice!

I tell this to everyone looking at an older RV. If it is over 10 years ASSUME you are going to need a full replacement roof. Not just a rubber membrane replacement, but a tear off the plywood and examine and replace rotten roof supports.

Now if it is a true Class B, with either the original metal roof or a fiberglass raised roof, you just need to inspect for cracks and seams. (As stated by mumkin, those are all small Class C.)

Windows are another issue. Aftermarket windows may have to be removed, edges cleaned and reinstalled.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The reality is that all three of the vehicles that she has listed are small Class C rigs. None are B's.

So perhaps she needs to go over to the Class C board to find people who are familiar with these rigs.
This really is the best advice. Through no fault of the original poster who is new to RVing, the listed “B” RVs aren’t actually class B but really class C. Having moved (happily) from a Class A to a B I can tell you that a B and C are quite different.

That said, given the description on how it will be used I think the OP might want to consider a true class B. The problem there is that true class B units cost more “per square foot”.

Dave

* This post was edited 12/27/20 01:08pm by magicbus *

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus,

I agree on the huge price difference between B and C. Having a beer budget I can't justify a B vs C. Certainly if the OP wishes to full time a C may be a better choice.

suzago

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your helpful advice and support. These three were listed as class Bs and I knew the GulfStream wasn't, but I thought the Kodiak was, until I looked closer. (And I still think the Chinook is a Class B - or maybe B+?) Anyway - appreciate the responses.

The Kodiak is still top of my list. Looks perfect for me. I'll have it checked out and ask a lot of questions. Thanks!

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See if you can find an Xplorer 230 Class B. They were made until 2004 (I think). I have had a 1997 Xplorer 230XL since 2000 and love it. I usually travel alone and it is more than enough for me. It's 21' long. It is on a Dodge van chassis and is easily worked on. Mine has 190,000 miles and is in good shape. I did have to have some rust work done, but I do not drive it in the winter unless I am heading to FLA.

Trail-Mate

Frederick, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Kodiak I would consider it a B but when made it was considered a small C. Kodiak Is on Van Chassis and has custom Fiberglass House. No over head Bed area and Wet Bath. This is why I consider it a B.
I will be purchasing a 2003 Kodiak in a month or so. VXL2000 26 foot. so it you decide on the Kodiak I may be able to help with information once I get mine.

1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Comparing 3 Class Bs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.