RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: New Border Regulations

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > New Border Regulations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/30/21 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

Monoramblee:
How true. Just leaving the house to buy groceries can be stressful
We mostly just stay home.


As an essential worker it’s doubly stressful.

Just imagine what goes through your head flying to a foreign place meeting God knows who then loading a patient in the back and flying back home to the family.

Every tickle in your throat brings on the worst possible thoughts.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/30/21 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

wintersun wrote:

With only 400,000 Americans in the ground from Covid-19 it is hard to understand the concern of the Canadians to having visitors from the USA. I would guess that the OP is not aware that the death toll is 1000 times higher in the USA than in many other countries where the people behave responsibly and wore masks and self isolated.
Other than North Korea, which by it's own admission has not had a single COVID case, what country has a reported death rate 1000 times lower than the US? I'll answer that question, there are six: Thailand, Papua New Guinea, Mongolia, Vietnam, Tanzania and Burundi. The wealthiest of those six countries, Thailand, has a Gross Domestic Product 1/8th that of the US. If you really want to hold those nations up as paradise found, you will probably find yourself in a very small minority.



GDP does not relate directly to the quality of life and happiness. I live in Mexico in the countryside. Many of my neighbors up in the hills live in cabins and cook on wood stoves. They wouldn't change it for anything. They're happy, carefree, and live to be in their 90s.

The other countries rely heavily on credit and steep borrowing which will never be paid back, both governments and citizens.


2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/30/21 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“.... 'll answer that question, there are six: Thailand, Papua New Guinea, Mongolia, Vietnam, Tanzania and Burundi....”

The fact that those countries aren’t exactly a Mecca for tourism, even before a pandemic, has nothing to do with it of course.

Very few people drown in the Sahara Desert either, do you think that’s because they’re better swimmers than we are?

wapiticountry

Mountain West

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/31/21 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

wapiticountry wrote:

wintersun wrote:

With only 400,000 Americans in the ground from Covid-19 it is hard to understand the concern of the Canadians to having visitors from the USA. I would guess that the OP is not aware that the death toll is 1000 times higher in the USA than in many other countries where the people behave responsibly and wore masks and self isolated.
Other than North Korea, which by it's own admission has not had a single COVID case, what country has a reported death rate 1000 times lower than the US? I'll answer that question, there are six: Thailand, Papua New Guinea, Mongolia, Vietnam, Tanzania and Burundi. The wealthiest of those six countries, Thailand, has a Gross Domestic Product 1/8th that of the US. If you really want to hold those nations up as paradise found, you will probably find yourself in a very small minority.



GDP does not relate directly to the quality of life and happiness. I live in Mexico in the countryside. Many of my neighbors up in the hills live in cabins and cook on wood stoves. They wouldn't change it for anything. They're happy, carefree, and live to be in their 90s.
And your observations are why anecdotal evidence is not really evidence at all. The fact is the average life expectancy in Mexico is 3.7 years less than the average life expectancy in the US. (Mexico 75.41 years, US 79.11 years) I am sure there are people in the poorest of countries, living in abject poverty, who are happy and billionaires in wealthy countries who are unhappy (see the Zappo's guy). But GDP does tell part of the story regarding access to quality healthcare, clean water and food, longevity, security (both personal and political) and many other factors that determine the health and happiness of the entire population.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/31/21 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

And your observations are why anecdotal evidence is not really evidence at all.

The fact is the average life expectancy in Mexico is 3.7 years less than the average life expectancy in the US. (Mexico 75.41 years, US 79.11 years).


And you’re reply is equally flawed my friend.

The per capita murder rate in the US is 5 / 100,000, in Mexico it is 29 / 100,000, nearly 6 times that of the US.

That would skew average lifespans considerably, especially if it was primarily young people being murdered. .

silversand

Montreal

Senior Member

Joined: 09/12/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/31/21 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Magicbus wrote:


I couldn’t find anything mentioning canceling flights to the US


...this would be US Virgin islands and Puerto Rico. Considered the Caribbean.

As far as I can tell (searching all Canadian carrier flights with US continental destinations), I can see very few flight cancellations next week. I did see numerous Canadian airlines with rather unusual departures-only FROM Mexican international airports. I suspect that Canadian airlines are flying to Mexico (nearly) empty, and loading up with repatriating Canadians IN Mexico.


Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

Senior Member

Joined: 09/12/2004

View Profile



Posted: 02/02/21 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silversand wrote:

As far as I can tell (searching all Canadian carrier flights with US continental destinations), I can see very few flight cancellations next week. I did see numerous Canadian airlines with rather unusual departures-only FROM Mexican international airports. I suspect that Canadian airlines are flying to Mexico (nearly) empty, and loading up with repatriating Canadians IN Mexico.


....I'm following all passenger flights World-wide, real-time, and focusing on incoming/outbound flights from Canada/USA/Latin America. Anyone in Canada can actually jump onto ANY US air carrier departing from any Canadian international airport, and with one hop, get to any Canadian sun destination, no problem. Also, the "reported" $2000+ CAD cost to returning Canadians (and virtually anyone coming into the country by air) can vary, depending on how rapidly the Canadian airport-given PCR test turn around would be-- following reports now (ie. if the traveler gets their results showing negative in 3~5 hours, the 3 days in a Federal -appointed "quarantine hotel" would be zero days, and proceed to home under a 14-day quarantine). PCR tests given at US airports vary from ~$120 to ~$150 USD approximately. So, deducing, the cost for a Canadian airport PCR test could be in the ~~ $300 CAD range (to be confirmed).

To be clear: I'm not promoting Canadian non-discretionary travel by air. I believe that all non-discretionary air travel World-wide should be halted immediately till a re-evaluation period in early summer. Partial geographical air flight bans don't work, and are a miserable failure; too many ways to "burn Rome" and get around measures

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/02/21 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just let our good friends, who want to travel, from Canada, come south. We need them down here in Mexico. Those that want to stay home ......ok.

Monaramblee

Canada

Full Member

Joined: 05/18/2020

View Profile



Posted: 02/02/21 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do the buffets work at the resorts in Mexico? Same as usual or do they serve the food now?


2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 02/08/21 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida misses our Northern neighbors.

[image]

Dave


Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > New Border Regulations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.