|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Lifting my class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

membt,

Do you mean 3 feet--or three inches?

3’ by memory....I’ll measure tomorrow. The one on our 5th wheel is about 5 feet long.
The extra length provides better protection...IMO, where as a narrow dolly wheel can hit a hole or low spot and offer no benefit!

I can also supply a photo, if wanted! memtb

* This post was edited 01/02/21 07:48pm by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

normadist, from your photo....it appears that the rollers could be removed and replaced with roller, using the same roller base/frame. I’ll get a photo or two of mine, tonite !

I was incorrect on the class c roller length ,it’s been awhile since I was under there. The roller is only 24”, with roller diameter approximately 4 1/2”. It is secured to the receiver outer frame same as your rollers. If you wanted longer, the roller mounting brackets could likely be mounted to the rv frame. If done this way, it would make the roller approximately 18” longer, giving greater coverage. If mounted to the RV frame, the roller would still run beneath the receiver hitch frame, helping prevent it from connecting pavement or getting hung up on something.

The photo was taken from beneath the rv, looking toward the back. It’s rather tight under there, I hope that the photos will offer some help! memtb

[image]
[image]

Our 5th wheel roller runs from frame rail to frame rail. The roller is 70” in length, giving nearly side to side coverage.

Nomadist

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@gotsmart interesting that you have an actual skid. It's got some wear but not too much.

In my case, I don't think the receiver can go higher without needing to go through the white bumper because it would be mounted atop the crossbar. It looks that the configuration is different between the two rigs.

But look at how the designers figured out for your rig that the wheels needed to be pushed back and a slope added to the rear overhang, as well. Your rig is longer but those two changes increase the departure angle a lot. As someone else pointed out, the geometry of my rig simply doesn't give me much to work with—which is another good reason to keep my changes to a minimum. Anything I do won't change this rig's departure angle much.

@memtb thanks for those pictures! That's what I was thinking of (though I remember one even wider; no matter). Interesting how your roller is mounted beneath the receiver hitch. The only thing with that is that the bottom of the roller is about the same distance from the frame as the bottom of my wheels. Changing to a roller reduces the chance of a wheel getting into a hole—but it doesn't buy me any more inches/increase my departure angle :-(.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 01:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I’d think twice about removing the spacers on the drag wheels if you plan on towing a trailer. Looks like they were designed that low to at least keep the true or hitch a little ways off the ground in a dip.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Gary45

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my case, I don't think the receiver can go higher without needing to go through the white bumper because it would be mounted atop the crossbar. It looks that the configuration is different between the two rigs.

I think you will find that with his hitch as with mine the cross bar is mounted between the frame rails not attached to the bottom - that places the receiver just below the bumper, the rest of the hitch being up above the bottom of the frame. I know that with my 27 foot backing into my driveway even on a 45 degree angle if I had a hitch like yours that roller and the angle iron part of the hitch would tear up my driveway.

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great advice given...the one nice thing about those Firestone bags is they don't take much volume so they can quite literally be pumped up with a bicycle pump. Also, check the top bracket on those bags. The one in the picture appears to be angled slightly. The ones on ours are square to the axle.
You may not need, or want, the rollers once you have implemented the suggested suspensions upgrades/changes.
Gary

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb,

Thanks for the pictures.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

memtb,

Thanks for the pictures.

[emoticon]. You bet! memtb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Lifting my class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.