|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Reminiscing, Part 3

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 1951 my parents had a new home built in North Babylon, Long Island NY. The area was pretty rural at the time ; I was then 7 years old. We had a large back yard with woods and a lake just beyond the wooded area. We enjoyed a fun and healthy life as we spent most of our time outdoors.

Wild berries (i.e. Blackberries and blueberries) grew within easy reach, and we would serve them on cereal or with evaporated milk.

We dug underground “bunkers” and, in addition, built a tree house in the woods (fortunately, the “bunkers” never caved in on us and the tree house was pretty sturdy and safe).Somehow, we obtained the lumber, probably from a nearby home being constructed. That was probably the only bad thing we did. [emoticon]

We also enjoyed rafting on the lake with our home-built raft. Fishing on the lake was pretty good. I remember catching many eels ( they were pretty good eating, too, and put up a good fight). I would nail its head to a board and pull the skin off, leaving a solid rope of meat with few bones. Additionally, there were bluegill (aka sunfish), which were also tasty but didn’t have much meat. Occasionally, a trout or catfish could be landed.

Our backyard was large enough that I could grow a vegetable garden. It wasn’t too successful at first, since I was so young and had a lot to learn. When I was grown up, that love of gardening continued and I grew fairly successful gardens at each place we moved. My favorite veggies were zucchinis, tomatoes, cukes and various root vegetables. I tried corn, but didn’t succeed in growing large ears. I didn’t fully understand cross fertilization at the time. Still, the exercise received was beneficial; no machinery was used, only hand power.

We could play in the woods for hours as there were no dangers, except having to be careful of poison ivy and poison sumac Other than ticks, there were only harmless critters living there: garter snakes, squirrels, box turtles, rabbits. One year, I suffered a really bad case of poison sumac. It blew up my face like a balloon. We think it was caused by breathing in smoke from a fire my neighbor had lit to burn plant material that she had trimmed from the woods. The family doctor made a house call in order to treat me. Yes, house calls were still made in those days. His recommended treatment seemed strange. As I recall, it was washcloths soaked in milk, to be laid across my face. Well, he was the doc, and hopefully knew best.

Our neighbors were quite gregarious and we would enjoy block parties at regular times, where everyone pitched in with home cooked meals.

Another lake nearby (Red Mill Lake) provided ice skating, although I never got the hang of it and was too scared of falling down.

Visiting the old home years later, I was appalled at what changes “modernization” had caused. A major highway now ran through what had one time been our back yard, only yards from the house, and a housing development was built on the lakefront of our once pristine lake, There's just no stopping such “progress” from happening! [emoticon]

----------------
You already have a 'Reminiscing part 2' thread running. Use it please, thank you. (Mod)

* This post was last edited 01/05/21 02:29pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Reminiscing, Part 3
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.