|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Scary Incidents in Life, Part 1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

Carrying bear spray, is better than a gun and way better than nothing at all.

All depends on what gun and who's holding it.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite mountain lion story did not happen to me.

About 10 or 12 years ago, one of the Rangers at Big Bend National Park was giving a presentation using slides at the amphitheater in the Chisos Mountains Basin. Early in the presentation, a largish mountain lion climbed onto a rock behind the stage, with a view of the stage and crowd.

Stayed there for the full hour long presentation, then left when the show was over.

The Ranger was surprised when people asked about the mountain lion. He could not see it because of the lights from the slides.

Sounds like a BS story, right!!

Except the Ranger's wife came with him that night with her camera. Took several pictures of the guy giving the presentation (on flowers/ cactus/ etc) with the lion eight feet or so above him.

The pictures are part of the biologist presentation on mountain lions now.

The thicket behind and above the stage is known to have a mountain lion den many years. Too thick and much interwoven cactus and thorns for anyone to get in there. The mothers move the cubs a few weeks after they are mobile.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago I was bow hunting in Northern Wisconsin, I always carry a revolver when in the wilderness.
As I stalked the elusive White Tail I made my around a stand of dense shrubbery and about three feet in front of me was the most dangerous creature in Wisconsin, the biggest Skunk I have ever seen.
His tail went up I instantly turned and ran face first into a tree, my bow when one way and I went the other. I have no idea where the skunk went but after about ten minutes I made my way back to retrieve the bow, the skunk was no where to be found.
He was probably laughing so hard he forgot to spray then ran off to tell his buddies about it.
There are time when the only option is to retreat.[emoticon]

"Oath Keeper"
Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 01:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have several stories from roaming the deep woods, the animal traces and Native American Ancestors paths in the Cumberlands as boy and man.
Two instances in the seventies in the same area called Sinking Cove, for a stream that emerges in the mountains and disappears back into the ground in mid stream bed when flow is low and flows parallel to the Tn River underground in huge caverns.
On a deer hunt way before daylight, I walked in. I saw a lot of deer but mostly does. Some within an arms reach behind a screen of cedars. They stomped and snorted to get me to move to see whether I was a stump or animal.
I enjoyed just being there. On the way out night settled in. The old farm road is parallel to parts of an ancient trace from the mountain through the cove, and on into what was the flat land of the Tn River and from then some branches joined to the weest the Natchez Trace and others animal paths or highways for the once plentiful Elk, Buffalo, and Deer and the Bears, Painters, and Wolves that followed their food supply. The trace is six feet deep in places.
About the time I turned the curve in the road along the last field I felt the hair on my neck stand up. A hundred yards further on I heard the low grumble of a Painter, as Grand Ma Called them, I had my rifle now at port arms but could not see much even with eyes atuned to the night. The ct kept sounding a bit more insistent and was not shy about cracking small limbs etc in its path. about the time I could make out the shape of the barn several as in a lot of fa4mr dogs came up beside the road. They crossed in front of me and up into the trace. It sounded like war. That cat screamed and the race was on. I made it to my truck and had to sit there a while to settle my nerves. I was used to spending nights in the woos in the midst of copses of small trees to protect my back with a fire. I heard many sounds in the woods in the deep of night that were unnerving, but always felt safe in my abilities to deal with what may come but I guess was and am getting old. That cat could have attacked me any number of opportunities. Perhaps he recognized a gun. I don't know but thank my Maker, i didn't have to try to fight a Painter in the middle of the night. Now 15 years ago, I spect TWRA made a cast of Cougars footprints. She had been spotted with a cub not 20 yards from our home now. The Biologist told the former land owner that it was a female between 150-175 lbs. They are many times stronger than any man pound per pound. The chances of my survival might have been pretty slim!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Bear spray has maybe a 30’ range.

A bear can charge at 40 mph, that’s about 59’ per second.

A mountain lion can charge at 50 mph, that’s about 73’ per second

Let me repeat, bear spray has maybe a 30’ range. I’d be surprised if you could reach, activate, point, and shoot bear spray in the right direction in lass than 1/2 a second.... let alone having it reach its target and take effect.

The same restrictions also apply to firearms.

cougar28 wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

Carrying bear spray, is better than a gun and way better than nothing at all.

All depends on what gun and who's holding it.

Yes, we all know we are faster than lightning, and have nerves of steel and never miss shot.
We all grew up in Lake Woebegone. But maybe a few live in reality. We understand that even if that round hits the target, it can go thru, hit something else. And most shots, that something else can be a long ways off.
Bear spray might not work, but a cloud between you and the animal will do no long-term harm.
The family still laughs about the Thanksgiving dinner when the 6 YO got the pepper spray out of aunts purse. Accidental discharge of pistol would not be funny.

Back on topic; Decades back ridding a 2-lane rural highway. Needed to kick water out of a tree, wanted to burn some illegal substances. Pulled off at what looked like a parking spot. Saw a path down to the stream, looked like it would be easy for my ride. Got to bottom turned around with no issue. Bic in 1 hand richard in the other, heard noise in bush. Bear cub. Another noise behind me...
Now, I rode that old Pan-head for most of 2 decades, and that is the only time I remember it starting on first kick. I stopped a couple miles down the road to tuck things away. Next town found car wash for bike and jeans.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm really enjoying these narratives. They could be the basis for a best selling book some day!

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay on topic folks, or we're going to have to shut this one down. Thanks.

Hammerhead

North of Normal

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My scariest moment was regaining consciousness after a rollover accident finding myself pinned under the car. I was 9 years old at the time and there were some fence posts my dad and brother used to pry up the car to pull me out. I only ended up with broken ribs and a nasty scar on my left thigh. My whole body tingled like when your foot is “asleep” when I was trapped. Then on the ambulance ride to the big city hospital we had to stop and wait for the free-range cattle to get off the highway.

Bluhorn

Sunny Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really enjoyed these stories! I was working one day on my Sons sailboat which is docked in SW Florida on a river. The cover for the exhaust was hanging open and I was trying to free it. I scanned the water to see if anything was lurking,just a few fish and turtles. I leaned over the transom to free the hinge whilst keeping an eye peeled. A few minutes gos by and I became a little too wrapped up in my work.I looked up and about 3-4 ft away was a Gator starring at me! Dropped my pliers in the water and got up quickly. He didnt advance but when I stood up he opened his mouth. ****! I learned my lesson. I also learned Tide is great on stains![emoticon]

1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2006 Wildcat 28RK
2018 Sunset Trail 210FK
Kodi the Wonder Dog!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1971 working on a 'Pulling Unit' in oilfield (portable derrick used to repair production wells)

We had been pulling pipe for couple of days ---- 2 sections of 33' at a time on a 5000' deep well when it began SNOWING HARD so rig was shut down for couple days

We then went back to pulling pipe until all was out and we could replace the 480V pump on the last string.

After the 'electrician' replaced pump/connected the 480V Cables we started running pipe back in.
When we got to the pipe that had been standing in the derrick when it snowed as the Derrick Hand I had to reach up and drop a 5 lb mandrel into end of pipe so when pipe was picked up the mandrel would fall down thru the 2 sections clearing any blockage

I only had the last row to drop the mandrel down but the top of the pipe was just out of my reach so I had to climb up on the rail around the 'Monkeyboard' (platform that derrick hand works from and pipe is secured)

Now remember it had SNOWED....rail was oily and slick
Yep...I slipped and fell ------ about 6' when my 'safety line' STOPPED my fall (safety line...a 2" dia piece of rope tied to back rail of monkeyboard and tied to a 'D' Ring on safety belt)

So there I was dangling like a marionet puppet looking down 60+ feet waiting for couple of the crew to climb up and pull me back up.

That episode was scarier then when I 'rode' the pipe down from monkeyboard to floor when I was in a hurry and grabbed a standing pipe, slapped it into the elevator ears on the traveling block and slid down the pipe. I had forgotten to put my SAFETY BELT ON!!!!

It happened so FAST I didn't have time to be scared....pure instinct had be wrap my arms/legs around the pipe

Only thing I heard was 'driller' yelling "Come on we got pipe to run"
*not a lot of sympathy on a oil rig

Misspent youth ....LOL

Portable Pulling Unit in travel mode
[image]

Pulling Unit set up on site
[image]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Scary Incidents in Life, Part 1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.