|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Lifting my class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I recently redid the rear springs and added a leaf--one leaf was actually broken.
A broken leaf spring is certainly something to check for, but you bring up an interesting subject of adding another leaf per rear corner to get more lift.

Simplest and cheapest solution !

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I added a single roller which fits the hitch.

I did the same. From what I understand, the castors can easily overstress the rear of a frame rail if one contacts the ground. The downside to either the roller or the castors is that when they contact the ground it starts to unload the rear axle, which can lead to losing traction if the surface is at all slippery. Your rig seems to have a really lousy wheelbase to length ratio. I wonder how it will handle with a trailer in tow.

Nomadist

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

The buttons will not let you post pictures but...

***Link Removed*** and it will walk you thru the process,good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Thank you, IAMICHABOD, I'll give that a whirl.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Nomadist welcome to the forums. \
One problem you're going to find is that any added wheels or rollers will further decrease your ground clearance.

Have you tried entering driveways at a 30 - 45 degree angle instead if straight on? This may buy you some clearance as one wheel can start lifting the coach before the hitch in the center hits.

Look under at the mounting point of the springs to the rear axle. If you have leaf springs and if they sit on top of the axle you can easily add a spacer to gain some height.

Air bags in the rear will help as well/ But make sure they are ones that you can adjust from the drivers seat.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's your pictures
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I recently redid the rear springs and added a leaf--one leaf was actually broken.
A broken leaf spring is certainly something to check for, but you bring up an interesting subject of adding another leaf per rear corner to get more lift.

Simplest and cheapest solution !

I did the shocks as well and the combo of springs and extra leaf improved the ride. I already had air tabs and they help too!

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"...does it simply prevent the rear from lowering or can you get some additional height, too?"

Air bags do not add weight capacity...they level/raise the RV.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful with a whole lift kit, because you will raise the center of gravity and absolutely kill the handling and also you will have increased height and potential clearance issues with overpasses.

Easy solution: 1) enter/exit all slopes at 45* angle and 2) add airbags with built in compressor and cab switch so you can dial in extra clearance when you need it.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Nomadist

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@Lwiddis thank you.

@opnspaces thank you for the welcome and also thank you for posting the pictures. I went back to the original post and tried it myself to learn how to do it. But I still appreciate your gesture.

I'll definitely go more on an angle to lessen the problem.

I just checked underneath and I'm discovering some things. I bought the rig from a dealer who accepted it as a trade-in from the original owner. I never got to talk to the owner.

But it's clear that the owner towed something because the rig came with the hitch and he bought the V10.

Actually looking underneath showed me several interesting things:
1. it already has castor wheels. See picture below. I haven't had a reason to look behind the rear skirt and they are invisible looking directly at the rear because of the skirt. That's niceā€”one less thing to install.
2. it does have leaf springs and they are mounted atop the axle. Thus, it appears I can put a spacer there and an extra spring.

Peering underneath showed me the castor wheels:

[image]

So, given that I still want extra height, it seems the new short list in rough order of preference is:
1. install a spacer
2. install another leaf spring
3. install a rear stabilizer from Hellwig
4. install new, stronger shocks (but only if necessary)
5. install air bags
6. install front stabilizer
7. install a front-and-rear lift kit

It seems to me doing 1 + 2 + 3 get me really close to what I want. If not, I replace the shocks and add the air bags and front stabilizer. It seems that the full lift kit (with its high cost) isn't necessary at all.

Did I miss anything?

It seems likely this will give the rear 3 extra inches. The rear will be higher than the front but that shouldn't cause a problem, correct?

* This post was last edited 01/01/21 12:20pm by Nomadist *   View edit history

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would start with the lift kit but 5" seems like a lot. Is it even level as it sits? Seems low in the rear. Have you put it on a scale? You may need to increase the rear spring rating along with changing the arch to give lift. Adding a leaf would just be a patch.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Lifting my class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.