RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Enlarging my parking for the motorhome...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Enlarging my parking for the motorhome...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Looks good but the only thing i would have done different is skip the straps and add more rebar. Straps kinds look "RedNeck". [emoticon]

History lesson!

Long before the "common" definition of a "Redneck":

1638-1641 Scottish Presbyterians would not accept the Church of England as the official state church. Many signed the National Covenant documents in their own blood and wore pieces of cloth around their neck as a distinctive insignia. The term Red Neck became slang for a Scottish dissenter. Many fled to Northern Ireland and eventually the USA.

The Ludlow, CO Massacre, 4-20-1914. From the State of Colorado House Joint Resolution on the 90th anniversary of "one of the bloodiest assaults on organized labor in American history"- between miners and Nat'l Guardsmen which resulted 19 dead inc'l 13 women and children hiding in tents.
(Picks up at about the 14th "Wheras" & abbreviated)
"Wheras Greek miner Louis Tikias in charge of the large tent camp suggested that all strikers wear a red bandana around our necks, as the Greek miners already wore.. Now the bandana becomes our proud uniform, and every one of us is a redneck!"

The Matewan, WV Massacre, 5-19-1920. The coal mine wars. Ten people died, which led to a massive labor insurrection and national coverage ....of ten thousand miners all wearing red bandanas marching through Southern WVA.

Lots of the miners migrated South, working the fields (as the only job they could get). So the term "drifted" from it's original meaning. They were poor, often illiterate miners, often called hillbillies, Rednecks (or worse) - but had nothing to do with working in the sun - or "strong ties" securing posts!

~

* This post was edited 01/01/21 03:35pm by Dtank *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work DC! And love the new place, as is evident y’all do as well.
You’ve got basically the perfect location for weather, scenery etc. A very beautiful part of the state!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

The Ridgeline is a a lot of truck, plenty of payload, 18" wheels, AWD that rides and handles like an Accord with pretty much the same economy/performance.

"Straps kinds look "RedNeck".

Hey, I resemble that remark. [emoticon] Actually I am a liberal redneck... I get to annoy everybody!

[emoticon]

Nice!

Equal opportunity offender. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here with a final update. After compacting the new pad several times, first with my Rzr, then the Honda and finally with 11,000# of coach and gently wetting it down a couple of times it was down about an inch from completely level with the existing concrete driveway. Nothing another half ton of gravel would not cure... so off to the yard onece again. I went with the concrete rock this time, all rock/gravel {no dirt} and aesthetically it nearly matches the driveway.

After spreading and leveling I rolled the coach up and down it at least a dozen times and then parked it using a pair of yellow Leggo blocks under each of the passenger side duallies. The coach is now dead level not only from side to side but front to back as well. My 25,' 30 amp extension cord is due in today and will enable me to connect to the dedicated 30 amp outlet my electrician installed at the front corner of the garage. The coach now sits 12' back down the driveway from the front of the garage and I gained a full 3' of additional clearance on the south side.

Like the man said... "Mission Accomplished". My bill for the beams, hardware and rebar at Home Depot was $245. The gravel yard got me for an other $28 and I get my Ibuprofen for free from the VA. [emoticon] Here are a couple of pics:

[image]

[image]

I

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Enlarging my parking for the motorhome...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.