RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is the best safe for a TC?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What is the best safe for a TC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

The "best" safe is don't take valuable with you !

Realistically, you aren't going to take the time to put a laptop and hard drive inside for a meal out. LCD TVs under 32" are ridiculously cheap (meaning a thief would be lucky to get $10-$20 for one).

I would suspect, most people who take a gun with them are going to carry it.

I would suggest not carrying it in DC or MD.
bumpy

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

These work well. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My idea would be a safe that would take time to open. Put something metal, that weighs about a pound in it, along with some loose nuts and bolts. When you leave, hide your valuables, but leave the safe where it can be seen as soon as somebody gets inside. Thief comes in, finds the safe. He will assume he has the best he can get, so likely will not hunt.

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brholt wrote:

As an alternative consider a “console vault” for your truck. These provide pretty good security and the one we installed was very easy to put in.

Just google “console vault” for options

If you have a vehicle with a built in console this is a good idea. I had one in my previous truck and it was great. It made the whole console into a safe with just enough room between the top of the safe and the lid to keep a few small things handy. It would be possible to break in through the side but the seats are in the way and would take awhile for someone to get in. If they stole the whole truck so they had lots of time they could break in. Wish I had that option in my current truck.

ranholago

CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a smaller box from harbor freight, its bolt down so its not going anywhere, but the better security is that its hidden behind a false panel. If they find it, it will also take a few extra minutes to get it open. Not that they can't get it open, just will take a some extra time.
I don't much care about the tv or any of that stuff, I have the "safe" hidden and locked, for my protection.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I see one TC that comes with a floor safe which seems like a good idea for those on long vacations/fulltiming or just spend a lot of time in their TC away..Mine is an older TC but I do want to get a safe for it whether portable or mounted..

What do you use or do you?

What do you plan on keeping in this safe? That will play a significant role in what kind of safe to choose.

Are you trying to protect important documents from fire? Are you trying to secure valuables? Are you trying to secure a firearm?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a safe bolted down but had to create a steel backing due to the light construction of a truck camper. It is positioned in a location that is not accessible to a pry bar and requires two people to mount or unmount once open. This does not mean that someone with a 8 lb sledge could not free it, but they would make considerable noise for quite some time before clearing and freeing it.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What is the best safe for a TC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.