RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Reminiscing...harrowing Experiences in the Military

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Reminiscing...harrowing Experiences in the Military

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot about the time in basic training at Ft.Sill. Went to the range where they had large steel pipe pits with lids on them. DI was explaining the procedure of opening them...and as usually super smart recruit only got as far as to remove the lid...he jumped into the hole as the DI said to look for rattlers first before jumping in.Very loud scream,he came out with a few rattlers dug into him. Some debated whether to shoot the snakes or him. They brought in a chopper for him. We never saw him again.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had some dangerous experiences, where I did not duck fast. Comes from hanging out with Marines as a new CPO. Or on ships. None of those were pleasant stories.

Two mildly amusing things do come to mind though. No one was injured in either.

On the range at NAS Agana Guam in 1972, we were 'qualifying' with the 45 before being deployed to Danang. The fellow two down from me had something go wrong and the .45 fired the whole clip like a machine gun. The instructor was right behind him and grabbed him so the weapon was not dropped while still firing.

Another time I was at the carrier pier at NAS Cubi Point. I forget the name of the carrier they were trying to dock. The wind was a bit stiff blowing in from the ocean directly on the side of the carrier. The tugs were running at full power to push it close to the pier. The first line got over and on a bollard. Then something happened and one of the tugs lost power.

The carrier was pulled away and everyone ran before the huge braided line parted. The next day they got the carrier alongside and where the line recoil struck the carrier, it was ripped up like a bomb had gone off.

As said - the military is a dangerous place, and as mentioned above - I guess the Lord has some plan for me, because I can come up with a dozen times when I should have been killed while in uniform. Lot of chances in a 20 year career.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

When I got back to the states I suffered a serious auto accident, which I mentioned in a previous thread. Since I received no injuries jn Vietnam, it would appear that being in the US was the greater danger. Of course that's not completely true. Bad things can happen wherever you are.

My son married a lady with children in high school. Soon after graduating, her son, the oldest, wanted to join the Army. (2016)

She got very upset and worried as he was getting close to going to boot camp. My son asked me to talk to her about the chances of serious injury or death.

I told her that it is not perfectly safe, but the numbers work out that more young people in the military who die do so in circumstances similar to what happens in the civilian world. Auto accidents and such.

I haven't seen any recent numbers, but first term military are a lot like kids going away from home to college. As far as emotional maturity, and making smart decisions. Being in a uniform doesn't fix stupid. Just gives them less free time to do something dangerous.

I understand that off duty auto accidents are still the leading cause of deaths of people in the military.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

I've had some dangerous experiences, where I did not duck fast. Comes from hanging out with Marines as a new CPO. Or on ships. None of those were pleasant stories.

Two mildly amusing things do come to mind though. No one was injured in either.

On the range at NAS Agana Guam in 1972, we were 'qualifying' with the 45 before being deployed to Danang. The fellow two down from me had something go wrong and the .45 fired the whole clip like a machine gun. The instructor was right behind him and grabbed him so the weapon was not dropped while still firing.

Another time I was at the carrier pier at NAS Cubi Point. I forget the name of the carrier they were trying to dock. The wind was a bit stiff blowing in from the ocean directly on the side of the carrier. The tugs were running at full power to push it close to the pier. The first line got over and on a bollard. Then something happened and one of the tugs lost power.

The carrier was pulled away and everyone ran before the huge braided line parted. The next day they got the carrier alongside and where the line recoil struck the carrier, it was ripped up like a bomb had gone off.

As said - the military is a dangerous place, and as mentioned above - I guess the Lord has some plan for me, because I can come up with a dozen times when I should have been killed while in uniform. Lot of chances in a 20 year career.

Wow, having a .45 go full automatic would be enough to scare anybody. The first reaction would be to drop it, which of course would be extremely dangerous. I’ve never heard of that happening before, but understand how wear of certain parts could cause that to happen.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 1911 45 automatic and I don't see how that could ever happen. It requires a trigger pull to drop the hammer and fire the weapon. Maybe a nervous finger on the trigger and no control from rapid recoil could create multiple and quick firing but a standard 45 automatic is not mechanically capable of going "full automatic".

egh33

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know some one up there must like me. 20+ years Military 2 tours in Vietnam.
22 years as a Deputy Sheriff. Been shot at in both jobs. Very lucky in both jobs or they were all just poor shots.
87 years and still going, just not quite as fast.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the enlisted mess

"Hey cookie"
Yeah?
"We're trying to decide something"
Yeah?
"Did you dope the coffee with gun oil or bug juice?"
(expletive deleted)
"And this thick white stuff slopped on the biscuits"
What about it?
"Can you get it off when it hardens"
How about this? You'll eat it, or you'll wear it. If you don't like the chow go eat ashore.
"We are ashore"
Why don't you diddy mau mau into the ville and order up some doggie?

But that man could bake. His muffins were a staple. And it beat heated c-rats. The slimy lima beans and greasy pork chunks were especially hated. We had chicken for Thanksgiving and a slab of pork for Christmas. I still cannot stand the sight of Fanta or Burgermeister. The ARVN camp with the LUURPS compound got sealed pouches of dehydrated food and I remember excellent corn chowder.

* This post was edited 01/02/21 06:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the attached news articles and photos reveal I almost burned alive in a shot down unarmed Army medevac helicopter in Nam in 1970 and tragically our young crew chief from California was killed just after we escaped the flaming inferno. Prior to that flying with a different crew my medevac was severely shot up during the May 1970 Cambodian incursion while trying to land and evacuate shot down Army air crew.

Flew 526 medevac Dustoff missions and evacuated over 1500 from the combat LZs including civilians, allied and U.S. soldiers. Dustoff One One June 9, 1970.

[image]

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN4GSRZVt_VCw4Hzf_LeTyngXRdwAONF060GG--

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPLVeVhS7PuPNiQ-7SjosYeW2VjkYF7yzxY-Jib

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMlDM1UwVDhOuf1XNz6XFLpfGdp4aQy-blguFKU

* This post was edited 01/06/21 01:03am by NamMedevac 70 *

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

In the enlisted mess

"Hey cookie"
Yeah?
"We're trying to decide something"
Yeah?
"Did you dope the coffee with gun oil or bug juice?"
(expletive deleted)
"And this thick white stuff slopped on the biscuits"
What about it?
"Can you get it off when it hardens"
How about this? You'll eat it, or you'll wear it. If you don't like the chow go eat ashore.
"We are ashore"
Why don't you diddy mau mau into the ville and order up some doggie?

But that man could bake. His muffins were a staple. And it beat heated c-rats. The slimy lima beans and greasy pork chunks were especially hated. We had chicken for Thanksgiving and a slab of pork for Christmas. I still cannot stand the sight of Fanta or Burgermeister. The ARVN camp with the LUURPS compound got sealed pouches of dehydrated food and I remember excellent corn chowder.

Our Mess was truly excellent. Great food and lots of it. Army Qui Nhon Viet Nam. A bad cook would be sent elsewhere. The CO and everyone ate there.
At Ft Eustis one morning the biscuits were incredibly hard. Watched a Troop break a plate with one.mess Sgt lost his stripes. They blamed the training class somehow. We all were starved and double timed to the Mess. They locked us out. We went back to the training area building and those with any money bought the few items in vending machines. Supper don't remember if we had it or not. I imagine our CO got the Base Commander involved.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

I don’t remember having trouble with mosquitoes in the parts of Vietnam where I was located. I do remember coming across some really large other types of vermin, such as the huge scorpion we found in the supply tent where I slept at night; made me glad I slept off the ground on a cot

There were also humongous centipedes with large, scary looking fangs. One of the guys caught one and tethered it to a long string. He Would take it for walks, like it was his pet dog. One day, He was taking his “pet” for a walk and,as I happened to be driving a Jeep, I decided to be mean and ran his centipede over. I don’t remember his reaction, but I was glad to be rid of that ugly thing! [emoticon]

We had huge several inches long cockroaches in Nha Trang and Qui Nhon and Phu kat between the sand bags around the hooches.
One evening coming from the showers thought I saw Dauhsund. Whistled for it and it came toward me....It was huge rat weighed maybe t least 10 lbs, I think. I reversed course almost dropping my towel wrapped around me.
Brother in Law's recon patrol was attacked by a tiger! They shot it to pieces of course.
Driving a different way to town I saw yellow snake with some black makings on top of a fence post. It was Bamboo Viper, I was told. several Vietnames stopped their bikes and were pointing to it.
Every morning I checked my boots and every night I checked between the covers. I never found anything but some of the others weren't so lucky.
My hootch had bullet holes in the rear wall and the screen torn from Tet 68.I wasn't in the hootch. One hole was just above the top of my bunk and it exited through the door below the screen.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Reminiscing...harrowing Experiences in the Military
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.