|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> Conflicting information tow dolly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most new cars lack a steering wheel lock. They went away with the advent of keyless ignitions.

I towed my Fiesta thousands of miles and never had the wheels move relative to the turntable. I also ran wreckers for a few years during grad-school, and you normally only secure the steering when towing a vehicle backwards. And we did use a seatbelt or strap. The steering locks can't be counted on to resist steering forces. Although there shouldn't be any on a tow dolly.

I don't see how strapping the steering will prevent the fenders from kissing. That's just a simple function of how huge modern cars have gotten. That was why I ended selling my dolly. If I ever dolly again, I'll go with the Acme dolly.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Call the dealer back and ask if your particular vehicle has any type of rear wheel drive. Or take to any mechanic (the dealer, the corner gas station, a brake and tire shop) and ask if the rear wheels have any power applied to them like in rear wheel drive or all wheel drive.

The Ford Fiesta is front wheel drive. No need to call the dealer or have a mechanic look at it. If the OP really had doubts, a 10 second look under the back of the would confirm that there is no rear drive axle.

Fifty4F100

Bartlett

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travisc wrote:

There are vehicles where the steering components can not handles the stress of this. I would get a representative of the vehicle manufacturer customer service engaged. There are fewer cars that are towable these days
If you ever saw how a steering wheel is locked, you would know that any front end components would hold up much better than what was locking the steering. I'm actually wondering if our 2017 Mini has a locking steering.

Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> Conflicting information tow dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.