RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Collecting 5th wheel Tow Data, just for fun, 2000 mile trip

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Collecting 5th wheel Tow Data, just for fun, 2000 mile trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And HOW are you going to know they’re overloaded?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a survey of "Independent" RV/HotShot light trucks in 2016 traveling from SoCal to Elkhart, IN. It was EZ-PZ as mentioned pen and paper. Example below. The result was RAM #1 by far, Ford and GM were close until we got into Elkhart area and there were many 7.3 older Fords doing local hauls between suppliers.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I did a survey of "Independent" RV/HotShot light trucks in 2016 traveling from SoCal to Elkhart, IN. It was EZ-PZ as mentioned pen and paper. Example below. The result was RAM #1 by far, Ford and GM were close until we got into Elkhart area and there were many 7.3 older Fords doing local hauls between suppliers.

[image]

My father in law had an oil field hot shot business for years. Always ran Dodge/RAMs, except he got himself a GMC 3500 Denali at one point [emoticon] Ended up getting in a wreck w/ the Denali and it got totalled, and they still have the Dodge 5500 that's still truckin' along even though they shut down the business. It just tows their 5th wheel these days [emoticon]

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

[image]

But ,not apple to apples . I would venture to say recreational is a much different story. We know Ford out sells Ram. Hotshotting is one thing entirely, they know the Cummins is the more reliable motor. And as we know the 6.0, and 6.4 Ford did not do a thing to help that thinking at all. 6.7 Powerstroke has probably changed a lot of minds in those 4 years since you did your survey. But regardless there are more Fords overall towing then Rams . That gap has closed in recent years ,but still not there yet . [emoticon]

Not a very good survey, but I stay most of the summer in Montana in a small RV park. I am the only Ram owner other then one other gasser ,the rest Fords , and a couple Gm's . This is among the regulars that occupy most of the 20 sites . As said not a great survey, but its probably more the norm then not in RV parks.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooky stinks wrote:

And HOW are you going to know they’re overloaded?

I guess some can tell by just looking. We get those silly "look what I saw posts" with a picture of some type of vehicle pulling a trailer or carrying something...then claim its overloaded.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on where the RV parks are. Weekend warriors the Powerstroke will win. Full timers RAM will win.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Depends on where the RV parks are. Weekend warriors the Powerstroke will win. Full timers RAM will win.

Does the survey count if a good friend that’s full time has a new Powerstroke [emoticon]

vcv

North Ga

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

I hope you won't be "tapping" the phone while driving...

Rob

Yeah, I was going to use my old fashion bean counter but it was too big to fit on the dash...

vcv

North Ga

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

My only thought is don't get so fixated on collecting data that you don't pay sufficient attention to what's going on around you. Maybe let the passenger collect all the data, and you just alert them when there is data to collect.

“Fixated”? I’m not going to compromise safety by focusing on trucks more than the road. Just a quick glance, no different than anyone else glances at other trucks on the road. I can walk and chew gum. And the wife will be holding the cell phone most of the time logging the data.

vcv

North Ga

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

OP I am confident you can drive and chew gum at the same time.

I’m 2 days into the trip and have made it to AL. The app is working great. So far Ford 6.7’s are in the lead, but only by a hair. Ram is only a couple behind, with Dmax in 3rd. A couple 6.0’s so far. And 2 LBZs. Also seen a Top Kick pulling a triple axle horse trailer. I including him in the data b/c the horse trailer had sleeping quarters (half the trailer was living quarters).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Collecting 5th wheel Tow Data, just for fun, 2000 mile trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.