RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Busted!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Busted!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to go off topic but I got a couple wood storage sheds at a Great price....I have a 10' concrete block retaining wall with a 6' wooden fence on top of that separating myself and the neighbor behind me. Being the sheds were wood, there was some hammering, nail gun usage but I honestly used more screws because I was aware of the noise hammering makes. Long story short, my neighbor above me didn't like me hammering in my own yard....she called the city saying I was illegally constructing a building on my property. Of course they came out and said I was fine but I'd have to come down and pay a fee(100.00)...not a building permit but just a Code fee.

It still makes me laugh because I'm an old fart and I never started before noon and finished after only 2-3 hours....it took me 6 weeks, so I wasn't out there every day either. You can't please everyone!!!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My city passed such a stupid law after I moved in, luckily like many such nanny laws they don't apply to my house as I'm in the rural residential section of town and our representative is very good about adding language excepting us from such stupidity.

Now as far as using another part of your yard, of it's not flat I can recommend railroad ties and 10" anchor screws to hold back 3/4 minus stone. My side yard is so steep that it drops over 20" over 12', I was able to make it level using 4 layers of ties and a 14 ton load of stone, total cost was like $600.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Comply or remove......simple decision

Council is not going to budge
Small Town...complaint filed.......town politics prevail

I live in one also...12K
Use to go to Council Weekly Meetings. Would come home all wound-up due to the Idiots on the council and there 'thought' process

After 6 months of this I quit going...wasn't worth the heartburn, blood pressure and just being peed off

Life has been much better.........still idiots on the council cause they have 'ties' to community (Once again Small Town Politics at large)

My 5vr is parked on my property with FHUs right out in the open....cause THAT was a requirement when we were looking to buy

Comply or Storage....
*Hate to see a good tree removed, along with the other needed work/monies but if you want it on site.....comply and be done with it

Storage until Spring...then do the needed mods

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some are nicer than me. I'd find out by going house to house asking who the trailer was offending. When I found out I would try to reason out the problem and if we couldn't work it out I would politely explain that they would walk the straight and narrow and any thing they did I would turn them in and make their life miserable too. That's why I live in the country on many acres and have no problems with neighbors.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 02:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NIMBYs, Busy Bodies, and Geezers oh my.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 03:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed to buy our first boat years ago over a weekend.
Went to the bank at lunch Monday, paid, and took the boat home.
Left it in the driveway and went back to work.
Came home to a violation.
At least one neighbor had nothing better to do I guess.
I did get the last laugh however. One of my pals in the neighborhood had a corner lot and a boat. One street side compliant, one side not. We laughed for years watching that "Karen" spit nails. Didn't stop her from calling. They finally warned her to desist.
Good luck with whatever solution you use with your RV.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Use to go to Council Weekly Meetings. Would come home all wound-up due to the Idiots on the council and there 'thought' process

After 6 months of this I quit going...wasn't worth the heartburn, blood pressure and just being peed off

Life has been much better.........still idiots on the council cause they have 'ties' to community (Once again Small Town Politics at large)

Comply or Storage....
*Hate to see a good tree removed, along with the other needed work/monies but if you want it on site.....comply and be done with it

Storage until Spring...then do the needed mods

I've gone through EXACTLY the same process with the same results. I have no intention of fighting City Hall on this one. Even if you win, you lose too much.

I understand that the trailer in front of the house detracts from the overall visual appeal of the neighborhood. I understand that my property will "look better" if the trailer is elsewhere. Still, it is disappointing that it's been OK with everyone for years, but suddenly someone has a problem with it. I also really detest the whole notion of neighbors turning neighbors in to the authorities. I can't help but wonder if this whole COVID thing has emboldened people to act that way.

I've been researching storage places. I only need to find a place for the months of February and March this year, because they gave me to the end of January to comply. I'll probably move it to storage this year and then work on making a place for it in the back yard. The tree is no stately, towering, majestic natural wonder. It was damaged in an ice storm many years ago, and it is sort of ugly as a result. It won't be missed. The leveling and other work can be done relatively inexpensively.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

I've been researching storage places. I only need to find a place for the months of February and March this year, because they gave me to the end of January to comply. I'll probably move it to storage this year and then work on making a place for it in the back yard. The tree is no stately, towering, majestic natural wonder. It was damaged in an ice storm many years ago, and it is sort of ugly as a result. It won't be missed. The leveling and other work can be done relatively inexpensively.

-Speak

I think this is the right decision Speak. Maybe you can make some coin from this. Is the tree a hardwood tree that you could cut up, split and sell face cords or smaller bundles of firewood? Craigslist and Facebook marketplace would be your friend in that case.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My city has rules also and if you have a 24' or smaller TT yo0u have to keep it in you back yard behind the house. I can agree with them as I wouldn't want to look at an RV out my doorwall or in a neighbors yard. We have a TT that is about 40' and we keep it in northern Michigan at a vacation house3 that has no restrictions and few neighbor none are full time residents, different world. Works for us plus being north it is a great stepping stone to the Upper and beyond.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

SpeakEasy wrote:

-Speak

I think this is the right decision Speak. Maybe you can make some coin from this. Is the tree a hardwood tree that you could cut up, split and sell face cords or smaller bundles of firewood? Craigslist and Facebook marketplace would be your friend in that case.

Good advice even if you give the wood to some one that removes tree like yours.
I had the same thing happen to me when we moved into a new housing addition with no HOA protection out of the city limits. In five years time the addition looked like a slum area on the wrong side of town. Dump trucks..garbage trucks...service trucks...broken down cars...race cars on trailers...fishing boats...rvs of all types sitting in mud in new homes front yards yards.
At that time I had a 9' 6" truck camper sitting beside my garage.

One neighbor had a tree service including removal. He also was in the same fix with his equipment and even sold firewood out of his front yard. Anywayz he removed two hackberry trees for the wood. I then made a double gate in the chain link fence wide enough to back the truck through. I added 3/4" crusher run limestone and let bermuda grass grow over it so the gravel didn't show.
Most welcomed the new city codes as the addition lost the slum look.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Busted!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.