RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Arctic package black tank valve not shutting

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Arctic package black tank valve not shutting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 Genesis Supreme toy hauler and the black tank valve is not shutting. Since it has an arctic package the valves are within the insulation area. I am wondering how the system works? I am guessing there is a cable that runs to the valve or is it a rod? Also what is the common route to the valve, from the top through the top or do I need to remove the plastic sheet on the bottom? Just looking to get some ideas before I tear into this. Thanks!

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must access from the bottom. Cut a 3 sided panel leaving the front side intact. Four bolts hold the valve in place. Repair with Gorilla tape when done.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a lot like a bicycle brake cable (different size of course).

Typically the valve is at the side of the tank near the bottom.

Yes, to access it you need to get thru whatever they covered the bottom with. If they were nice, there is a small removable panel...but most don't do that.

Once you have access, it's pretty simple with 4 bolts holding the valve in place.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. That lines up with what I thought. I see the propane pipe is below the plastic sheet so this will be a good challenge. I think I will replace these valves with electric units once I can get access to them. We camp at the ski resort in freezing weather so I need the valve to shut every time.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lamopar wrote:

Thanks. That lines up with what I thought. I see the propane pipe is below the plastic sheet so this will be a good challenge. I think I will replace these valves with electric units once I can get access to them. We camp at the ski resort in freezing weather so I need the valve to shut every time.

Replacing the manual valve with an electric one won't make it any more reliable - probably even less so (more parts and a motor to fail).

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it depends on what the problem is. If it is in the cabling an electric valve might work better. If it is the valve itself replacing it with electric or another manual or cleaning up the existing might or might not solve the problem.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

lamopar wrote:

Replacing the manual valve with an electric one won't make it any more reliable - probably even less so (more parts and a motor to fail).

Rob

Agreed, you add complexity and more parts that can fail.

I would look at an easily removable panel if you are worried about it failing again. If you can get at it, it's really not a big job to pull it apart and either clean up or replace the valve. Your bigger issue is if you can't get it open because now you have a full tank and when you go to pull it apart all that waste is going to come gushing out.

They are fairly reliable if you use them regularly. Don't leave the valve in the open position except when dumping. Otherwise, crud can get into the slots the valve fits into and cause it not to seal properly.

lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have replaced valves on our previous toy hauler and yes it is very easy. I am just concerned with a cable system. This morning when looking up information on the net I found several people who stated they replaced the valve and cable and still had problems with the valve not closing. I know from my previous unit the valve had to have some good pressure to close completely. I guess that is my thought process with the electric motor version vs a cable.

We have never left the valve open. We don't camp for very long periods so getting the tank full has not been a problem.

So have any of you had good luck with a cable type system over time? I know on bikes, dirt bikes, ATVs the cables fail unless maintained with lube and still don't last long. Just wondering if this is the same case with RVs or since it is somewhat sealed not a problem? By the way, I really appreciate the feedback and information.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most cable systems on bikes only pull the device, a spring returns things to the original position. The dump valves depend on the stiff cable to push the blade shut, ever try pushing a rope? No lube is recommended. My thought is that there are many installations where the cable is bent too much, the specifications are in the installation manual. To add to the problem, "stuff" can flow into the area where the blade is pulled when the valve is anywhere but completely closed, IMO that is a design defect.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lamopar wrote:

... So have any of you had good luck with a cable type system over time?

We were full-time in our previous fifth wheel for 4-1/2 years. I drained the gray tanks every 2 - 3 days and the black tank once a week. Never had any issues with the valve cables (they are a rod on either end with a flexible cable in between). Only a little over 10 months in our new rig, but so far no issues.

Rob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Arctic package black tank valve not shutting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.