RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Breaking down and smoking a turkey?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Breaking down and smoking a turkey?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Leo Benson

CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gkainz wrote:

Do you need to break it down because of smoker rack size? Consider spatchcocking the bird if you can fit it in your smoker. Everything lays flat and gets even smoke and heat.
Also, I smoke poultry as hot as I can get my smoker - ignoring the smoker's mantra of "everything low and slow". Basically, I'm oven roasting birds in my smoker. Eliminates the rubbery skin problem and produces a nice crispy skin.
I can easily get 325-350° in both my wood fired and propane fired smokers.

Yes exactly, due to the rack size.

Leo Benson

CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great suggestions, much appreciated!

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great tips!

- Brining isn't "curing" but does a few things. Flavor, of course, but it helps the very lean meat retain moisture. It also give you some "wiggle room" around doneness. IOW, if you overcook it it doesn't dry out.
- Soy sauce should be avoided in any brine as it throws off the salt %. A turkey shouldn't be brined longer than 24 hours. A chicken can be brined in about 90 minutes.
- For the meat to take the smoke, let the sit in the refrigerator UNCOVERED for a few hours. The surface of the meat will dry and become tacky. This is known as a "pellicle" gives something for the smoke to adhere to.
- Gas is a very dry heat and will pull the moisture out of anything it cooks. Seasoned wood has the most moisture with lump charcoal a close second.
- Smoking chips. Use the largest size chips you can find. Some brands are nearly sawdust. Avoid these.
- It isn't necessary to soak chips. The fire will only dry the chips first, and only then will they produce smoke. The key is to keep the o2 levels low by using the lid or draft doors.
- DON'T OVERSMOKE. A large turkey only needs about 30 minutes of actual smoke. I try to add my smoking chips about 30 minutes into the cooking process. Over smoking is bad.
- Get a good wireless thermometer. Dark meat needs to be 180 but the breast is done at 165. The automatic "pop-up" timers go off somewhere between 190 and 225.
- Save the bones and make stock!

Here's my video on how to cut a chicken. It's the same anatomy for a turkey.

https://youtu.be/k6g0wClvASM

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Breaking down and smoking a turkey?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.