RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Busted!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Busted!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, in this instance, somebody did not check the laws about property before he bought.
Often somebody does not like neighbor, or something they are doing. They go to city, ask for a law. Nobody shows up to speak against passing the law, so city council follows the will of the people.
But politics is not important to be discussed...

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonder if they have a law against parking a legally licensed vehicle on the street? We ran into one of these deals years ago about unlicensed vehicles. That deal went in the shredder after one of the county council members pointed out that her son serving in Irac had his unlicensed vehicle in her yard.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously get a copy of the ordinance and make sure it applies...

But if it does, asking the council nicely is about your only real option. You bought the property when it was already under the ordinance. Otherwise, you could demand to be grandfathered in if you had the trailer there prior to the ordiance.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I removed a tree, fence and a hedge so I could squeeze our trailer into our 10’ wide side yard, 26 years ago. Not worth the hassle or the precedence. We live in da hood and I want whatever lax codes we have to be enforced so we don’t wind up with junk cars and furniture adorning the neighborhood. It’s a pita but neighborhoods can go to **** real quick once it starts with something so innocent.

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

I've been living in my current home (which I own) for over 17 years. It's located in a small city of about 11,000 people. My property is a half-acre, fairly level lot on a suburban-style street. The neighborhood was developed between the late 1960's and 1970's. I've kept a travel trailer parked in my driveway for the last 5 years, and I had a popup parked in the driveway for 12 years before that.

Last week I got a citation from the city, telling me that I am in violation of a city ordinance. Apparently, from Dec. 1 to April 1 I am not allowed to keep the travel trailer in my driveway in the front of my house. The paperwork indicates that this ordinance was established in 2001 - two years before I moved here. There has never been any indication before now that I couldn't park in my own driveway. The city relies on community members to report violations, so evidently someone decided that they didn't like looking at my travel trailer and they blew me in. I am not happy. I've been given until the end of January to get the trailer out of my driveway.

I'm allowed to park it in my back yard, but I can't get the trailer back there without some property modifications. On one side of the house I have enough space to get through, but I have to remove a spruce tree, trim some branches on some other trees, and do some leveling. I will have to drive on the lawn in order to get the trailer back to the space I will park it in. I'm able and willing to do these property modifications, but the whole thing is a PITA. Obviously, an alternative would be to find an off-site storage site for the months in question.

Any advice or comments on the choices I face? Anyone else doing something similar to what I'm describing for back-yard storage?

-Speak

Whats the cost of all tWhe backyard modifications v.s. the monthly cost of storage? How difficult will the backing in and pulling out of the backyard?

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've lived on my 70 acers 5 miles outside of any town for 30 years. A few years ago the county passed a law that anything being built has to have a permit. I had a open carport put up and didn't know about the permit and you would have swore by them I murdered someone because they didn't get there $25 permit fee!! I don't see how people living in town put up with there ****!

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

I removed a tree, fence and a hedge so I could squeeze our trailer into our 10’ wide side yard, 26 years ago. Not worth the hassle or the precedence. We live in da hood and I want whatever lax codes we have to be enforced so we don’t wind up with junk cars and furniture adorning the neighborhood. It’s a pita but neighborhoods can go to **** real quick once it starts with something so innocent.

I'm on the same side about this here.

Our last house, we lived in a cul-de-sac. We had one neighbor who brought home a 5er (old, depilated eye sore) and parked it in his driveway, extending out just onto the sidewalk. Which in turn made them move their basketball hoop into the street. And his teenage kids had even less parking, so they ended up parking in front of my house, making it difficult for me to get into/out of driveway in my car, REALLY difficult to get my RV in my side yard behind my fence, and impossible for any company we had to park near the house.

Personally, I was glad the city made him move it. If they had given him a variance, in my mind, it could have opened the door for other neighbors to do the same thing.

In my mind, you really have two choices. Go along with the ordinance and move the RV to where it is allowed. Or "fight city hall" to get the ordinance changed across the board. I know where I would be on that plight if I were in the same city.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting a variance will be DOA, unless you can show a valid reason why it should not apply to your particular circumstance. And WRT parking an RV, I cannot imagine what that would be.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my city you can't park any vehicle in front of the house. On your half acre it shouldn't be a problem to comply.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My suburb (larger than your town) has a similar ordinance, but it is 12 months of the year. I see lot of boats and RVs parked in driveways BESIDE the house, not in back. Well, I do live in the "blue collar" section of this suburb, so I guess my neighbors don't mind it !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Busted!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.