|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Avoiding Low clearance routes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a full-timer for almost 7 years, 46 states, over 65,000 miles.

I NEVER trust any electronic device to make my routes. I do run the route with my GPS the day, or a few days, before I travel. I also take that information into account as I plan my route with software, and print out my route and turn instructions before I start. I also know where I will stop for fuel and food, and look at those stops with Google maps. I'm 62 total feet long from the nose of the 22' long pickup to the end of the back of the rack on the rear of the trailer where we carry a sewer tote.

Like Mickeyfan0805 - that may be too much for some folks.

I also step through the GPS route - Turn by Turn - I haven't seen a GPS that does not allow you to do that. It's a powerful tool, with the ability to cause great damage if you do not know how to use all the features.

While towing I have TWO RV Gps running. A Garmin set on auto re-calc and auto zoom. One reason is that I prefer the traffic information from Garmin. If my planned route in the Garmin shows me going under low bridges, over bridges where I'm over the load limit, etc - I look at each one individually.

The second GPS is a Rand RV GPS. It is set to show ONE MILE ahead, and NO AUTO-RECALC. I want to see the turns and intersections coming up in the next minute. The GPS does show me how many miles to the next turn/ change of highway. If I miss a turn I do not want it telling me to turn immediately. I'll go to a safe place to stop and look at alternatives.

The GPS does not tell me where to go, my route. It advises me. The decision is mine, and there better be a DANGED GOOD reason for me to follow a suggestion from the GPS that conflicts with the planned route.

This might be more than some people want to do.

But I strongly advise everyone, if something seems weird or fishy. Stop. Look. Research. All that will cost you is a little time. Which is vastly cheaper than any likely damage or such.

Last but far from least - my wife understand my system. How to search for information online (it we have a cell signal - which is surprisingly unavailable in places in EVERY state we have traveled/ camped except Rhode Island). She also understand how to program the two GPS units. She is an important part of our travel process.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 14 seasons & at least 1800 nights behind us. We make an effort to stay OFF the interstates. We have never had to back away from a bridge with our 12'10" air draft though we have done the middle of the road a few times just to be sure.

The biggest risk is in the CG. We have backed away from a gas station overhang a very few times. Anywhere selling diesel will have a high enough roof if there is not a remote diesel pump somewhere.

Height clearance is simply not an issue to sweat over.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interstates, US highways and State routes are the way to go. I've never been turned back by a low clearance and I've all over the US. BTW, for peace-of-mind get yourself a Motor Carrier's Atlas at any truck stop. Trucker routes are highlighted and you'll never have a problem.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

My biggest problem is with the GPS or my own brain fart, turning onto a residential street with trees.
I once went into a gas station with a close overhead canopy. My truck reached the first pump without the trailer getting under it. While filling, I was eyeballing the clearance. This other guy goes "Awe, you'll clear it." No, I backed out.
JK

Both true. I actually won't use GPS while towing. I don't have the more expensive units that can take clearances into account, and I don't trust the in-vehicle system in my truck not to take some weird turn along the route. I write out directions before I hit the road.

On the gas station front, I will also say that I pre-determine those as well. We are 55' bumper to bumper, so not every gas station is a good option for us. When travelling longer distances, I have no interest in pulling on and off highways in hopes of finding one. So, I use Google satellite images to pre-determine my gas stops. I will often do the same for meal stops as well. It's a bit over the top for some, but I don't mind doing it, and it makes for a much smoother trip, for me, when I know exactly where I'm going.

I do this as well with the gas stations, I generally look for a Loves/Pilot/Flying J/TA/Petro station as even their auto sides tend to be big rig friendly. Many Sheetz stations are also an option as are many Racetrack locations. If you have to use a smaller station look for one with pumps parallel to the street rather than perpendicular.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Avoiding Low clearance routes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.