|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper and TT Combo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

The above numbers have no use with TC as camper weight in +-100% go on rear axle.
So starting point should be reading RAWR and putting the axle on scales.

The rear GAWR is 7,000 lbs. Haven't been to the scales. Would I get it weighed empty to find my starting point?

Steel beds usually put about 3500lb on rear axle, so you can put about 3500lb TC on it.
Now 750lb tongue weight will put over 1000 lb on rear axle and you need to substract that number from TC weight you can put on this truck.
Long story short, you need dually.
Lot of members here tried to make SRW working by changing wheels to 19", putting WD hitches and suspension upgrade, only after spending few thousand dollars for additional stuff- they bought dually on the end.

mrgrim007

CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

mrgrim007 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

The above numbers have no use with TC as camper weight in +-100% go on rear axle.

The rear GAWR is 7,000 lbs. Haven't been to the scales. Would I get it weighed empty to find my starting point?

Steel beds usually put about 3500lb on rear axle, so you can put about 3500lb TC on it.
Now 750lb tongue weight will put over 1000 lb on rear axle and you need to substract that number from TC weight you can put on this truck.

I was afraid someone would say that. We just got this truck in July and really like the SRW. Didn't realize a truck bed would add that much weight. Thanks for the help.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:

Not sure where to ask this, so I'm starting here. Thanks in advanced.

We have a 2014 RAM 3500 Cummins SRW with about 4,300lb payload. Our current travel trailer is 4,300 empty, 6,000lb GVWR.

We'd like to get a single-slide camper and tow our TT with the camper in the bed.

The camper we're looking is a Palomino HS-1914 Backpack. It weights 3493 empty. "Wet" weight is about 4,700, I think.

While towing with the camper in the bed, we'd leave the camper as empty as possible and put most of our stuff in the TT.

Is this a crazy idea? I know we'd need to get extension bars of some sort to tow the trailer. Weight-wise, we'd be cutting it pretty close I think.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Crazy idea, YES.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

mrgrim007 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

I was afraid someone would say that. We just got this truck in July and really like the SRW. Didn't realize a truck bed would add that much weight. Thanks for the help.

OP, you’ve heard all the numbers now and didn’t understand basic weights of what you were carrying and given that lack of understanding, I wouldn’t feel comfortable recommending you hooking up your proposed load and hitting the road....
However, real world, not vehicle mfg ratings (IE the Ram 7klb rawr is 3000lbs shy of what the axle mfg rates it at), it’s doable and can be safe if you set your truck up right, and know how to drive vehicles at their max capacity.
We’ve been hauling basically the same weight camper on a short bed Ram 2500 for years, including a 6000lb boat on a 2’ hitch extension. On OEM wheels and 3750lb tires.
Yes I was dipping in to the factors of safety of components but it was a reliable setup for years.

If you want to do this, I say you still have the right truck, but for the best reliability and safety, I’d slap some 19.5s on it or at least some Method NVHD wheels and some 4000lb or greater rated tires.
Springs, can hold what you need with air bags and a big sway bar, but the best setup would be to either add some 2500lb helper springs or upgrade the leaf pack to 6000# springs.
8’ bed, 10’ camper, hopefully you can get away with a 2’ hitch extension. If so, the OE hitch with simple extension will hold a 600lb tongue weight.
Towing? You basically won’t know the trailer is there with the TC on the back. Power, fuel mileage and drive ability will be largely the same (provided your TT doesn’t tow like c rap currently).

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mrgrim007

CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

mrgrim007 wrote:

Not sure where to ask this, so I'm starting here. Thanks in advanced.

We have a 2014 RAM 3500 Cummins SRW with about 4,300lb payload. Our current travel trailer is 4,300 empty, 6,000lb GVWR.

We'd like to get a single-slide camper and tow our TT with the camper in the bed.

The camper we're looking is a Palomino HS-1914 Backpack. It weights 3493 empty. "Wet" weight is about 4,700, I think.

While towing with the camper in the bed, we'd leave the camper as empty as possible and put most of our stuff in the TT.

Is this a crazy idea? I know we'd need to get extension bars of some sort to tow the trailer. Weight-wise, we'd be cutting it pretty close I think.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Crazy idea, YES.

What makes it crazy?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your idea was ok...its just any one ton SRW cannot carry 4000+ lb in the bed without exceeding the trucks 7000 RAWR. That 7000 RAWR will be the lessor of the tire...OEM wheels...rear spring pack. That high payload sticker comes from the trucks both axles. Just the fallacy of using GVWR number for how much load the rear axle can safely carry.
Tires aren't the weak link anymore with many in the 3700-3800 lb range.
The 18"-20" OEM wheels which are rated in the 3600 lb range.
Rear spring packs about the same as OEM wheels.
Just a higher rated tire won't get you there

To use your 3500 SRW for your idea your gonna' need uprated 19.5" tire/wheels and rear suspension upgrades such as air bags or reworked rear springs for more load capacity.The rear axle is rated by its mfg in the 10k-11k range so its plenty strong up to that amount.

Every truck owner should know their trucks front and rear separate axle weights before loading. This will be the workable payload for a TC and a TT hanging way out back.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mrgrim007

CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to the scales today. My steer axle is 5,240 lbs and my drive axle is 3,320 lbs. Full tank of diesel. Gross 8,560 lbs. Definitely a good thing I went and now I understand the numbers a bit better.

Now I just need to find someone to trade their DRW for my SRW...

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:

Now I just need to find someone to trade their DRW for my SRW...

Good luck with the trade. A DRW will be better in this case. I really think the SRW is probably a better trade than the opposite. Most people want a SRW.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of people around here load up there pickup with a cord or more of wood and pull there camp trailers...Maybe 3000# give or take in the pickup bed and a camp trailer...Those with duallies usually carry 1.5 cords plus the trailer...Never seen one with issues..It's just a common thing in these parts..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 01:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

First I would be extremely cautious about manufacturer's weights. That 4700# wet weight may not include accessories. For my RV the missing accessories included the A/C unit, solar panels, additional battery, awnings and more. Even if you want to keep any storage in the TC to a minimum, you can easily add another 500# for cooking gear, refrigerator items, minimum amounts of food, clothing, etc.

Anyway the details hardly matter you will be way overweight:

4300# load capacity, minus 350# for two passengers, minus 4700# wet weight, minus 700 tongue weight, minus 500 gear, minus 200 bed mat, tiedown brackets and fastguns. You will be 2200# overweight and almost all of that will be on the rear axle greatly exceeding the tire and wheel load ratings.

200 lbs for a bed mat?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper and TT Combo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.