RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Truck Camper and TT Combo

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Truck Camper and TT Combo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

Senior Member

Joined: 10/04/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/02/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Do you think the TC alone (not towing a TT) is still too much for my truck? Assuming we try to keep the tanks empty and pack light.

What Kayteg1 has some good advice.
Simple numbers tells you 3320 lb rear axle minus 7000 rawr leaves 3680 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend driving 24/7 over axle/tire load ratings. Now if your just hauling 4k lbs of green wood or a load of RR ties from Lowes or a bed load of gravel for short run then you won't hurt the truck any.


That 7000 RAWR is based on the tires and wheels not what the axle is actually rated at (over 9000 by the MFG). Keep that in mind. Everyone will go off on the door tag. but all the DOT looks at is are you over the tire/wheel ratings and have you paid the proper weight fee. If you are close to the tire and wheel rating when you get the TC upgrade the tires and wheels to something like 19.5 vision wheels and 19.5 tires in a 245/70R19.5 those have load ratings of 4500 pounds.


2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags


mrgrim007

CO

Full Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile



Posted: 01/02/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Do you think the TC alone (not towing a TT) is still too much for my truck? Assuming we try to keep the tanks empty and pack light.

What Kayteg1 has some good advice.
Simple numbers tells you 3320 lb rear axle minus 7000 rawr leaves 3680 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend driving 24/7 over axle/tire load ratings. Now if your just hauling 4k lbs of green wood or a load of RR ties from Lowes or a bed load of gravel for short run then you won't hurt the truck any.


That 7000 RAWR is based on the tires and wheels not what the axle is actually rated at (over 9000 by the MFG). Keep that in mind. Everyone will go off on the door tag. but all the DOT looks at is are you over the tire/wheel ratings and have you paid the proper weight fee. If you are close to the tire and wheel rating when you get the TC upgrade the tires and wheels to something like 19.5 vision wheels and 19.5 tires in a 245/70R19.5 those have load ratings of 4500 pounds.


Someone else mentioned that as well - upgrading the wheels/tires. That's definitely something I'm going to look at! Thanks! Gives me some hope for at least hauling the TC alone, haha.

mrgrim007

CO

Full Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile



Posted: 01/02/21 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

mrgrim007 wrote:

Went to the scales today. My steer axle is 5,240 lbs and my drive axle is 3,320 lbs. Full tank of diesel. Gross 8,560 lbs. Definitely a good thing I went and now I understand the numbers a bit better.

Now I just need to find someone to trade their DRW for my SRW...


That seems heavy to me. My 03 dually weighs less and I am heavy myself.


My numbers are off. I had about 80 lbs in the bed.

* This post was last edited 01/02/21 04:27pm by mrgrim007 *   View edit history

mrgrim007

CO

Full Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile



Posted: 01/02/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Do you think the TC alone (not towing a TT) is still too much for my truck? Assuming we try to keep the tanks empty and pack light.

What Kayteg1 has some good advice.
Simple numbers tells you 3320 lb rear axle minus 7000 rawr leaves 3680 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend driving 24/7 over axle/tire load ratings. Now if your just hauling 4k lbs of green wood or a load of RR ties from Lowes or a bed load of gravel for short run then you won't hurt the truck any.


That 7000 RAWR is based on the tires and wheels not what the axle is actually rated at (over 9000 by the MFG). Keep that in mind. Everyone will go off on the door tag. but all the DOT looks at is are you over the tire/wheel ratings and have you paid the proper weight fee. If you are close to the tire and wheel rating when you get the TC upgrade the tires and wheels to something like 19.5 vision wheels and 19.5 tires in a 245/70R19.5 those have load ratings of 4500 pounds.


Someone else mentioned that as well - upgrading the wheels/tires. That's definitely something I'm going to look at! Thanks! Gives me some hope for at least hauling the TC alone, haha.


How do I figure out what the axle rating is?

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/02/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

...... minus 200 bed mat, tiedown brackets and fastguns. .....




200 lbs for a bed mat?


200# for bed mat, tiedown brackets and fastguns. I bet the weight would actually be considerably higher. Those horse mats are really heavy and Torqlift tiedown brackets are massive, especially the front brackets that fit my Ram 3500.

In any case it really makes no difference. The OP's plans would overload the truck by at least 2000# and that overload is mainly the excess that the wheels and tires are not rated to carry.

mrgrim007

CO

Full Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile



Posted: 01/02/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

zcookiemonstar wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

...... minus 200 bed mat, tiedown brackets and fastguns. .....




200 lbs for a bed mat?


200# for bed mat, tiedown brackets and fastguns. I bet the weight would actually be considerably higher. Those horse mats are really heavy and Torqlift tiedown brackets are massive, especially the front brackets that fit my Ram 3500.

In any case it really makes no difference. The OP's plans would overload the truck by at least 2000# and that overload is mainly the excess that the wheels and tires are not rated to carry.


So....get bigger wheels and tires?

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/02/21 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrgrim007 wrote:



So....get bigger wheels and tires?


When I was in this shoes, I read forum replies.
Several members reported that they spend couple thousands dollars on 19.5 wheels another thousand for air bags an compressor, another thousand for this and another thousand for that, finally coming to the point that it is hard to beat dually.
I used other's experience and come to the same conclusion without dropping thousand$$$$ into project.





mrgrim007

CO

Full Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile



Posted: 01/02/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

mrgrim007 wrote:



So....get bigger wheels and tires?


When I was in this shoes, I read forum replies.
Several members reported that they spend couple thousands dollars on 19.5 wheels another thousand for air bags an compressor, another thousand for this and another thousand for that, finally coming to the point that it is hard to beat dually.
I used other's experience and come to the same conclusion without dropping thousand$$$$ into project.


I agree. I'm pretty much past the TC/TT combo. But I think we're still gonna see if we can make a TC work with our current truck. The one we're looking at says 4,700 wet, which I think we can make work...but we'll be looking at other, lighter options as well. Thanks for you help.

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 01/02/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t think anyone bought air compressors and air bags for load, but the point remains that 19.5 wheels/tires are about the same cost as the difference between a DRW and a SRW. If you are someone who is going to change tires because you always do, then I’d also consider the 18s that have a 4080 lb capacity if your rims are 18s, and a DRW simply won’t work for you.

In my case, I had a SRW and Supercab because a DRW with Crew Cab wouldn’t work for me as a daily driver. I added 19.5s simply for more room for error, but I still carried the bare minimum when I had my SRW. If you can get by with a DRW, it’s simply easier to make it work and not have to worry as much about what you carry and/or be able to choose a larger TC.


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/03/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

op wrote:

How do I figure out what the axle rating is?

The 2500/3500 SRW Dodge/Ram from '03 on up use the AAM 11.5" rear axle which AAM rates it around 10800 ? lbs capacity.

The 3500 DRW used the same 11.5" axle till sometime in the 20teens when Ram upgraded to the AAM 11.8" rear axle.

Dodge/Ram derates it by using lower rated tires...wheels and rear spring packs. So you have around 3800 lbs of reserve capacity before exceeding AAM ratings.

If I was dead set on using a TC that size on a 3500 SRW, I would load it all up then hit the scale to see how much help the trucks OEM tires...wheels...and rear suspension needs to be safe.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Truck Camper and TT Combo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.