|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/21 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“in the Plague Hot Spot that is SoCal..”

And getting worse everyday. Very scary.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come down to Texas in August.

A lot of open spots in most campgrounds. Some of the cheaper ones like COE or State Parks may be crowded.

Most folks in Texas like to be someplace cooler than home in August, say Colorado.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no clue what it will be like and am only hoping that it will return to somewhat normal. Quite a few campgrounds were busier than normal in the Yellowstone area outside the park and the park itself was busy, but we got a site at a popular CG doing what we have always done - camp close by overnight and head over early to snag a spot then return for our 5th wheel.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am already finding it much more difficult to find sites to reserve in Colorado in July--September. We used to travel there without concern about finding a campground with open sites; now we have to be fast on the draw when the six-month window opens up for state parks and national forest parks.

As for Texas in August, I'm with Paw Paw. The best place to camp in Texas in August is in Colorado!

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

padredw wrote:

I am already finding it much more difficult to find sites to reserve in Colorado in July--September. We used to travel there without concern about finding a campground with open sites; now we have to be fast on the draw when the six-month window opens up for state parks and national forest parks.

As for Texas in August, I'm with Paw Paw. The best place to camp in Texas in August is in Colorado!

In the Summer - you are Correct! Hard to be in a CG that does not have a number of Texas Tags, especially in the San Juan's.

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being an Oregon camper I found all parks maxed out. State parks are always full during summer so no change there. It was the Fs types that were packed. It was trending that way for the last 3 years. 10 years ago you could arrive on a Friday night around 6:00 pm and get a spot. In the last 3-4 years the show up times decreased and most of the FS campgrounds we frequent started filling up on Thursday afternoon.
Last year was a mess and even some of the RV parks we frequent were packed all summer even during the week.
With record sales predicted again for 2021 and many newbies still enjoying the RV lifestyle I don't see much changing here.
YMMV in other states.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been getting harder to get into campgrounds for the last 5 years for us weekend warriors with kids.
My youngest starts college in August, and we are working from home, so we are hoping to be able to work from the beach for a week or two this fall.
Here in the southeast, the State Parks and COE campgrounds on the lake or beach stay booked on the weekends almost a year in advance. I know a few people that will grab a site for every weekend of the summer, then cancel the ones they don't want at the cancelation deadline.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been boondocking and riding A LOT in the California deserts this past year. It's a safe way to get away and it's about as socially distant as you can get.

We've seen bigger crowds than normal in 2020, but more remarkable is how people have stretched the season out. In the past, we'd never see anyone out in the desert beyond April or early May, and then again nobody before late October. The normal kickoff to the riding season is typically Veterans Day in early November. But we saw people out there in big numbers all through May and into June, and then in HUGE numbers starting in late September while it was still pretty hot.

We were out for eight days after Christmas and it was the most crowded we've seen it in years. I was sorry to see so many huge camps though (we called them Super Spreader Camps). That seemed pretty irresponsible to me, but nothing surprises me anymore.

But with remote work orders still in place and schools closed, it's pretty easy to pull up anywhere with a halfway decent cell signal and work for a week or so out of the RV. It's a pleasant way to be, and my coworkers get a kick out of my ever-changing Zoom backdrops.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

Or found out it is more work than they thought and the DW still has to cook, so it's no vacation for her at all and reminds you that you should have never bought that d@mn thing!

Our destination trip, for next Aug we have booked a return trip to Association Island KOA, NY we generally go with 2 other families. Because of covid we had to book forward 1 week as everything was taken up. Next few weeks I will be booking my long weekend trips, I don't think I will have a problem booking as I am familiar with the parks.

I do hope there is a large inventory by the end of next year. 2021 will probably be my last year with my Tacoma & TT as we plan to go in deep with a new setup. [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

Where we have camped

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.