|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> How did I do this? - Bent Ball Mount

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CaptainLarry

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is all great discussion. I honestly did not expect such helpful treatment. I look forward to passing this along and encouraging my friend (I wonder if you guys think "my friend" is actually me. [emoticon]) to join the discussion.

Here are the stats. He is already doing some more thinking himself.

As already stated: https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb-capacity-weight-distributing-hitch-system-67649.html

Make and model?

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-shasta-flyte-travel-trailer-floorplan-315ok-tr19997

2014 Shasta 315 - the above link says 5,800 lbs. dry, but our sticker says 6,400.

He measured 1000 pounds tongue weight nearly empty and expects his loaded tongue to be more like 1100. (overloaded)

I'll have to think through the scenarios you all have proposed and ask him about his friction sway set-up.

Thanks.

CaptainLarry

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did ask him to remove the ball. It was wiggling when I saw it but he did not have the tools to remove it at the time. Certainly something odd going on there.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bet it had something to do with the dual little balls on the side and getting the trailer in a jack-knife situation and those dumb friction sway bar things that folks think do anything just bent the hell out of it... ha, ha...

Yeah, yeah... Everyone needs "sway control".... Been towing stuff with the same EAZ-Lift hitch and bar setup for almost 20 years on 2 different trailers and have yet to need to add that little ball thing...

I do like the grease zerks on the sides where the bars would slide into.. Wish mine had those... I just grease my bars manually, so it still works.. [emoticon]

[image]

Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It appears that you are using 2 sway bars. My guess is you backed up without releasing the tension of the sway bars. You need to release the tension always when backing up. You also do not need two sway bars. one sway bar puts tension on the other. Add some cheap Chinese steel and you have your answer. FYI Curt is Chinese junk if that is what that is.

* This post was edited 01/05/21 05:49am by cavie *

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like already stated a few times... Harbor Freight is GREAT for some items.... disposable gloves, tape, open end wrench for an odd job, misc hand/non power tools tools..

I would NOT buy anything from them that was directly related to the safety or well being of my family , or anybody elses family...

want a tarp, great run over to HF.... Want a hitch, buy from someone else..

and YES - you DO get what YOU pay for

Just MY opinion

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Harbor Freight unit is physically IDENTICAL to the Reese 49903 model, and I have not heard one disparaging remark about it until today. It's one of their "hidden gems" and I fully expect that the damage here was done by mistake.

Even being a little bit overloaded shouldn't bend the hitch.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

It appears that you are using 2 sway bars. My guess is you backed up without releasing the tension of the sway bars. You need to release the tension always when backing up. You also do not need two sway bars. one sway bar puts tension on the other. Add some cheap Chinese steel and you have your answer. FYI Curt is Chinese junk if that is what that is.

I agree, backed up with the sway bars on instead of taking them off. Usally when they sell the smaller kit ,its only one bar. They do help, but i had them on my pop up that was like 3500 lbs. I would get something diffrent for a heavier trailor. But you will break stuff if they are overnightined or if you back up with them on.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP didn't ask for opinions concerning the hitch brand. Bashing the hitch brand or its the brand products sure doesn't help the OP with his question.

I would look at a new hitch with the same part number and see if it looks the same.

This website needs a no brand bashing rule like one of my non rv forums that is ham radio/electronic Communication devices/etc. They have a no tolerance policy. One bash and your history. Its a great forum to learn without the "my brand is best and the other brand is junk" that is a fact of life on the website.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

handye9

Brown City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have bent one myself, and it was not Harbor Freight brand, it was made by Draw Tite. I forgot to remove the sway bar, prior to backing up. It not only bent the hitch head, but also snapped the small ball mount off the trailer frame.

Over the years, I've installed maybe a half dozen of these sway bar kits. All of the owners manuals had a statement about removing the bar, prior to backing up.

18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never used a sway bar and my trailer is real heavy with 3 axels. Snapped the ball right off years a go going 70mph and hit one of them whoop-dee-do bridges near Burlington NC on I-40.....Thanks to a good truck damage was minimal. Another time on MD Rt 3 someone came South in the North bound lanes. I went in the medium and hit a tree the Reese brand hitch bent up a good bit where the ball mounted but nothing broke. Buy the best you can it may save your life.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> How did I do this? - Bent Ball Mount
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.