|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Employment VS Unemployment

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the long term hotel where I'm currently living I've noticed a decline in the number of housekeepers recently. Today, I saw the general manager performing housekeeper duties in addition to her own, including the ass't manager. I questioned her as to what was happening with the housekeeping girls. She told me they were quitting because they can do better financially on unemployment.

I've seen these housekeepers in action. They are hard workers, but undoubtedly working for very low wages. I suppose this is happening in many industries right now. I can't say I blame the workers. In today's environment money has become an especially important commodity, and if it means quitting a job, so be it. I hope they realize unemployment benefits aren't meant to be permanent, but as long as the pandemic continues, they may continue into the indefinite future.

I wonder, as long as Unemployment becomes more attractive to many lower paid service workers, will employers need to increase their wages substantially in order to compete? Of course, that will raise the cost of goods and services across the board. It's virtually impossible to live any sort of decent life on anything approaching minimum wage, unless that earner is supplementing a family's total income. It almost seems like the system is designed to destroy people who aren't relatively well off. For many it's just about impossible to "catch up" with increases in cost of living..

I learned long ago that working for an employer wouldn't lead to a successful financial future; so I began my own business. I understand that direction isn't for everybody, though, and has its own pitfalls. If I hadn't gone into business, I think I may have wound up homeless today, due to various circumstances in my life. Anyhow, my heart goes out to these hardworking folks who are trying to make it as best as they can during these cruel times. Bless them.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Previous Stimulus (CARE) provided an additional $600 a week for unemployment
Was for 16 weeks IIRC

This New Stimulus Package provides $300 a week for 10 weeks

Guess they can always get a 'housekeepers' job when the benefits stop

Course I don't think the intent was for folks to quit jobs so they could get the benefits

Times have changed......
To be eligible for unemployment benefits you didn't qualify if you quit or where fired for misconduct
Had to be due to no fault of your own
Times have changed.........

PS. Minimum wage jobs will always be there

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where can an employee quit and still be eligible for unemployment?
I thought that you had to be laid off.
Heard this stuff last round also.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Previous Stimulus (CARE) provided an additional $600 a week for unemployment
Was for 16 weeks IIRC

This New Stimulus Package provides $300 a week for 10 weeks

Guess they can always get a 'housekeepers' job when the benefits stop

Course I don't think the intent was for folks to quit jobs so they could get the benefits

Times have changed......
To be eligible for unemployment benefits you didn't qualify if you quit or where fired for misconduct
Had to be due to no fault of your own
Times have changed.........

PS. Minimum wage jobs will always be there

Yep, you're correct, Old Biscuit. In pre-covid times, just quitting a job didn't qualify an employee for benefits. I've worked steadily, minus 4 years in the military, from teenage years to retirement and have never been unemployed. Jobs were easy to find in my neck of the woods (Long Island, New York) during the latter half of the 20th century. Now, with employment opportunities becoming more and more difficult, it seems reasonable to many folks that they can make a good income by not working. I'm sure that could lead to a loss of self respect among some recipients of gov't handouts, even though those handouts mean their survival.

When I was living in Tucson recently, I tried to help a friend find a job there. He was working very low hours at a McDonalds restaurant. I checked online employment ads and was surprised at the fair amount of employment opportunities there were. So, there are jobs available if one is willing to look. Unfortunately my friend is not so motivated and prefers gov't stimulus to bail him out. Fortunately for him, he's living rent free in the home of an older woman. He does "pay" his way by looking after her, such as cooking meals, etc. I've read that more and more people are moving in with parents or other relatives. That's probably going to be a trend for quite a while.

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Qualifying for Unemployment It is a very 'mixed bag' and can vary by state.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Ed
I have also worked since 14 until retirement.....some times 2 jobs back to back

Been unemployed twice....both times not long enough to get/file for unemployment cause I went and FOUND another job.

Even during these times I see 'Hiring' signs at various businesses and I live between 2 small communities both roughly 12,000

Jobs are out there....folks can work IF they choose to do so.
But the 'stimulus' monies ARE better weekly then some jobs pay.....course those Jobs provide long term pay checks and self pride.
'Stimulus' monies are short term --- can be VERY helpful but atlas it is not going to continue.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, the main purpose of most low-paying jobs is to earn enough money to keep body and soul together. When the government tempts you away from the low-paying job you're currently employed on, with more money than you can make where you are, what do you do?

Businesses get incentives from government to do certain things, farmers get paid to not grow crops, people get paid not to work. Nobody said it had to make sense: "We're from the government, we're here to help you".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very few people with families or a individual will choose unemployment that ends in a few weeks vs a steady job that pays the bills and puts food on the table. I don't know of anyone who does this.
Does it happen.
I'm sure a few people do it but the vast majority IMO don't.

The topic always turns political ie;... poor vs not poor....low wage earner vs high wage earner....C word vs L word....other reasons its a political hated or liked program.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, the main purpose of most low-paying jobs is to earn enough money to keep body and soul together. When the government tempts you away from the low-paying job you're currently employed on, with more money than you can make where you are, what do you do?

Businesses get incentives from government to do certain things, farmers get paid to not grow crops, people get paid not to work. Nobody said it had to make sense: "We're from the government, we're here to help you".

Agreed, altho some low-paying jobs give folks the opportunity to learn job skills and responsibility when entering the work force. Others supplement retirement and occupy time. That fits at both entry and exit employment levels. None of those low-pay jobs are for lifetime employment if one has any upwards motivation. Unfortunately true also, many folks make more on government support than working, so what do they choose?

Many choose government support AND then work under the table, another burden on working taxpayers. This CV-19 issue has upset the economy in ways no one could predict, but has not changed much in the way of what workers choose in the long run.

This crisis has also changed employment in some unique ways as well. Uptick in home delivery occupations and technology, especially the work-from-home. And, has reduced employment in many direct customer service jobs, restaurants, gyms, nightclubs, bars, entertainment, exhibitions, etc. A major transition in our culture is in the works, whether we like it or not, or agree with it or not. Hopefully, we'll come out of it and rebound, and develop a better society for it.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems that one of the common mantras these days is "We need a Basic Living Stipend!" or some other name for a guaranteed income payment.
Let's think about that...
If everyone is guaranteed an income (let's say $500 per week tax free for life), how will we ever have anybody working a minimum wage job? Can we afford to make the minimum wage high enough that after taxes it will pay more than the "guaranteed income"? If so many are living just fine on the BLS, who is going to be working to pay the taxes to support them? How long will it be before the BLS recipients begin to demand MORE?
Think about it. Are we heading down that slippery slope now, with the seemingly never ending "stimulus payments?

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Employment VS Unemployment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.