|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper and TT Combo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 01:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:

Went to the scales today. My steer axle is 5,240 lbs and my drive axle is 3,320 lbs. Full tank of diesel. Gross 8,560 lbs. Definitely a good thing I went and now I understand the numbers a bit better.

Now I just need to find someone to trade their DRW for my SRW...

That seems heavy to me. My 03 dually weighs less and I am heavy myself.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to know that the Torklift hitch extension supports WD, I didn't know that!

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Lots of people around here load up there pickup with a cord or more of wood and pull there camp trailers...Maybe 3000# give or take in the pickup bed and a camp trailer...Those with duallies usually carry 1.5 cords plus the trailer...Never seen one with issues..It's just a common thing in these parts..

I've been carrying 4300 lb of gravel on my F250 as all the time.
The difference is that I could shovel the gravel to put load COG close behind the cabin and I drove it at lower speeds on short distance.
TC has fixed COG, so you can't transfer more of its weight on front axle and we tend to drive those sets long hr at high speeds.
Tires can take even 3 times the nominal load when rolling, but it is heat generated with overload and high speed that will kill them.

mrgrim007

CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Your idea was ok...its just any one ton SRW cannot carry 4000+ lb in the bed without exceeding the trucks 7000 RAWR. That 7000 RAWR will be the lessor of the tire...OEM wheels...rear spring pack. That high payload sticker comes from the trucks both axles. Just the fallacy of using GVWR number for how much load the rear axle can safely carry.
Tires aren't the weak link anymore with many in the 3700-3800 lb range.
The 18"-20" OEM wheels which are rated in the 3600 lb range.
Rear spring packs about the same as OEM wheels.
Just a higher rated tire won't get you there

To use your 3500 SRW for your idea your gonna' need uprated 19.5" tire/wheels and rear suspension upgrades such as air bags or reworked rear springs for more load capacity.The rear axle is rated by its mfg in the 10k-11k range so its plenty strong up to that amount.

Every truck owner should know their trucks front and rear separate axle weights before loading. This will be the workable payload for a TC and a TT hanging way out back.

Do you think the TC alone (not towing a TT) is still too much for my truck? Assuming we try to keep the tanks empty and pack light.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the TC you are considering- you will be on the edge, but controllable to some degree.
Even with dually, I made habit of loading heavy stuff on front, when rear wardrobe had light stuff only.
All water and beer supply would go to truck cabin (we have SuperCab just for that).
When I was buying heavy camper with F250, I moved spare wheel to front hitch.
That alone took close to 200 lb from rear axle.

mrgrim007

CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

With the TC you are considering- you will be on the edge, but controllable to some degree.
Even with dually, I made habit of loading heavy stuff on front, when rear wardrobe had light stuff only.
All water and beer supply would go to truck cabin (we have SuperCab just for that).

Thanks, that makes sense. We're considering getting the TC before getting the DRW and not towing. Not sure how long it'll take us to get into a DRW.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:

Not sure how long it'll take us to get into a DRW.

Took me 6 weeks. Even I adjusted camper COG to make it better fit on F250, the vision of having tire blow on freeway with high load did not make me sleep well.

mrgrim007

CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

mrgrim007 wrote:

Not sure how long it'll take us to get into a DRW.

Took me 6 weeks. Even I adjusted camper COG to make it better fit on F250, the vision of having tire blow on freeway with high load did not make me sleep well.

That's not bad! I've already started looking, but haven't found any that would work for us so far...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Thanks, that makes sense. We're considering getting the TC before getting the DRW and not towing. Not sure how long it'll take us to get into a DRW.

TC will be fine. If you read my post and observe the multitude of others hauling big slide out TCs on srw trucks.
The biggest issue with your proposal is outfitting 2 trucks or at a minimum installing twice and removing once if you get a compatible dually.
Even with a 3500 dually, you’ll still likely need or want the bags/springs, sway bar and of course tie downs. If this type of stuff is an afternoon project for you and you get the same model and the upgrades are compatible then no big deal.

If you’re now set on upgrading trucks, it would be smart to do that first.
It should be a relatively even money deal save for taxes to get a comparable used dually.
I’d start placing adds for sale or trade and see what pops up. If you can score a private party trade that is ideal imo. No taxes due and no dealer markup/markdown.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Do you think the TC alone (not towing a TT) is still too much for my truck? Assuming we try to keep the tanks empty and pack light.

What Kayteg1 has some good advice.
Simple numbers tells you 3320 lb rear axle minus 7000 rawr leaves 3680 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend driving 24/7 over axle/tire load ratings. Now if your just hauling 4k lbs of green wood or a load of RR ties from Lowes or a bed load of gravel for short run then you won't hurt the truck any.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper and TT Combo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.