RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: does a detached over-the-air television antenna help?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> does a detached over-the-air television antenna help?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you empty your wallet on OTA antennas, see what signals/stations can be received in your specific camping location. Goto AntennaWeb or ANTOP and enter the address where you will be camping. The lists will tell you the signal strength and direction to point your antenna. An omnidirectional antenna will pickup nearby strong stations without pointing. A directional antenna is required for moderate stations and must be pointed directly at those towers. Weak stations require a very big antenna mounted high up and pointed directly at those towers.

If you do purchase your own antenna, be sure it comes with an RG6 cable for best reception. Do not use an RG59 cable.

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

A directional will beat an omni every time. Also, an antenna on the roof should beat one on the ground every time due to higher elevation.

Both statements are accurate !

With OTA being 100% digital, it is harder to tell if you are pointing in the "optimal" direction.

Not at all. The TV has a signal strength meter somewhere in the MENU and if you get the SENSAR PRO optional wall plate it also has one.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, a directional antenna is better but 90% of the time it's height that makes the difference.

The signals are line of sight (hence the really tall TV towers). If there are trees or hills in the way, doesn't matter how good the directionality is, you won't pick up anything. If you can get higher, you may be able to see over the obstacle.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did basically the same thing as Old-Biscuit. I bought 3 peaces of 5Ft 1 inch thinwall conduit and 2 conectors to make a 15 FT mast. I mounted a ClearStream 2V antenna to the mast. At the back bumper I pound it into the ground a few inches and zip tie it to the back bumper. Aim in the direction of the TV towers and pull in more stations then my RV antenna ever did.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Some times our Winegard Crank up would only pull in a couple of channels.....

Good chance you had cable or connection issues.

Most folks do not know this but there is a connection at the roof line. Mine was ...... Well and truly corrorded.

I trimmed and re-dressed the wire ends. Replaced with HIGH QUALITY Weather proof connectors. Re-sealed (Well) and no more tribble. (Till the day I forgot to lower the beast and then I trimmed and re-dressed the OTHER end of the top wire. Replaced the head and WOW (Went from an OLD III+wingman to an NEW IV)

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been using the Wineguard Sensar IV with the Sensar Pro Wall plate since it came out several years ago and were quite satisfied until my son bought a Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V TV Antenna
We mounted it on a plywood base and put it on the roof of our trailer and it outperformed our Wineguard by quite a bit. All the pixelating was gone and the stations stayed tuned in much better. Didn't get any new stations but the old ones were much more watchable.[emoticon]
P.S. Our trailer is permanently parked in our sons campground now. Does not get moved anymore.
Barney

[image]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Some times our Winegard Crank up would only pull in a couple of channels.....

Good chance you had cable or connection issues.

Most folks do not know this but there is a connection at the roof line. Mine was ...... Well and truly corrorded.

I trimmed and re-dressed the wire ends. Replaced with HIGH QUALITY Weather proof connectors. Re-sealed (Well) and no more tribble. (Till the day I forgot to lower the beast and then I trimmed and re-dressed the OTHER end of the top wire. Replaced the head and WOW (Went from an OLD III+wingman to an NEW IV)

NOPE!!!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> does a detached over-the-air television antenna help?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.