|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Avoiding Low clearance routes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find that Railroads overpasses will often be low overhead clearance. The access to one campground we used had a 13'6" overhead RR. Tree limbs are a problem to deal with. One KOA in CA we stayed at had to cut limbs the size of my arm in diameter to be able to back into the lot they assigned me at the front office.

GPS and Trucker Atlas do not list low tree limbs.

Thekutman

Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! I am overwhelmed at the support and response! I will be looking into a few of these avenues as precautions! I have spoke with the resort where I booked our first set of reservations, they said all limbs clear. I will do this with the other resorts as well! Thank You everyone who responded!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://youtu.be/USu8vT_tfdw
For your viewing pleasure.
What they said, also a good idea to have your height on your visor in case you forget or someone else is driving. Watch the trees also, they can lean into the roadways if you in small towns. Stick to the truck routes. If in dought, go slow and have a spotter or go around. Its not worth it, see video above.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless we know the backroads in question, we stay on truck routes. We use the tried and proven paper map system....Truckers Atlas! No incorrect downloads, cell phone failures, ect. at the most inopportune times! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truckers Atlas, Good Sam Trip planner, Garmin for RV, Googles Map and homework. Been on the road for 11 yrs. doing the byways as much as we can. Only way to see small town USA. Never had to turn around or back up for low clearance.

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL 5th Airborne

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you choose a "truck/RV" GPS - cruise around with it in "OMG!" mode tow vehicle only for a while so you understand what it is on about when it is in warning mode.

Also when you have planned a route with 2 inches to spare under a particular bridge BEWARE of fresh paving under the bridge [emoticon]

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest problem is with the GPS or my own brain fart, turning onto a residential street with trees.
I once went into a gas station with a close overhead canopy. My truck reached the first pump without the trailer getting under it. While filling, I was eyeballing the clearance. This other guy goes "Awe, you'll clear it." No, I backed out.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- Coming Up

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

If you choose a "truck/RV" GPS - cruise around with it in "OMG!" mode tow vehicle only for a while so you understand what it is on about when it is in warning mode.

Also when you have planned a route with 2 inches to spare under a particular bridge BEWARE of fresh paving under the bridge [emoticon]

Can't always go by those numbers posted on warning signs...

The RR bridge around the corner from my office has a posted clearance of 12'2"...

There is at least a dozen big rigs (box trucks X 52') that go under it daily, all have about an inch or two to spare.... You can tell the new guys to the area as the hold everything up and are very couscous , and the regulars don't even slow anymore.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Posted signs are typically a few inches lower than actual clearance so if you bounce a little, you don't hit. Also paving projects include updates to the signs (you will often see where on an overlay project, they gap out the underpass and mill out that area before paving so it doesn't reduce the clearance. Incorrect signs are an extremely rare concern as it will be quickly apparent when local trucks start hitting the bridge.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

My biggest problem is with the GPS or my own brain fart, turning onto a residential street with trees.
I once went into a gas station with a close overhead canopy. My truck reached the first pump without the trailer getting under it. While filling, I was eyeballing the clearance. This other guy goes "Awe, you'll clear it." No, I backed out.
JK

Both true. I actually won't use GPS while towing. I don't have the more expensive units that can take clearances into account, and I don't trust the in-vehicle system in my truck not to take some weird turn along the route. I write out directions before I hit the road.

On the gas station front, I will also say that I pre-determine those as well. We are 55' bumper to bumper, so not every gas station is a good option for us. When travelling longer distances, I have no interest in pulling on and off highways in hopes of finding one. So, I use Google satellite images to pre-determine my gas stops. I will often do the same for meal stops as well. It's a bit over the top for some, but I don't mind doing it, and it makes for a much smoother trip, for me, when I know exactly where I'm going.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Avoiding Low clearance routes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.