|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Employment VS Unemployment

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was young (I am 70) minimum wage jobs were for first time workers, high school kids, etc. My first job working after school hours was in a retail record store paying 85 cents an hour! I did get to buy records at a discount though. Most if not all minimum wage workers went on to higher paying jobs. Minimum wage was not meant to support an adult or family.

I think one of the problems is so many kids not learning in high school nor graduating. I taught high school for 4 years (1975-1978) before going into business. A lot of the kids said they did not need an education as they were going to follow their parents into working for auto factories at a high union wage. I told them that the availability of those jobs were going to down with new technology and they needed an education. I told them they had an opportunity with a free education but they also had an opportunity to fail. It was up to them.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always find it amusing how many folks think all others should or could climb the ladder of success like they did.
I'm nearing 80 now but I learned many years ago one can't paint a picture of how to climb that ladder of success that fits all others. Impossible.

My ladder had periods of drawing unemployment from layoffs....economy down turns ....oil and gas industry crashes...other reasons above my control. I made it through but many others didn't....for their own reasons.

For the millions out of work do to covid-19 unemployment will be their life line for many months like my 31 year old neighbor with a wife and 5 kids (3 his and 2 hers). She takes care of the kids. She was doing house cleaning part time but c19 stopped that. He had a full time and part time job but both are gone due to c19. Unemployment and a min wage part time job is keeping the kids fed.
I'm sure right now hundreds of thousands of other new families are faced with the same problems as my neighbor.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks, for goodness sakes! There is no reason to make personal attacks and assumptions about other members posting. We hope this topic can continue to be discussed without several being so disagreeable. Let’s start the New Year on a positive note.

* This post was edited 12/31/20 10:35am by Moderator *

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What was/is disturbing was how quickly the unemployed due to cv19 had to run to the food banks to keep themselves fed once they weren't getting a paycheck. It shows the real fallacy of using low unemployment numbers and stock prices as an overall indicator of the state of the economy and the well being of the middle and low income earners.

Those w minimal functional educations have been left behind as technology and offshoring wreak havoc in the labor market. Also there are very few resources applied to retraining this group so they are left w minimum wage jobs, uber, etc where they pretty much get taken advantage of.

The current $600 stimulus is probably better directed at the unemployed rather than broadcast to all those w less than $75,000 ($150,000 per couple) in income. It would alleviate more suffering and less moneywould end up sitting in somebodies saving account.

In my experience quitting your job pretty much disqualifies one from getting benefits so I don't believe that is common.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Employment VS Unemployment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.