|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Charging Li-Ions batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading up some on the topic and charging a bank seems to be an issue. Is anyone familiar with this application in the RV world? and or sail boats?

A bit of backstory...my S-I-L is planning to build a bank for his sailboat...to power his electric motor. He is offering to build me a bank for my RV and I have been 'encouraged' by one of our members, to do a bunch of research. So..doing that as well as asking here.

Gary Haupt

* This post was edited 12/29/20 09:23am by garyhaupt *

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine charge just fine.

Lithium in subject posts

garyhaupt

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Mine charge just fine.

Lithium in subject posts

Thanks...can you tell me what kind of charging system you have? I am reading about them and there seems to be quite a bit of concern...

https://community.particle.io/t/how-to-g........IWBylQQUlypYasPgUzbPWBDl3NeZOugtvpjS5cFU

Gary

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your link appears to be talking about very small batteries, not what we use in RVs.

Solar, Outback controller. 2 Schauer chargers in parallel, modified to charge Li. In case you don't know, I have a 48v 100ah Li pack.

Li's will take a monster charge and don't need absorbtion. The only caveat I'm aware of is the BMS will not allow charging if the batteries are too cold.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you interested in charging 'lithium-ion' batteries (ie 18650 cylindrical cells, lithium polymer cells or laptop/cellphone batteries) or are you interested in charging LiFePO4 batteries (what most folks are using to power their RVs)?

While they both have lithium in their name, they are different chemistries and have very different charging and use requirements.

garyhaupt wrote:

Thanks...can you tell me what kind of charging system you have? I am reading about them and there seems to be quite a bit of concern...

https://community.particle.io/t/how-to-g........IWBylQQUlypYasPgUzbPWBDl3NeZOugtvpjS5cFU

Gary

Lwiddis

Lake Crowley area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking forward to seeing what Gary and his SIL are planning to do.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

Reading up some on the topic and charging a bank seems to be an issue. Is anyone familiar with this application in the RV world? and or sail boats?

A bit of backstory...my S-I-L is planning to build a bank for his sailboat...to power his electric motor. He is offering to build me a bank for my RV and I have been 'encouraged' by one of our members, to do a bunch of research. So..doing that as well as asking here.
I don't think there is any issue with charging a lithium battery to a set voltage to match the required specification.

The real issue is the BMS to balance the cells, limit charging current, limit discharge current, limit high and low voltage, etc. All of which changes based on temperature.

I think most RVers use drop in batteries although a few roll their own.

Are you building a battery from individual cells and connecting your own BMS/controller?

* This post was edited 12/29/20 01:44pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

also son in law.

garyhaupt

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

I don't think there is any issue with charging a lithium battery to a set voltage to match the required specification.

The real issue is the BMS to balance the cells, limit charging current, limit discharge current, limit high and low voltage, etc. All of which changes based on temperature.

I think most RVers use drop in batteries although a few roll there own.

Are you building a battery from individual cells and connecting your own BMS/controller?

I don't have the foggiest idea....he is building his own..at least that is his plan..and offered to build me a bank as well. I was 'assuming' that I didn't have to understand anything more than I already do with 12v..which..things work or OMG the batteries are dead..now what? I posted my question hoping it was going to be an easily understood answer..now, I see that I must turn to a mind booster....will that be Makers Mark or Knob Creek...

Just as an aside...they have bought a 30ft 45 year old CnC and the engine is rusted to rat s***. Now out..they are heading for an electric motor with a rack of solar and bank of batteries. I have the motor link if anyone is interested..the name is Thunderstruck.

Gary

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok if you have a rechargable battery.. ANY Type. what you need is the proper charger.. Not too fast, not too slow.. Proper voltages and so on. And they make chargers for the batteries Some the charge controller is part of the battery Package) https://bioennopower.com/ for example I believe (and I stress that word Believe) makes them that way.. Do not know about battle Born but I believe (Again stress that word) they have a deal with Progressive Dynamics.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Charging Li-Ions batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.