RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: disappointing info for Jeep Trailhawk flat tow

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> disappointing info for Jeep Trailhawk flat tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
firetruckin

Pacific NW

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a new Jeep Trailhawk in 2014. We found this Jeep had the transfer case neutral button which would allow flat towing behind our motorhome. The salesman and the owners manual confirmed that this Jeep could flat tow. A couple of years ago I purchased the base plates and related tow equipment to install myself. I later found out I would need to take it to the dealer to have a flat tow wiring harness installed. After dropping it off the dealer called and said this vehicle can not be flat towed. It has to be all four off the ground to two.[emoticon] I called the Jeep customer service 800 number to check for sure and they said based on my VIN the Trailhawk doesn't have the right power train. So frustrated to find this out. I see so many Trailhawks being towed.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear your news. Towing capability has always been a slipery slope going back many years. I was concerned about our 14 JGC towing due to Jeeps Death Wobble which seems to be related to Electronic Power Steering. Fortunately our's has hydraulic steering which provides adequate damping. It has an electric motor to run the pump but is otherwise hydraulic.

EPS is a great option that allows different steering based upon road conditions. Jeep's Cherokee solution is a switch that allows the EPS to run while being towed and likely a charge line to the battery would be a "requirement".

Point being when the mfg promotes invalid information plus whatever a dealer says it can become a owner problem.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

navigator2346

Wa and points South

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have that little button on the console or wherever, I would follow the instructions in the manual just to verify. I would also do some internet research to verify what you were told by customer service. They have been known to give bum info

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not being able to rely on the manufacturer’s owner manual is unconscionable.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could also go the route of a driveshaft disconnect. Now that you're so far into everything for flat towing would be cheaper than getting something else to flat tow and set everything up again.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/21 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have active drive 2 in the Jeep? I’d question wether the dealer was right or not, what does your 4 wheel drive button in the center console look like? I’d get the build sheet from your vin and look it up. Pm me I might be able to help, I have a 2019 trail hawk

https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/cherokee/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-jeep-cherokee-can-you-tow-it-behind-a-motorhome.html

Winnebago Access 24V

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travisc wrote:

Do you have active drive 2 in the Jeep? ...
OP I agree, dig into what you are being told. Maybe it's the death wobble issue and they don't have the wiring harness anymore???

There is a LOT of information on towing and Jeep issues. Here is just one thread. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-trailhawk-questions-518579.html

I read a lot until finally satisfing myself that my 14 JGC Overland had the right drive train and no death wobble because it has hydraulic steering. I think that the most critical issue is the type of drive train but folks on the above know a lot more than me...

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Not being able to rely on the manufacturer’s owner manual is unconscionable.

Provided the correct owner's manual is in the matching vehicle. We bought a late model used truck to tow. Fortunately we had done our research on the vehicle and knew it could be towed. It didn't have an owner's manual in it. It wasn't even a year old. When we went to pick it up, it had one in it. When I asked, they told me they took the one out of the other similar truck on the lot.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typically in the past if a Jeep or other brand has a neutral position in the transfer case it could be towed. Has that changed recently?

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? Or a Compass/Renegade?

The Cherokee needs to have Active Drive II for it to be flat towable. And being a Trail Hawk it does indeed have it and the N position in the T-case for it to be flat towable.

A Grand a Cherokee needs to have Quadra Trac/Quadra Drive II (these will have the N button on the shifter dial) to be able to be flat towed.

If you have the Compass or Renegade with the Trail Hawk pkg then those cannot be flat towed or put on a dolly, they need to go on a trailer.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> disappointing info for Jeep Trailhawk flat tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.