RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is the best safe for a TC?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What is the best safe for a TC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see one TC that comes with a floor safe which seems like a good idea for those on long vacations/fulltiming or just spend a lot of time in their TC away..Mine is an older TC but I do want to get a safe for it whether portable or mounted..

What do you use or do you?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think any true safe would be far too heavy and take up too much space. The pistol safes like gunvault are “ok”, but they still take up a lot of room. I think the best option is a combination cable lock run through a solid D ring mount would be the best solution for most people. Any prepared thief to easily defeat any safe, so I think it’s best to focus on the casual thief. I’ve used all, but like I said, I lean toward the cable lock.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one fairly small fireproof safe we used before we got our gun safe but it is as thick as it is big with no handles..There's really no way to secure it..When we had the fifth wheel and travel trailer there was plenty of room to hide and secure a safe,not so much in our truck camper..I'm thinking either really small for the pull up cabinets next to the cabover bed or something anchored in a closet...Kinda lost on this one..

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using file safe placed on the back floor of our SuperCab.
It is light enough for me to carry it in and out. Maybe not extreme safety, but I figure out nobody is going to deal with truck alarm and walk away with it in day light.

[image]

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was a fulltimer I carried all my important papers, passport, non-electronic tax records, etc. I found two extremely well hidden areas for storing this paperwork. I would not have had room for a safe or anyway to hide it. A safe might have protected against the risk of fire damage but would have greatly increased the risk of theft.

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an alternative consider a “console vault” for your truck. These provide pretty good security and the one we installed was very easy to put in.

Just google “console vault” for options

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought this gun safe https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBC4YL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is large enough for important papers also, 3 ways to unlock, has a cable that we attached to a big eyebolt in the bottom of the camper pantry. We move it into the house to its own eyebolt in our master closet. Works fine for us, not too heavy.

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an embedded wall safe on the back wall of a closet in our stick house. Doesn't take up any space and is relatively safe in that lots of damage would have to be done to get it out of the wall taking up too much time for an amateur. Nothing one can do to keep out a pro.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bolted down a pistol safe in my RV. if you want a fireproof safe, additional problems will ensue. unless you are a full timer with no other options, you shouldn't need a fireproof one anyway.
bumpy

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "best" safe is don't take valuable with you !

Realistically, you aren't going to take the time to put a laptop and hard drive inside for a meal out. LCD TVs under 32" are ridiculously cheap (meaning a thief would be lucky to get $10-$20 for one).

I would suspect, most people who take a gun with them are going to carry it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What is the best safe for a TC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.