RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Busted!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Busted!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe in using the system vice being used by it.
Have you obtained a full copy of the ordinance you are accused of violating?
Not allowed to park your trailer on your property off street seems hokey. Was the purpose to get you to park your vehicles off the street in winter? HOAAs can be pricky about appearance but a town is hard pressed to use that excuse. Mere parking an RV that does not interfere with traffic that no one is occupying?

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also live in Western NY. I would find a place to store it for the rest of this winter and then do the work on your property in the Spring if that's what you want to do. Most of those self storage places offer outside storage for RV's at reasonable prices. The weather alone would stop me from trying to do it now. With that being said, I created a pad in my yard that hss pressure treated 4X6's for a border and filled with Asphalt millings. It has worked out great. I don't sink in and millings are cheap. I borrowed a buddy's backhoe and dug out the lawn, put in the 4X6's myself and paid $1000 to have the millings delivered, raked out and rolled. If you're wondering why I didn't go out to the street, it's because code in my area only allows for one driveway on a residential property so I did what I could get away with.

[image]

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

Guy Roan wrote:

Before you do anything is it possible you could go to the city fathers and politely plead your case and ask for a waiver explaining how long you have had it there with out any notice?

Guy

I suppose it's worth a try, but my previous experience suggests that it won't help. The people who run our city are the smug, arrogant, elitist type.

-Speak

They may not want to waive enforcing a law for one individual because it will set a precedent?
I would make the modifications and park in the yard.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had such a nieghbor once. A similar situation. only the beef was a few dead palm tree fronds. The second time I happened to catch the enforcement officer inspecting my house. I pointed out other houses in view from my house with far worse violations. A couple actually had dead trees. I asked why nothing was being done to them. The officer replied that I was the only complaint he had on my street, but if I wanted to file a complaint, he would take action. I said no I do not want to do that. But I would like to know who is complaining about me. He said he could not tell me. I told him "OK, but please give them a message for me. Any more complaints, and I will paint my house pink with big purple polka dots. That is legal as the only thing the law states is that paint must be in good condition." The officer got a big grin on his face. I never had any more complaints.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I also live in Western NY. I would find a place to store it for the rest of this winter and then do the work on your property in the Spring if that's what you want to do. Most of those self storage places offer outside storage for RV's at reasonable prices. The weather alone would stop me from trying to do it now. With that being said, I created a pad in my yard that hss pressure treated 4X6's for a border and filled with Asphalt millings. It has worked out great. I don't sink in and millings are cheap. I borrowed a buddy's backhoe and dug out the lawn, put in the 4X6's myself and paid $1000 to have the millings delivered, raked out and rolled. If you're wondering why I didn't go out to the street, it's because code in my area only allows for one driveway on a residential property so I did what I could get away with.

[image]

Very nice setup!

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I would look for a storage space.

That was actually my first thought. But then I got to thinking about how nice it is to have the trailer on hand as an emergency off-grid shelter and a get-out-of-town-in-an-emergency lifeboat. I'd really rather have it here on my property.

-Speak
OK say your house floods or burns or just something in the neighborhood and you are not allowed into the area. The trailer in the same location in a disaster is part of the disaster. Couple miles away and one or the other is more likely to be usable.

Also if you get tired of storage distance and cost you have time to modify the home and yard to make the space ready. You have time to decide if you want to permanently remove the tree and pave the yard etc. You can't give your yard 30 day notice and it all pops back into shape. Some of the modifications will be semi permanent. Easy to quit the storage space.

If you trade RVs easy to change storage spots, unknown if the backyard is still a good option with the new RV.

Just my random thoughts, your call.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing you do is drive around the whole city taking pictures of every trailer parked "illegally". Present them, one by one, to the city council. Ask why YOU are being singled out. Show them a detailed plot map of your property, with elevations, so they understand what you would be up against if you decide to locate it in the rear.
I was told I could not install vinyl windows in a home in a historical district. I showed them over 100 pictures of similar homes in the area with replacement windows. I won my case, easily, saving my customers over $5,000 in the process. Who says you can't fight city hall?

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

Very nice setup! -Speak

Thanks!

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What could the possible logic be here? Like government has nothing better to do?

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Last week I got a citation from the city, telling me that I am in violation of a city ordinance. Apparently, from Dec. 1 to April 1 I am not allowed to keep the travel trailer in my driveway in the front of my house.

We've got similar here. Only we don't get certain months free. One thing that some have learned, is that "front of the house", literally means the area past the front facing limit of the dwelling. So if you can park it in your side yard for example, and none of it extends beyond the front face of the house, you're okay. That's here anyway, and maybe side yard isn't an option for you. I guess the lesson is to know the exact text of the code.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Busted!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.