RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Busted!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Busted!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been living in my current home (which I own) for over 17 years. It's located in a small city of about 11,000 people. My property is a half-acre, fairly level lot on a suburban-style street. The neighborhood was developed between the late 1960's and 1970's. I've kept a travel trailer parked in my driveway for the last 5 years, and I had a popup parked in the driveway for 12 years before that.

Last week I got a citation from the city, telling me that I am in violation of a city ordinance. Apparently, from Dec. 1 to April 1 I am not allowed to keep the travel trailer in my driveway in the front of my house. The paperwork indicates that this ordinance was established in 2001 - two years before I moved here. There has never been any indication before now that I couldn't park in my own driveway. The city relies on community members to report violations, so evidently someone decided that they didn't like looking at my travel trailer and they blew me in. I am not happy. I've been given until the end of January to get the trailer out of my driveway.

I'm allowed to park it in my back yard, but I can't get the trailer back there without some property modifications. On one side of the house I have enough space to get through, but I have to remove a spruce tree, trim some branches on some other trees, and do some leveling. I will have to drive on the lawn in order to get the trailer back to the space I will park it in. I'm able and willing to do these property modifications, but the whole thing is a PITA. Obviously, an alternative would be to find an off-site storage site for the months in question.

Any advice or comments on the choices I face? Anyone else doing something similar to what I'm describing for back-yard storage?

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than paying the citation and modifying your property, I don't. Sorry about your situation.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gooma

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you only have two choices.
I park my TT in the back yard on a cement pad for the tires and jack. The only problem is getting in or out after a rain, or in the spring thaw. Otherwise it works for me fine. Only once was rain a problem and I was able to park in the driveway for a couple of days till the ground dried out a little.
Blankety, Blank Busybodies!

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you do anything is it possible you could go to the city fathers and politely plead your case and ask for a waiver explaining how long you have had it there with out any notice?

Guy

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for a storage space.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

trailernovice

Mission TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(see my pm)

Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

build a garage.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain. Our city apparently has a Code indicating that your RV must be 13' from the face of the curb. Action on this code is only taken upon neighbors complaint. I had to shave off the eaves of my home on the side yard in order to back the MH in far enough to achieve this distance.

I have to admit I sometimes do not back all the way in until I get told to do so by Code enforcement and of course that's only after my lovely neighbor has called. Just to be sure, we're talking about 3' distance further back.
Good luck with your neighbors!?

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

Before you do anything is it possible you could go to the city fathers and politely plead your case and ask for a waiver explaining how long you have had it there with out any notice?

Guy

I suppose it's worth a try, but my previous experience suggests that it won't help. The people who run our city are the smug, arrogant, elitist type.

-Speak

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I would look for a storage space.

That was actually my first thought. But then I got to thinking about how nice it is to have the trailer on hand as an emergency off-grid shelter and a get-out-of-town-in-an-emergency lifeboat. I'd really rather have it here on my property.

-Speak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Busted!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.