|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Boondocking Etiquette

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Scooper31

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello!
We're just getting started with a new ClassB+ RV and have had one nagging question that we can't seen to easily find an answer for in the ethosphere....When boondocking in a Federal Park etc what is the accepted way to "hold" your parking spot when you travel into town or away sightseeing for the day? Should we bring along some foldable sawhorses, maybe leave a couple of cheap camp chairs set up? We intend to use our Class B as general transportation and don't intend to tow a second vehicle. Thanks and Happy New Year to all!!! Jim & Kellie

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave a chair or sawhorse with a note attached and dated. Stating that you are camping here and will be back in a few hours.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave two cheap bright red chairs with a note. I cable lock the chairs to something if possible. And I take a photo of the camping tag on the post and the chairs with my vehicle.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally, you can't "boondock" in the national parks.
- In the National Parks, there are formal campgrounds. Usually there is a post at your site where you put the reservation slip after you pay for the site.
- On BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land, you can often boondock. There your idea of a sawhorse with a note should generally work but no guarantees.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you carry a ladder with you, we have seen people leave those set up on the site with a posted sign that says the site is "OCCUPIED". They either had the signs made, or found them to purchase some where. They were good size and easily seen. They often do that in campgrounds too.

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found - all bets are off if you leave, the site becomes available. I would not intrude on a marked site but many people would.

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A sign like this works for us. We clip it to post on formal campgrounds. Make sure you are registered!
Campsite Occupied
I would not leave items like a good ladder or chairs. In the old days yes, but times are changing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

AJB

SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same situation as you. We bought a cheap 2 person tent and set that up when we went on day trips. Takes up very little space.

NatParkJunkie

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

second for a cheap tent. I keep it stored way in the back of my truck camper. If I want to "reserve" a legal campsite in a first come first serve campground or dispersed camping site, I will sometimes set up the tent in an obvious spot out in the open.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BLM & USFS, many State lands are open to dispersed camping. Many are not. Inquire from the dept. for maps, before you go. the USFS calls theirs MVUM ( motor vehicle use maps ) that show where and when you can camp on or use forest service land.
BLM & State lands have their own rules, of dispersed camping locations and ' marking your site'. while away for the day is accepted with personal effects
14 day stay limits are the normal, with a move of 25 miles to the next site.
I have seen this rule broken in Az. BLM, rigs a month or more in the same spot. Here in the Black Hills NF , it is enforced. A ranger will make you move.
Off Road Vehicle use on the land seems to be a concern, with wild land fire major. The areas Ive seen off limits to dispersed camping are areas with tall grass, dense forest, remote for emergency fire service.
Get out and enjoy your lands. Be respectful, do no harm. Any unnatural marker you are away for the day should do.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Boondocking Etiquette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.