RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: disappointing info for Jeep Trailhawk flat tow

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> disappointing info for Jeep Trailhawk flat tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

firetruckin sorry for the headache you've gone through. Sadly the marketing of the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is confusing as it shares the nameplate with the Jeep Grand Cherokee but as you've found its not the same rig. The Cherokee, Compass and Grand Cherokee are all on three different platforms, thus it's confusing to figure what can and can be towed, and made worse if the owners manual is wrong.

Is getting out of the one you have an option? have having it 6 years that maybe a good choice, if you want to go that route. The dealer might be able to find something on a trade that is tow able, what about a used Wrangler, maybe 2 door?

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I think you’re confused about something. Those 2 vehicles don’t share the same platform.

Also, you may learn that car dealers don't know much about their cars.

I did a little online resing on your behalf and there is literally nothing about a 2014 Cherokee not being towable 4 down if it has a 2 speed transfer case.

I'm going to sound condescending by saying this, but are you sure you don't have a Compass?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if it's front wheel drive you may be able to use a remco lube pump for auto trans front wheel drive cars.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the Trailhawk trim is present on many of the different jeep platforms- if you have the compass that model is not flat towable if you have an automatic- looking at Roadmaster- they say the manual transmission is towable-
https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/fitmaster-results/?years=2014&make=JEEP&model=COMPASS

Hope that helps.

Winnebago Access 24V

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailhawk is a trim level of a particular model Jeep, but I am not sure which models all carry the trim level of Trailhawk.

Which "Model" is your Jeep?
Liberty, Compass, Partiot, Cherokee, Renegade, Grand Cherokee?

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

firetruckin wrote:

Thanks to those that provided questions or offered positive responses. As to the point of this post coming 6 years after purchase of Jeep...We bought it brand new with intention of towing it years down the road. It wasn't until last year I began getting ready to tow. Slowly acquired parts and was finally ready to go. After getting the information that it cannot be towed it brought up two thoughts. 1) How many people out there have the same set up but didn't do the research and started towing? 2) I was hoping on the chance someone on the forums knew more details that would help me. Our Trailhawk is listed as a Cherokee. It is built on the Compass platform. Although it does have the transfer case neutral switch it is front wheel drive. That it why Jeep said there will be drivetrain damage if flat towed. Looks like we'll have to make a new plan. I have a Jeep YJ that is heavily modified for off-road use. We do on occasion trailer it to use as a driver. Not the most fun because it's not easy to climb in and out of or drive on the highway[emoticon] The Trailhawk doesn't fit on my current trailer and I want to elimnate the need for a trailer. We use to flat tow before the Wrangler before it was modified and that was SO easy.

So you are saying you have a Cherokee and it has the N position (Active Drive II)? If so it is most certainly towable 4 down! But then you say it's only front wheel drive! Can't be both! And you keep calling it a Jeep and then Trailhawk. Which actual model do you have? I, confused.
I'm a tech at a CJDR dealer. I have set a few of these up for flat towing for customers, even non TrailHawks that can be ordered with Active Drive II. Not sure who has told you they cannot be towed 4 down with Active Drive II.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> disappointing info for Jeep Trailhawk flat tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.