RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Anyone rent out their camper?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone rent out their camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never would for the same reason I don't like motel rooms. I want to know who slept in my bed the night before.

imq707s wrote:

To me the idea seems crazy, but there is a lady that my wife works with that rents out her camper through one of those rental places. Apparently, she told my wife that with their 24ft bumper pull camper, on average they make around $2,000 a month by renting it out to people.
I’m sure there are extra insurance fees, repairs, and other things that come out of your profit.
I don’t think I could ever be ok with strangers towing my camper behind their vehicle, which may or may not be rated to tow it, by someone who may or may not have ever towed anything before, and could care less about beating it up and damaging it. It just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Does anyone have personal experience it this? Is it as bad as it sounds? There are some many little things I have to do with my camper as far as towing it, setting it up, using the heater/fridge/stove/oven…..having someone with no experience just hook up to it at take off down the road would scare the hell out of me.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

When my son was 20, he asked if he could borrow my RV to stay in at Bonnaroo (a relatively local music festival). He QUICKLY added that I could drive it up (towing my car) and set it up, then afterwards I could come back and break camp and drive it home.

I said "yes, absolutely." Then I said I would even give him the choice of the bed or the jackknife sofa bed. He asked what I meant. I told him I was staying in the RV while it was up there. But, not to worry, I wouldn't bother him at the music festival. I would stay in the RV and read.

That was the absolute last I heard of him borrowing the RV.
Which tells you exactly how your RV would have been treated had you simply let him use it without you there!!![emoticon]

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

When my son was 20, he asked if he could borrow my RV to stay in at Bonnaroo (a relatively local music festival). He QUICKLY added that I could drive it up (towing my car) and set it up, then afterwards I could come back and break camp and drive it home.

I said "yes, absolutely." Then I said I would even give him the choice of the bed or the jackknife sofa bed. He asked what I meant. I told him I was staying in the RV while it was up there. But, not to worry, I wouldn't bother him at the music festival. I would stay in the RV and read.

That was the absolute last I heard of him borrowing the RV.
Which tells you exactly how your RV would have been treated had you simply let him use it without you there!!![emoticon]

I knew better. I watched him growing up. [emoticon]

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife loaned our fully stocked trailer to an employee of hers, a family of 4.
I did question that decision but went along with it....this was years ago.

The family arrived at the house so I could go over the trailer with them and all went well until the husband leaned over and said " hope your truck is an automatic as I've never driven a standard "??.

Week later the trailer returns with damage to undercarriage plumbing, black and gray tank drain valves.
Feel somewhat fortunate that this damage occurred because this is the story I tell whenever friends or family want to borrow or rent our trailer.

The way trailers are built, it would be like renting out wine glasses for supplemental income, NOPE.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone rent out their camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.