|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Comparing New Tires for trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

The Carlisle HD as long as their not the standard worthless Carlisle tires. As others have suggested I would go with a larger size 13" tire if you have room with the highest weight rating. It sucks to have a flat on the way to a camping trip.

Good point.
Carlisle has 5 different trailer tires in their catalog so it makes a huge difference is which one is selected for a road trailer. At the top will be their;
Radial Trail HD.
Other Carlisle trailer tires are;
Ultra Sport LH
Sport Trail RH
USA Trail
CSL 16 all steel...16" load G .

A few ST brands are well suited for a road trailer. Other ST brands work fine for utility trailers/other trailers that make trips around town a few times a year.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

BurbMan...not saying your thought of replacement is wrong. My disagreeing, is only a difference of opinion. [emoticon]

Hey Jerry, my Dad used to tell me that I was always entitled to my opinion, no matter how wrong it may be...LOL

When it comes to vehicles, I agree with you 100%, I buy the best tire I can find. Tires are not the place to skimp when it comes to bad weather and heavy traffic.

I actually converted to LT tires on the trailer back in 2012. I went from 15" to 16" rims and installed a Lippert Correct Track alignment kit to give me the 2 1/2" of lift I needed.

I used the TowMax PowerKing or whatever they're called for years until one blew out, that's when I decided to make the change to LTs. I decided I was done once and for all with cheap maypop trailer tires.

What I found out while installing the Correct Track kit was that the shackle bushings were shot, one of the shackle plates was almost worn through, and the "smoking gun": The Trail Air equalizer was rusted and frozen in position. Unable to articulate, the equalizer wasn't able to balance the load between the curb side tires, resulting in the tire that blew being significantly overloaded.

So what I thought was a tire problem was really a suspension problem.

Fast forward 4 years and my top-quality LT tires still had 95% of their tread left but the sidewalls were badly checking so I had to replace them anyway....

* This post was edited 01/06/21 11:55am by BurbMan *

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, stay away from any tire made in China, you're just asking for trouble. If you can install a truck tire then do that and you won't have any tire issues.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Comparing New Tires for trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.