|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> lance max/ af 1150 question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ernie Fergler

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those familiar with the lance 981 or af 1150, Im wondering if either of these are usable with the slide in. By usable, I mean accessable for quick lunch / bathroom breaks. Ive only seen these campers through photos with the slide extended, and cant determine what they look like closed up. I called both dealers and asked. First dealer responded "no idea". Second one responded "I spose you could". Not too many TC knowlegable dealers in the midwest. Both of these campers are 2005 models and are 280 miles from me, seperate dealerships, 40 miles apart. Difficult to look at both in 1 day, 1 trip. Would like to hear comments on both of these campers from former/ current owners. Ive owned a class c, and 2 5th wheels, but the only things I know about TC's, is what Ive learned from the guys on this forum. So thank you all for what I think I know.

2016 Ram 3500 dually, Aisen, 4.10 gear, 4x4, 8 ft bed
2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AF is totally useable with slide in. Sticks into doorway about 6” when fully closed.
Slider switch is right by bottom of entry door so also super easy to run it out a little or a lot depending on what you want, provided you keep everything out of the way of the slide out.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No idea. Also something I've wondered.

But at least by their answer they've show ignorance and/or incompetence. So you know to tread cautiously when buying from them or avoiding them all together.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as other comments you asked for, both are 15 years old and at a dealer who will have about a zero % chance of knowing their history or even caring about that.
You however should have a keen interest in the campers’ history, particularly how it was cared for and how it was stored.
Proceed with great caution with a totally unknown old camper in the middle of winter.
There is a good chance that both of them leak or have leaked.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From memory of other post, believe you have to put the slides out at least 6" to be able to use any of the facilities. By pulling images into paint and making the slide go in, looks like the minimum of 6" is accurate but think they need to both go about 1/2 way out for anything but a skinny person or contortionist to use. Hopefully other actual owners will post up.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Or if you read my post, AFs are useable. I guess if you’re really fat they’re not....

Bert, you hit the nail on the head. Reading comprehension is poor at best here.

FireGuard

Frazier Park

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 981 and you can squeeze past the dinette with the slide in and use everything.
A little tight but doable.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2007 Lance 1181 here and it's a squeeze. but can be done. As said above I push it out 6 inches. Good luck with your quest!

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your looking for one useable with the slide in check out the 1191, plenty of space with the slide in, even more with it out.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Ernie Fergler

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx to all that replied, with special thanks to Grit Dog, because his answer was the one I wanted to see, even though the AF is my 2nd choice of the 2.

I've been shopping for a TC for over 10 years looking for the "right" one. It will be my secondary camper used for a trip to Alaska ,and short stays at nat. parks and blm camping. I have a 5th wheel for longer, less mobile stays. My budget is under 15K, hence the age of these 2, both listed at 10ish. When I first started looking, my budget was 10K and you could get a '99 or '00 model for that price. Today, the same 10K will buy about the same camper. In today's covid market hard side campers in my price range just don't exist.

Thx again for the replies.
Ernie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> lance max/ af 1150 question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.